Search results

1. ETI_5000

Shure M97 tracking force?

Because your PS-X800 automatically rebalances the tonearm electronically prior to every record play, the only thing it needs is that the N97HE stylus (complete with brush) must be in position on the cartridge, and adjusted so that the stylus position is correct. As long as you’ve set the...
  2. ETI_5000

"Modern" Moving Magnet Cartridges

Yes, you could be right about that. However, the material written about new preamps is often more likely to be written by advertising people than engineers, so it might be that an advertising person listening to an engineer talking about RIAA, loading and frequency responses, and why they made...
  3. ETI_5000

Phono preamp question

It’s normal for vinyl records to be much quieter (lower in volume level) than streaming inputs. It’s because the line level voltage (which the phono section of the amplifier amplifies the cartridge voltage up to) is typically a maximum of 1.2 volts AC, while digital (streaming) is about 2...
  4. ETI_5000

"Modern" Moving Magnet Cartridges

‘Older’ magnetic cartridges required capacitance loading typically much higher than modern cartridges, around 400-500pF for Shure MM cartridges designed prior to 1978 (e.g. Shure V15 Type III, M91ED etc), and 350-400pF for Ortofon MI cartridges designed in the 1970’s (e.g. VMS, LM and [hi-fi]...
  5. ETI_5000

Sansui Turntable Purchase

I suspect they’d be fairly similar, so it may not be much of an upgrade as far as sound goes – more like a sideways step. In fact, the Sony turntable is slightly heavier, so may be more resistant to acoustic feedback. However, if the Sansui turntable you’re thinking of buying is still sealed...
  6. ETI_5000

Shibata VS Micro-Linear

Something else....it's most similar to the Shibata, but slightly different in its shape. In dimensions (R x r = 0.25 x 1.5 mil / 6 x 38 μm) it's similar to Namiki's Shibata 3 tip (0.24 x 1.6 mil / 6 x 40 μm) and AT's Line Contact/Special Line Contact (0.28 x 1.5 mil / 7 x 38 µm). Note that any...
  7. ETI_5000

Why is only choice Zerostat?

There are a range of current anti-static record preservative sprays which provide total or partial elimination of static, as well as helping keep the records much cleaner, and sometimes improving fidelity through reducing distortion and improving frequency response (these have both been measured...
  8. ETI_5000

Luxman PD288 counter-weight

I found some extra information about the PD-288 tonearm effective mass. A comparison test in the German magazine Stereoplay (downloaded from the web) in January 1983 measured the Luxman PD-289 (same as the PD-288 except for having a slightly heavier tonearm) as having an effective mass of 15g...
  9. ETI_5000

No, but I’d probably guess it’s between 10 and 15g effective mass, so reasonably low mass – if I had to choose a MC cartridge for it, I’d choose a Denon DL-301 II, but anything up to about 2g tracking force should be OK, as long as it’s not much heavier than about 8g. I used a Denon DL-103D...
  10. ETI_5000

Biradial stylus? Confused about differences.

I think that I was correct about the N75 styli fitting – the Realistic R47XT was the Radio Shack version of the Designer Series Cartridge EJ, and as well as the original Realistic (by Shure) R3X stylus, Shure’s Discontinued Cartridge and Stylus document from 2004 showed the NDC-EJ and N75EC...
  11. ETI_5000

Biradial stylus? Confused about differences.

E96M cartridge = OEM version of Shure DC Cart HE (Designer Series Cartridge). It may have been sold by a chain of American hi-fi or electronics shops in the 1980’s, who contracted Shure to make it for them. Stylus choices included (as pictured above, from the Shure 1982 Stylus Replacement...
  12. ETI_5000

The PD-288 and PD-289 were identical in most respects (mechanically and electrically), except for the tonearms, which were slightly different, especially in their headshells, which are slightly different in size – according to the PD-288/289 service manual, the PD-288 tonearm assembly was part...
  13. ETI_5000

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

Ortofon want you to buy one of their SUT’s, which is why they have given information about them sounding better, which isn’t exactly true any more. While it may have been true more than 50 years ago, when valve (tube) amplifiers were still in popular use, it’s no longer the case now.:rolleyes...
  14. ETI_5000

Shou-Out to Joseph Long

Actually both the DL-301 (first manufactured 1980), and the improved DL-301 MkII (1984), always had tapered aluminium cantilevers. The DL-301 II did (presumably) have a lower moving mass than the DL-301’s 0.27mg, because it used the much lighter, thinner telescoped cantilever which had first...
  15. ETI_5000

Shure N140HE: what other bodies can fit?

Actually, I was wrong about the MV30HE using the same stylus as the ML120HE – the NV30HE was rather better than the N120HE stylus, and gave similar trackability to the V15 Type IV, which was superior to the ML120HE in trackability. But the bodies are all essentially the same (apart from the...
  16. ETI_5000

Shure N140HE: what other bodies can fit?

Manfred left off the Ultra 300, which was essentially the ML120HE upgraded with an MR stylus tip. There was also the MV30HE https://www.vinylengine.com/library/shure/mv30.shtml , which was essentially like an ML120HE integrated on a plug-in SME Series III tonearm tube, but you need that SME...
  17. ETI_5000

SME Series III tone arm opinions?

The input capacitance of the Sony receiver is 100pF per channel (C1307, C1315 – p39 of service manual), which is a very good compromise setting which should suit a wide range of MM cartridges like the Stanton 881S. Stanton suggested 275pF load as ideal, but probably within 75pF of that shouldn't...
  18. ETI_5000

Sony PS-5520 vs Sony PS-333

Welcome to AK.:music: The PS-5520 was an early-1970’s fully automatic belt drive turntable, which reviewers thought was a good value model with good performance (reviews ETI Australia April 1972 https://worldradiohistory.com/AUSTRALIA/ETI-Australia/70s/ETI-1972-04.pdf and High Fidelity January...
  19. ETI_5000

Denon DP-47F tonearm/cartridge questions

The DP-47F’s tonearm effective mass is…zero:) (truly, when the tonearm electronics are on). The effective mass, if it could be measured (it can’t, because of the electronics negating the arm’s physical mass!) is irrelevant with the electronic Dynamic Servo Tracer tonearm on your DP-47F, because...
  20. ETI_5000

Yamaha YP-D8 question

While the 70dB figure was a weighted figure, it easily bettered turntables with a supposed 78dB weighted rumble figure when measured by independent reviewers. For instance, it was exceptionally quiet when Australian Hi-Fi magazine tested it – their unweighted rumble measurement using a test...
  21. ETI_5000

Fisher Direct Drive Turntable speed issue

I’m not sure that your turntable has got much in the way of electronics to clean - apparently it was based on a BSR. However, if it does have any speed-control potentiometers, then they can get dirty, so cleaning them with Deoxit can help. The idler wheel can also cause problems, but how easy...
  22. ETI_5000

Luxman snr values

Luxman often quoted SNR figures using different (strange…:crazy:) standards to other manufacturers, typically IEC-B for SNR. 60dB IEC-B = 75dB DIN-B, for the exact same Luxman PD-288 turntable, one figure (IEC-B) quoted in the English language section of the user guide, the other (DIN-B) quoted...
  23. ETI_5000

Denon DP-47F vs. JVC QL-Y5F

Yes, it's not fully auto, unfortunately, probably because it was based on the professional DP-100, which was aimed at radio stations. It does have interchangeable arm wands, though - there's a screw at the top in front of the arm pivot for removing them to change. Either s-shaped or straight...
  24. ETI_5000

Denon DP-47F vs. JVC QL-Y5F

Nice turntable, and they do look very nice. However, I'd give the prize of best-ever to the statement, cost-no-object Denon DP-100M http://www.thevintageknob.org/denon-DP-100M.html . As long as you had a strong friend or two to move it around, a large room for it, and someone else (a very rich...
  25. ETI_5000

Audio Technica & Project S2 Phono PreAmp Setup

Use the lowest 100pF input capacitance setting, 47kΩ input resistance, and a gain of 40dB for your cartridge.
Back
Top Bottom