Search results

1. WntrMute2

Rigol Oscilloscope Help

I have a seemingly stupid question regarding my Rigol-DS1054Z scope. I cannot seem to figure out how to turn off the parameter measurements in the lower portion of the screen. The ones that say "period", "VPP" "Duty", etc. Pushing and holding the menu buttons just results in a message on the...
  2. WntrMute2

Basic Power Transformer Question

I have a pair of Edcor transformers that were mechanically noisy. I am wanting to test some different methods of quieting them down while on the bench. The unloaded voltage is 990V (0.2mA) and my load is a maximum of 106mA. Is there an appropriate way to test this PT under a reasonable load...
  3. WntrMute2

VPI Classic III Help

I'm trying to help a friend with his VPI Classic. It has some motor hum that is being transmitted through the plinth and into the platter. I lubed the main bearing as well as the motor bushing and set the end-plat with the little brass collar under the pulley. The motor itself sounds almost...
  4. WntrMute2

Source for Cathode Current Source

Any source for CCS boards/kits? I've used K&K ones in the past but I'm having a hard time reaching him and he is not responsive on his forum board. I'm planning on using them on 5687 tubes. Not skilled enough to create my own. TIA
  5. WntrMute2

Very Odd Switch Behavior

I want to use these glassworks two position power switches. https://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/acswitch.html It has an OFF - AC-1 -AC2. What is odd is that the switch seems to check out fine with an ohmmeter - Picture 1 but when 120V line voltage applied with the switch in the same position...
  6. WntrMute2

Lookin for a Pre-heat switch Circuit

Somewhere I recall seeing a double switch set-up that allowed for pre-heating tubes. The interesting part was that no matter which of the two switches was thrown first, the heaters would pre-heat first. I am planning an amp that will use a pair of 866A tubes that need to be heated first. I'd...
  7. WntrMute2

Transformer Orientation Testing

I'd like to test the orientation of my transformers and chokes for interaction between each other. The recommendation from the transformer manufactures and others were to energize the power transformer and use a pair of headphones to determine the orientation that minimizes noise. I understand...
  8. WntrMute2

What am I Doing Wrong?

and how do I fix it? Trying to determine whether this pre-amp I built is working properly. I cannot seem to get a trace on the O'Scope that seems meaningful. I can get a great trace running the Signal Generator directly into the scope but with the same settings, the pictures show what is...
  9. WntrMute2

Ribbon Cable Help

Hey folks. I buggered up the end of this 16 conductor ribbon cable so I'd like to repair or replace but cant seem to source the parts. I've tried searching for the numbers printed on the cable with no success. If I could get the connector apart I could probably reuse the parts but I can't see...
  10. WntrMute2

Where to Source Bracket

Hello once again folks. I am looking for brackets like these. I don't need all the other parts otherwise I'd just buy them from P.C. I want to be able to adjust the height of the two pots and signal selector. TIA.
  11. WntrMute2

Help setting Oscilloscope

I need help setting an oscilloscope as I am pretty unfamiliar with it. I have gone through much of the tutorials but cannot seem to get a waveform on the screen. I just get a flat line at all the settings. I do have the probe setting to 1X. Attached are pics of the frequency generator, probe...
  12. WntrMute2

How to Mount a LED Screed

I'm planning a preamp utilizing a pair of these controllers (remote function as well as the knobs). I'm trying to figure out how to create the front panel. Either the panel with the inset screen or better, the arrangement of holes for the individual lights to shine through. Front Panel Express...
  13. WntrMute2

How to do Balance Control

I'm trying to figure out a remote control volume control that will allow balance control. I was looking at the Khozmo stepped attenuator but feel like I'd lose the quality if gain pots were slapped alongside. I thought about using two mono units but with remote that runs about $600.00! The...
  14. WntrMute2

Choke Question

I am a novice DIY tube guy and have what is probably a quick basic question. I am considering building a 76/6SN7 preamp that calls for two 12 henry 150 Ma chokes in the power supply. Twelve henry is an odd value it seems as the usual sources do not have such an animal. What would be the...
  15. WntrMute2

Nine Pin Sockets Sought

Silly question here. I'm looking for top quality shielded 9 pin sockets for a point to point phono-stage. I have looked at the offerings from the likes of AES and the tube store but the array of choices is bewildering as well as one really can't determine the quality. Any suggestions as what...
  16. WntrMute2

Connectors for B+

I am planning out my build of a phono-stage using D3a and 5687 tubes. The PT will be a Hammond 363CX with 360V output. I'm planning on a two chassis design but am having trouble finding connectors that will handle the voltage. Power-Cons are good for 250V and 20A. Chinch Jones connectors are...
  17. WntrMute2

Help With Resistor Choice for Stereo/Mono Switch

There is a place for two resistors. Suggestions for resistor values (or how to calculate)? This is for a MC phono-stage. Either HypnoToad's or Emerald from RJM Additionally, I'd like to know your suggestions as to resistor type. Is one type preferred over another? Thanks in advance. Dave
  18. WntrMute2

External Crossover to HF Driver?

I'm trying a new set of horns on my speakers with Altec 806A CDs. I am wondering if there is a recommendation as to wire gauge and whether they should be twisted or run parallel? The length will be about 4 feet long. If twisted, should that be a "lazy" twist or tightly as in heater supply...
  19. WntrMute2

Radiotron SE 2A3 Input 6C6 Question

I have built this amp with the changes shown in Red. It sounds very good driven with a Cary 9SLP-98 into a pair of Heathkit AS-21. I do have a couple of questions hopefully someone here can answer. 1) At the input RCA jack i have substituted a 220K ohm resistor for the 100K ohm pot to form a...
  20. WntrMute2

300B Protection?

Well, protection is the wrong term but it was the best I could do on short notice. The amp is a 300B version of the Radiotron SE 2A3 in mono-block form. I built this over the winter and began running it in March, first with some EH 300Bs and then the SE mesh-plates. One of my Sophia mesh...
  21. WntrMute2

Altec Attenuation Circuit Help

I am trying to add the 30923 attenuation circuit into my cloned N-800-F crossover. The area circled in red is replaced by a 16ohm L-pad. I am need to figure out where to splice the 30923 circuit into the crossover. Any assistance would be appreciated! I also would probably use the L-pad...
  22. WntrMute2

Thorens TD-124 Plinth Plans

Im looking to have a plinth done out of a 3 inch granite surface plate. Anyone have CAD plans or detailed drawings? I found one set I thought but they didn't seem to materialize. The water-jet cutter needs these to perform their magic Any other thoughts? I am trying to reach Jim here at AK...
  23. WntrMute2

Removing "Mortite"

I scored a Thorens TD 124 from a friend not long ago and am planning on a full restore. However, the friend's father packed the thing with what I believe is Mortite. It is packed into all the little nooks and crannies. Thoughts on removing this stuff? I was planing on bead blasting or...
  24. WntrMute2

Potentiometer Question

I am planning on replacing a resistor of 220K ohms with a potentiometer to allow some adjustment in the input of a 6C6 tube. I've had recommendations that range from 47K to 1M. What I can't seem to find is the RANGE of a particular pot. For instance...
  25. WntrMute2

Pilot Light Ideas

I am finishing up my 300b monoblocks and am looking for a pilot light. I moved the power switch from the front to the side to avoid running ac power from the back to the switch in the front and back to the PT. Now I am left with a 1/2 inch hole in the front. I'd like to find a pilot light...
Back
Top Bottom