Search results

1. R

basement space panorama shot

Captured using the 360 app on a ipod touch, it's kind of glitchy but you get the idea. This is actually a probably 14 x 18 ft room but the panorama makes it look huge.
  2. R

driving a vectorscope

Good point, that way it's passive and much simpler. Since I'm not really concerned about introducing a little (or even more than a litte) distortion into the signal going to the vectorscope, I might even try to find something lower- rent than OTs. Also, seems a shame to use up a decent pair of...
  3. R

driving a vectorscope

So, I got a cheap vintage vectorscope on fleabay to fill the need for something to dance and jiggle along while tunes are playing, but it turns out since vectorsopes are purpose built to look at voltages from the grids of color CRT televisions, they get full deflection on the display at ~60...
  4. R

Connecting an Amp to Another Amp

If I were in this situation I would start looking for a decent receiver and pair of speakers on CL to get started with my first "real" stereo. IMHO, a $40 vintage CL receiver (something decent, Japanese and > 20 wpc) will probably be just as good or better for 2 channel use than the Pioneer...
  5. R

We are the dying breed ...

It's a small market, but there will always be a group of audio enthusiast. For the general public, I think the fad has gone the way of TV's, high def, and gaming. These things didn't really exist in the heyday of hi-hi when a lot of folks were building tube amps etc and everyone had a...
  6. R

Newbie needs a new tube amp....

Ya, I doubt you need 200watts. Hard to beat an st70 or st120 for the money. You should be able to get a new 120 assembled for under $1500 or close to it.
  7. R

finally got an st70

The preamp I picked up helped with the low signal issue from the ipod, I'm just running from the headphone jack to the CD input of the pre, then into the ST-70. It will get silly loud now if needed and runs like I expected it to. Without the pre it didn't seem to really have any more clean...
  8. R

VERY unusual console found

It's a cool looking console but I can understand the desire to gut it and put it in a more usable case or cabinet. However, the wood is in pretty good shape and it's not really an ugly design like some some of the later American units. If i had it, I would see about getting some decent...
  9. R

finally got an st70

By the way, it sounds great, dead quiet with no hum, fiz or pops etc. However, driving it with an ipod doesn't seem to bring it up to full output, it's actually not that loud with the ipod on full volume. I just picked up a rotel rc-870 preamp to pair it with, I'm assuming that should help...
  10. R

finally got an st70

Indeed, the EL34s are a matched set of Siemens too with vintage american 7199's so not too bad.
  11. R

Anyone into old radios?

Old radios are cool. I have 3 nice ones and a junky telefunken chassis. I'm a sucker for magic eye tubes.
  12. R

EricF's Low-Budget Audio Rig

The paneling is fine. We bought a house last year because it had a pine paneled man cave room, not despite it. We turned it into a 50s 60s styled retro tribute room, complete with blaupunkt Verona radio. My wife at least pretends to think it's cool.
  13. R

finally got an st70

I would think St Louis would be better than KC, it's a somewhat older, bigger and more affluent town but I guess you never know. I don't really have much time either to do a lot of bargain hunting, I have an enjoyable but fairly demanding day job so on the weekends I like to play. Plus, it...
  14. R

finally got an st70

I'm happy with what I paid. I've watched these on ebay for a couple years and have yet to see one that's not in really rough shape go for less than around $450. If someone has a reliable source for dirt cheap amps that are solid but just need recapped and cleaned up, do speak up! Here...
  15. R

finally got an st70

Glad to hear people think it looks like a good one. I don't think I'll do anything to it, at least for a while. Maybe try one of the different driver boards/tube setups at some point, but I want to give it a good listen first and get used to how it sounds.
  16. R

finally got an st70

Just had to tell someone - I've been on the fence about it for a while (like 3 years), bid on a few el84 based magnavox's and couldn't get one for a good price, and now finally decided to just get the real deal and be done with it. I have an ecl86 based pioneer receiver currently, I like...
  17. R

sudden volume drop

Contacted Orange, since the amp was less than a year old they're sending me a brand new one :)
  18. R

sudden volume drop

Good point, should probably start with the simple things first. Let's see what some deoxit can do for it.
  19. R

sudden volume drop

I have a tiny terror guitar head that's been dropping in volume abruptly about 20 minutes after turning it on. It has 15W and 7W modes, I usually play in 7W mode and switching to 15W mode for a second then back to 7W will bring the volume back to normal for a variable amount of time but it...
  20. R

What Features To Look For In An Oscilloscope?

Here's another vote for the rigol. I got one a few months ago and love it. I certainly understand liking analog gear but it's important that your test equipment be good if you want to do any real work and the features offered by a digital scope make electronics work a lot easier. The rigol will...
  21. R

transformer winding for switching power supply

OK, I found a schematic for a flyback oscillator and I think I understand this schematic now - there are 2 center tapped windings on the primary side, one is the feedback winding and the other is the actual primary winding. They're just drawn as the same size for some reason which confused me.
  22. R

transformer winding for switching power supply

Hi, I'm starting to build the toy oscilloscope described here: http://g4oep.atspace.com/toycro/toycro.htm Everything makes pretty good sense and I have an E core ordered from surplus sales of Nebraska and some winding wire from Antique Electronic Supply but I have a couple of questions...
  23. R

You guys have got to see this!

That's pretty funny. For all that effort he could have nearly built a new amp. I have a '65 deluxe reverb reissue and I know some folks say the transformer and speaker etc. could all stand to be "upgraded". But in my opinion it sounds excellent just how it is, so why bother? The time...
  24. R

510/5 500V capacitor?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant was that it's labeled as 510 on the schematic and it's drawn such that according to the schematic legend it's supposed to be <5% tolorance with a >400V rating. On the capacitor itself it says "510/5 500V ="
  25. R

510/5 500V capacitor?

The model number is 20103. I have the schematic and this capacitor is marked as 510 (so I'm assuming it's the standard 3 number code). Some other capacitors are labeled using the 2 number code and larger value caps say explicitly 50uF, 0.1uF etc... It looks like it's part of the local...
Back
Top Bottom