Search results

1. absolon

Grace G-940 vs G-840 vs SME 3009 s2 improved

Looking at acquiring one of these three for a project in progress. Cartridges used are in the 20 - 25 compliance region and run at 1.25 to 1.5g tracking weight. SME at 9.5g effective mass is definitely suitable but most expensive. I know from experience the G-840 at 12g works and is recommended...
  2. absolon

ATN20 stylus/cartridge compatability?

I have a chance to pick up one of these stylus for an interesting price but the only cartridge I have that it might fit is an AT12Sa. I have seen some info that says stylii are interchangeable in the 12/13/14/15 bodies and the mount does look to be compatible. Does anyone have better...
  3. absolon

AC riding on regulated DC from power supply?

I'm in unfamiliar territory here and could use some help. I built the "adjustable lab voltage regulator" circuit on page 13 of the LM317/337 regulator data sheet using a WL02 bridge rectifier and 940uF smoothing caps per side to feed the circuit. Outputs from both regulators are bypassed to...
  4. absolon

Which capacitor?

Building a phono stage and have three on-hand choices for op amp 15V power supply bypass capacitors partnered with some 0.1uF MKT. Did some measurements and got the following typical results: Cap A, Elna RE2 general purpose, 47uF 50V, 85 degree, Vloss 1.1%, ESR .33 ohms Cap B, Rubycon YK...
  5. absolon

Linear Technology LT1115 op amps

Anyone used these? I've seen reference to a data sheet phono stage but no word about use in any other application or in any of the variety of DIY projects floating around the net. Is that because they are fussy to implement or don't drop in well as replacements?
  6. absolon

Thorens TD125 value?

Ran across a TD125 with SME 3009 and Grace F9E for sale locally. Stylus is original Grace, not sure of the hours. Don't need the table and am not sure it is a significant upgrade from Fons International/ Grace 707/ Sony MC104P, both are suspended belt drives with low mass arms, but I've got the...
  7. absolon

Ortofon T3000 sut?

Found this item today, looked too interesting to leave behind. Google tells me it is very expensive Step Up Transformer with silver wired, fully shielded transformers meant to be used with a very low output Ortofon MC Cartridge. Is this useful in a more mid level system or does it require...
  8. absolon

Perplexing dropped channel problem

I'm having an issue with a dropped channel on a Dual TT . The right channel is not working, usually completely out but sometimes very low. I have cleaned and tested everything I can think of with no success in tracking down the problem. I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any suggestions. I...
  9. absolon

cheap mp3 music player with line level analogue outs??

Anyone have any experience with these or similar? I'm trying to make an old Sony receiver in my workshop compatible with a large collection of 320 kbps digitized music on USB sticks. The sawdust is hard on CD players and this will make a good replacement if the quality is bearable. Any better...
  10. absolon

Output transistors and setting the bias

Do the output transistors need to be installed when setting DC bias? With the transistors out, the bias adjustment pots have minimal effect and I can't get more than a couple of mV across the emitter resistors. Voltages measured at bias supply and predriver transistors are close to normal...
  11. absolon

Sony TA3200F transistor replacement?

I'm tracking down a problem with one of these and have run into a situation I'm unsure of how to deal with. On testing the driver pairs, the two very obsolete 2SC1161 test out OK but the two also very obsolete 2SA653 test out as bad. Both are board mounted and a TO66 package. I have seen a...
  12. absolon

coupling caps, passive I/V and input impedance

I've recently acquired a Muse 4 x TDA1543, DIR 9001 DAC and it needs an upgrade to the output coupling caps. It currently has some tiny 10uf/100V Nichicon FG that are likely fakes as they are considerably smaller than the size Nichicon lists on their datasheet for the series and rating. I'd like...
  13. absolon

Sony TA3200F repair advice?

Looking for a little advice on a repair to a Sony TA3200F amp. Some five years ago I shorted an output transistor while trying to make a measurement. The transistor, a Sony TX183S, is unobtanium but I got some good advice to use MJ21194 as the best substitute. In my infinite wisdom, I bought...
  14. absolon

carver tfm-25 vs m400t

Is the 25 a significant upgrade over the 400? Took my 400 into my tech (a good one) for service and he has a 25 he has gone over (his own unit) that he will let go for sub-ebay pricing. I use an Acurus L10 and some Lentek transmission lines that like the headroom 200+W offers so am...
  15. absolon

At stylus/cartridge compatability list?

One of the online dealers has a list of AT cartridge families within which stylii are interchangeable but I've lost the link to it. Anyone point me in the right direction? I've got an opportunity to pick up an NOS ATN20 stylus fairly inexpensively but need to find out what it will fit.
  16. absolon

Advice on iso tranny

New to tubes and have acquired a console pull, a Fleetwood 50EH5/12AX7 amp that I am considering as the basis for a beginners project to get my feet wet. Looks like this, including the power transformer: credit to Giovanni Militano for the picture. and schematic: from Dave Dlugos' site...
  17. absolon

Philips CD160 upgrade

I finally got around to the next stage in my ongoing project with these decks. The first stage included rectifier diode upgrades, fresh caps, polypropylene output coupling caps and LME 49860 op amps. This stage included ten new LM317/337 based isolated low ripple power supplies for the...
  18. absolon

Grounding with two transformers?

I would appreciate a bit of advice on a question I haven't been able to work out an answer to. An ongoing project I've been working on involves adding individually regulated power supplies to supply each of the digital ICs on a CD player. I've got the regulator circuits worked out and...
  19. absolon

Best opamp operating voltage?

I'd appreciate some comments about optimal operating voltage for opamps in a cd player. I'm using LME49860 with an input range of +/- 2.5 to 22v and in the course of a project, have the opportunity to supply them with anything from 2.5 to around 18v. I haven't run across any information on...
  20. absolon

Capacitors in a regulated power supply?

I have a requirement for several small regulated power supplies to individually power the ICs on an old Philips CD player project. Required voltages will be +/- 15V and 5V. I plan on using LM317 and LM337 chips and building adjustable supplies based on the schematics supplied in the...
  21. absolon

Resistor quality?

Stumbled on an offer at the auction site for a 1/4W metal film resistor kit, 1500 pcs. total of 75 values for under $20 shipped. Obviously, at about a penny a piece, these come in far cheaper than anywhere else; in fact, it seems far too good to be true. I don't know components well enough to...
  22. absolon

Beogram 4002/4004?

I'm attempting to sort out an arm drop problem with a late series 4004. The arm is unresponsive to both the sensor circuit and the cueing switch. The drop is initiated by a solenoid driven by a Darlington transistor controlled by a two transistor feedback circuit. The solenoid is the nearer of...
  23. absolon

soldering iron tip wear?

I've been more involved this past winter with some repair and modification projects than I have in the past and have spent a great deal more time with my soldering iron than I have previously. I hadn't realized that tip wear is an issue but I'm finding that it is, and that the tip condition is...
  24. absolon

cdm 4/19 to cdm2/10 laser swap

Today was a good day:thmbsp: I've been playing around trying to optimize a couple of old Philips CD160 CD players. These are equipped with the TDA1541 DAC and CDM2/10 transports and are fertile ground for upgrades. The transports use Hall Drive motors, are very durable and generally read...
  25. absolon

Dual 701 thermistor?

I've got a very nice 701 that has a speed issue. It, for lack of a better description, pulses audibly about once a second with very slight speed-up and slow down. I had some good advice from No Transistors about potential causes which involve the capacitors and a thermistor on the circuit board...
Back
Top Bottom