Search results

1. paulisme

Sony D-5 LCD problem

So I ordered an original Sony AC-190 power adapter which is the one that was packaged with the D-5, and upon connecting it and playing a disc I got the same result. All LCD segments are still displaying.
  2. paulisme

Sony D-5 LCD problem

I tested it with a multimeter. It measured a steady 9.5V.
  3. paulisme

Sony D-5 LCD problem

I can’t imagine this power supply would do that since it’s meant for guitar pedals. Guitar pedals don’t draw much power and are very easy to fry by supplying more than 9V.
  4. paulisme

Sony D-5 LCD problem

Yes, it’s 9V center negative.
  5. paulisme

Sony D-5 LCD problem

I picked up a Sony D-5 yesterday from Facebook Marketplace, and it’s a really fun unit. While it generally works really well, I’ve noticed a couple issues so far: - The first time I plugged it in, I could smell what I can only describe as a metallic/electronics smell, a lot like the inside of...
  6. paulisme

Need help bringing a Technics SL-210 back to life

It’s alive! I ordered some Super Lube oil (link below), and when it arrived today I dropped some down around the capstan shaft and just rotated it and applied more oil until it started turning smoothly. Once it felt like it was nice and lubed, I plugged it in, turned it on, and the motor started...
  7. paulisme

Need help bringing a Technics SL-210 back to life

I’ve had a Technics SL-210 belt drive turntable sitting in my attic for ages that I’d like to get up and running. A co-worker gave it to me years ago for parts, so it’s never worked as long as I’ve had it. This weekend I disassembled it and Deoxit-ed all the pots and switches including the...
  8. paulisme

Restoring a Pioneer SX-626 - where do I start?

What caps should I replace first? Are there some that will yield better results than others?
  9. paulisme

Sorry for the double-post. I originally posted this in the Solid State forum but was told I'd get more responses here. I've got a Pioneer SX-626 receiver I picked up on Craigslist a few years ago for $30. I've been using it happily for a while but would like to get it up to spec to hear how it...
  10. paulisme

I've got a Pioneer SX-626 receiver I picked up on Craigslist a few years ago for $30. I've been using it happily for a while but would like to get it up to spec to hear how it originally sounded. Overall it performs pretty well, though there's a lot of hiss when I use it with headphones. Also if...
  11. paulisme

Technics SL-Q3 runs for a minute or two, then slows to a stop

Would there be a way to tell which cap is bad?
  12. paulisme

Technics SL-Q3 runs for a minute or two, then slows to a stop

A friend of mine was recently given a Technics SL-Q3 turntable that sat in storage unused for years. Cosmetically it's in great condition, but it has one big problem. The platter will only spin for a minute or two, then it slows to a stop as if someone pulled the plug out of the wall...
  13. paulisme

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Listening to Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies on vinyl with a pair of MDR-V6s.
  14. paulisme

Turntables in the movies

Well, it's my name but it's not me. :)
  15. paulisme

Why would anyone buy a turntable that needs to be shipped?

I agree. That's why I only buy site-built turntables.
  16. paulisme

Turntables in the movies

Hey, that's my name!
  17. paulisme

Rek-O-Kut CVS-14...anyone heard one of these?

I came across this turntable on Needle Doctor. Has anyone used or heard one of these? It looks a lot like the Technics SL-1200. The continuously variable speed has me particularly intrigued...
  18. paulisme

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I have that same turntable. Unfortunately it doesn't keep its speed and I don't know how to fix it :(
  19. paulisme

Jeff Buckley - Grace (2011 Legacy Records Reissue)

I'll probably get it to replace my Simply Vinyl pressing. The SV pressing has some sibilance issues. I'm happy to know the new reissue is pressed at RTI. That's a big deciding factor for me.
  20. paulisme

Record Collection Catalog Software

You can show or hide columns for most of the available fields, and you have 4 custom fields which you can name anything you want. You can also sort by any column by clicking on the column header.
  21. paulisme

Oh, I forgot to mention that dBoot has an import feature, so if you're already using a spreadsheet app like Excel or Google Docs, you can save your data as a CSV file and import it into dBoot. There's also an option for exporting to HTML if you want to publish your collection to the web.
  22. paulisme

I wrote a Windows app a while back called dBoot for cataloging bootleg recordings, though it certainly can be used for commercial recordings (one user even emailed me and said he was using it to catalog his vacation spots). It has fields for album, artist, date recorded, etc. and even has an...
  23. paulisme

Automatic start on Technics SL-1300/1301 - arm goes all the way to the center

I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has any suggestions yet.
  24. paulisme

Play vinyl records with just a PC + a scanner!

I predict the first copy-protected LPs will appear from major record labels within a couple months.
Back
Top Bottom