Search results

1. chris8519

The Yamaha A-S2100

Wanted to reply here for anyone considering buying and is reading up on reviews of this amp. This thread helped me make my decision to buy the A-S2100, and I'll share my impressions. 1. I never really knew the definition of "bass control" until hearing this amp. I use a 15" Velodyne sub, and...
  2. chris8519

Sketches of Spain Mono Release - Disappointed

I, for one, have always thought MOST (but not all) mono recordings sound duller than the stereo. The first times I paid attention to the differences were with the Beatles -- and the Stereo always seemed to have more space and top-end. Other mono recordings can sound quite full and clear, such...
  3. chris8519

What about those lined DG record sleeves?

I HAVE had problems with DG liners! For classical, I collect DG pressings exclusively, because of the vinyl quality. But I have seen (and now own) quite a few that have a weird residue / mark on them from the poly sleeve. It looks almost as if an oil slick is completely covering the vinyl. I...
  4. chris8519

New Beatles LP's sound quality review!

Back to the original topic: I wrote a review of the Boxset on SteveHoffman's forums. I originally gave the vinyl quality a 'B+'... but now after listening to the rest of the albums with headphones, I would give it a 'C'. My US pressings are just too defective. Abbey Road is slightly off center...
  5. chris8519

Will the KAB TD-1200 Help My Situation??

Cool, thanks guys! I was not completely certain about the TD-1200, and it looks like it won't work for this issue. Indeed, the Anti-Skate to 0 trick does work, so I will just do that. Thanks!
  6. chris8519

Will the KAB TD-1200 Help My Situation??

Hello all, This problem has been keeping me up at night. I figured AKers will know the answer best! I recently bought the new Beatles vinyl boxset, and it sounds great... except for some surface noise in the right channel on some albums. At first, I attributed it to a few bad pressings...
  7. chris8519

Discwasher D3 brush vs. Discwasher D4 brush

Oh, and the D4 can be used in either direction, although the directions say not. The material is so thin, it doesn't matter which way you push it!
  8. chris8519

Discwasher D3 brush vs. Discwasher D4 brush

I have owned the new-style D4 for more than 7 years now, and here are some caveats: The corduroy material gets pretty stiff after about a year or so. I have tried cleaning it to bring back the softness, but it's not coming back. Now, when I use the D4, it doesn't get fully into the bottom of...
  9. chris8519

Cart suggestions for my SL 1200 MKII

If you like the microline sound (super analytical and rather 'bright'), consider an AT440mla. It is very affordable and offers a clarity I have never heard before -- more so than some of the very expensive carts available. It's a great tracker and it hasn't given me any problems in 1.5 years...
  10. chris8519

More spinning vinyl after my first clean..I'm hitting the mark now!

Anubis -- this game of cleaning Russian Roulette is exactly why I stopped raiding the $1 bins. I RARELY found anything worth spending even a buck on. I would try cleaning them endlessly hoping for magic, but the effort was moot. Still, I don't buy many used records (unless they are higher...
  11. chris8519

Anyone considering a 'silent PC' build?

I love having all my digital music at my fingertips (literally, with the foobar/smartphone controller interface), but I HATE the sound the fans make in my homemade PC. They really aren't too much, but I like a SILENT room when listening critically (and is usually why I resort to CD or Vinyl)...
  12. chris8519

external USB soundcard options?

Check into the m2tech hiface usb. It's from an Italian audiophile company and costs around $150 (IIRC). The specs are VERY impressive, and can flow bit-perfect data to your receiver at ALL the hi-fi bit rates. It's simply a usb plug with a way to flow to COAX; simple, but very effective. I...
  13. chris8519

Reaching over to pickup the stylus... for HiRes Digital!?

Okay, so I recently got around to burning many of my HDTracks albums to DVD-Audio, and have been listening for hours now (mostly the new Rolling Stones albums). At the end of albums, I find myself instinctively getting up pickup the needle off the 'record' I was listening to. It's happened...
  14. chris8519

Is my receiver better than outboard phono stage?

andrew -- I have been making vinyl rips for over 7 years now, and here is what I have learned over time: 1. My ~$500 yamaha integrated amp w/ phono pre amp did NOT sound as good as my Musical Fidelity VLPS. I bought the dedicated preamp, went right into the soundcard, and have never looked...
  15. chris8519

Hot Records

Part of the reason I moved to Seattle (and chose the covered-entryway apt I have) was to avoid those terrible SoCal summers! Argh how I hated getting a shipment on my frontdoor... facing south...in the summer! So many records completely ruined. I LOVE that the summers here in the PacNW are...
  16. chris8519

Why can't records last a little longer?

Felix- this is exactly why I never - EVER - buy 7" 45rpms. My SL1200 is of course fully manual, and I can't stand having to get up and change the record after only 3 minutes! LPs are acceptable enough; 25 minutes is enough time to really put the feet up and relax. I also like that the album...
  17. chris8519

LPs to outlast CDs!

Dude! I am a 20-30 year old 'hipster' (in that I do most of the things supposed 'hipsters' do, including buying vinyl). It's true some kids buy vinyl for the hepness... or the nostalgia. I know quite a few. But did you read my comment!? I am VERY dedicated to the best sound possible AND the...
  18. chris8519

LPs to outlast CDs!

As my harddrive(s) fill up with more and more music, I am beginning to appreciate CDs even more than ever. I can make an endless playlist on my computer; copy the songs to an iPod and listen on the go; share the music instantly with my friends; or download a new album in 40 seconds. These are...
  19. chris8519

Carts for worn records

I too own both these carts, and was surprised by the total change in vinyl noise on the same record (See some of my previous, paranoid posts). The AT440mla will generally pick up more surface noise on a dirty record. It might even pick up back-fill sound (the zipper/scratcy noise occasionally...
  20. chris8519

Listening to Vinyl... in 5.1 - Thoughts? SACRILEGE!?

Cool, thanks for all your input! As I was listening, I was wondering if I am alone in listening in this way. I know many purists prefer the 'pure direct' signal (and hey, so do I when doing critical listening), but I just love the immersive 'quad' sound!
  21. chris8519

Listening to Vinyl... in 5.1 - Thoughts? SACRILEGE!?

Hello all, I have recently finalized my sound system placement, and I am totally happy with the sound quality! I have a lot of digital music, and listen to it mostly from the old HTPC, but my true passion is (of course) vinyl. But I have been doing something with my receiver that some people...
  22. chris8519

Possibly True What Some AudioPhools Say

-deleted
  23. chris8519

Audio Technica At-440mla- amazon deal

ahhhh yeah. I bought the same cart for the same price last year. Best deal out there, for sure. BUY IT NOW and never look back!!
  24. chris8519

scratchy scratchy sound from new AT 440 MLA

I own this exact TT/Cart combo, and I too was at first surprised by how different the needle played. Some records that I thought were 'clean' sounded awful-- I am sure it's because the Microline stylus sits lower in the groove, and picks up residue, dust, even the 'bottom' of the groove, where...
  25. chris8519

Piano-shaped TT with a violin bow arm

man, all these TT that I think are wild and cool (in an ironic way) are totally panned by my girlfriend when she sees them! ...and somehow she thinks the SL1200 looks okay!? Compared to a PIANO TURNTABLE with some class? ;)
Back
Top Bottom