Search results

1. atcgreg

What vintage gear are you playing?

my "gear" is: CD deck SCD777ES (Champagne) Amp TA-N80ES (champagne) Preamp TA-E80ES (Champagne) Speaker DIY DTQWT MK II All of the SONY stuff was reconditioned to specifications and upgraded to high grade parts like CAPS/ resistors / wiring etc. It does make a difference when 20plus year old...
  2. atcgreg

Sony TA-N80ES recap and mod adventure

Ta n80es champagne total makeover Hi I just finished and did a whole makeover of the SONY TA-N80ES MKIII.:thmbsp: When first powered up in "stock version" it sounded dull and not Hi end at all the bass was muddy and booming. Treble was very dull.:thumbsdn: The first owner said that the...
  3. atcgreg

SONY CDP X777ES hot PSU

Hi owners of CDP X777ES Does your cd player power supply get hot I just bought on Ebay long hunted CDP X777ES (black) in perfect working order. I was just looking it over to check what's inside and after playing about 5 minutes I noticed that the voltage regs and accompanying elkos get hot...
  4. atcgreg

Help needed in installing Low Jitter Clock

Clock connections Hi John yes i had a reply to my mail box . I will share it with you I AM USING A ELSO KWAK clock design. it has an inverted output so I will try that connecting the non inverted ouput of the clock pin 7 of LT1016 to pin 26 and inverted pin 8 to pin 27. There is...
  5. atcgreg

clock connections hi Thanks for the reply and as I thought that it would not be easy with this one. I have the ELSO Kwak clock but it only has one output pin and ground. thinking out loud: could it work if i just remove the XO and connect the clock to the small coupling transformer...
  6. atcgreg

Hi need anybody's wisdom and help in installing a low jitter clock into my SONY CDP101 Cd player. I have attached a scan of the schematic where it shows the connections but I am confused with it a bit. Can some one tell what to remove from the 'old" clock and where to connect the new one...
  7. atcgreg

Magic Dac 2 hum need help

DAC hum/buzz??? If you mean the connecting cable from DAC to amplifier the answer is no becaused when I use that cable to connect an other source it is OK. Same goes for the cable between the CD transport and the dac it's ok. the same hum/buzz happens when using optical feed from CD to...
  8. atcgreg

DAC hum/buzz??? Thanks for the reply but i tried different cables plugged / unplugged and still the samething happens:scratch2: The hum /buzz generates at the output sockets and like i said even when the power is off:no: but since you mentioned that i just thought it could the sockets them...
  9. atcgreg

Hi everyone Need your wisdom and help in maybe a simple matter but here what is the problem. I just got the Cambridge MAGICDAC 2 (on EBay) when the power is on there is a lot of hum / noise at the outputs. At first i thought it might be a loose ground connection or something like that but no...
  10. atcgreg

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

HI The DC offset problem is not limited to amplifier's only. It is common where ever a differential output is used!!! Meaning if you have an preamp and it's buffer/output stage is using opamp let's say 5532 (cheap and popular) when measured it could show 35mV. That's a lot bearing in mind that a...
  11. atcgreg

SONY CDP101 Modification

A true statement but it takes a lot of trail and error way to judge which one is the best.:thumbsdn::thmbsp: I would have tried the BURSON discrete opamp knowing how good they are but there is no room for it.:scratch2: So second best is LME49720. I have tried BURR BROWN chips OPA627, OPA2134 etc...
  12. atcgreg

SONY CDP101 Modification

Futher mods of SONY CDP101 As I mentioned that the OPAMP change makes a great difference but changing the master clock to a reference low jitter one truly gives a kick in the resolution of the bits in this machine.The sound is more coherent saying it in simple words you get a sound stage that...
  13. atcgreg

CD-ROM as a transport for Hi-end player

thanks for the info OK I know I did not re-invent the wheel here I just wanted to state that I just discovered a way to do DIY good sounding system and cheap. As for the guy that makes money out of it well fine with me but it's not my style meaning i do not like the looks of a cd rom...
  14. atcgreg

CD-ROM as a transport for Hi-end player

I would like to share my experience with a CD ROM as a transport for a DIY cd player. First I did some research if there is any particular cd rom drive that would suit the project. It is hard to get specific data about the drives beside the speeds it can read a CD so I tried a few some old 1999...
  15. atcgreg

14bits sound better than 16bits ???

:scratch2:Hi Anyone intrested in the non oversampling mod in Philips CD104 / ReVox B225/B226 and all cd player's that used TDA1540 dac chip probably have seen how to do it or done it, but if not I can confirm that it is worth the time. After the digital mod I also modified the analogue buffer...
  16. atcgreg

Sony DAC CX20017

Hi does anyone by chance have a data sheet on CX20017 made by SONY???. and CX7934. Need to know what pin is for what. Thanks Greg
  17. atcgreg

SONY CDP101 Modification

Just to make it clear if anyone wants to do the mods on CDP101. The OPA627 is a single opamp so you need two of them to replace one LF353H. there are many smd OPA627 on a special adapter board on Ebay. It works fine and further improves the sound. Ol'skul rulz Greg
  18. atcgreg

SONY CDP101 Modification

Yes I totaly agree and may I add that a non-oversampling dac that CDP101 has a big impact on the sound. The next step that i did was replacing the LF353H opamps in the line analog stage with OPA627 which are faster better quality. Just need to remeber to set the offset votage to 0 volts to get...
  19. atcgreg

SONY CDP101 Modification

Hi For those that still have the CDP101 and love it. I would like to share my experience with modifying my 1984 CDP101 CD player. First of all I did not encounter any problems with the tray or servo mechanism of the player mainly because it was already with the "new" IC BX2101 that replaced...
  20. atcgreg

sony CDP 101

Hi guys Does anyone remember how to make a digital output from the first CD player. I don't have the schematics yet I think i saw a thread about it on this forum? It's to get the digi after the DAC to use the CDP 101 as a transport. any help appriciated. regards Greg:thmbsp:
Back
Top Bottom