Search results

1. Cloth Ears

Modded NHT X2 crossover

A shame that this is a bit old, as I picked up a NHT X2 crossover recently. The crossover bit works, but for some reason, the bass output is really weird - it's basically farting...a lot. Up to about 250 Hz, in both low-pass and hi-pass. I'm guessing there's one or more capacitors that have...
  2. Cloth Ears

Sansui database - Update

214120182,QA-6000,n/a. Because I've never heard of one before, I thought I'd post. It's on Ebay in Australia. Knobs and layout very similar to the definition series (from the pictures provided). Unfortunately I won't be buying it - I hope someone who loves it will...
  3. Cloth Ears

Will The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp suck???

I still do like him. But some of his roles have called for him to play it slightly weirder than others - which are the ones I'm not particularly keen on: Edward Scissorhands, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows etc. His Jack Sparrow in...
  4. Cloth Ears

AU-X1 on the bench.... the good, the bad and the ugly

Hi Skip, I can't see the photos here at work, but my AU-X1 has given up the ghost again after a few years service. We fixed it up last time after the transistors all blew on one channel. And that was back in 2007. But it's done it again and the board which had the resistors on would have...
  5. Cloth Ears

Sansui database - Update

246060015, BA-5000, Cloth Ears (not mine) Saw this on local ebay, a 220v unit, so it might work locally. Asking $3K in Aussie dollars, so I'm not sure Mrs Cloth Ears will allow it - even though the AU-X1 has let out the magic smoke again after more than 5 years. Sigh!!!
  6. Cloth Ears

Please! Please! Can I win the lottery?

Hmmm. methinks the title has garnered more interest than the intent of the post. Oh well. They sounded pretty good to me...:music:
  7. Cloth Ears

I heard them before I saw the website, and I can say that they were probably the best sound at the show. Considering the rooms were standard hotel rooms (beds removed, etc), you can imagine that was quite a feat. I guess that if I win the lottery I can buy another house for Mrs CE - so she...
  8. Cloth Ears

Favorite movie moment

Ooh! Ooh! There's a few, isn't there? From Once Upon a Time in the West (Charles Bronson's man with no name character shows the only bit of emotion in the movie): Jill - And you... You saved his life! "Harmonica" - I didn't let them kill him, and that's not the same thing. Then, from...
  9. Cloth Ears

Just once, please! I heard these at our local audio show (first one for nearly 20 years - that was much good, that is). I want one - OK, two! I really hope they do well. Great sound in a really awful hotel room - judging by some of the other rooms, that is! This is the website - less...
  10. Cloth Ears

Tube amps vs solid state

Neither. Both. Well made gear of either flavour can be quieter, cleaner or more accurate. Single ended circuits in both SS and tube varieties often have high 'measured' distortion - but actually end up sounding better to our ears than cleaner 'undistorted' sound from either variety of push-pull...
  11. Cloth Ears

Greatest Hits Albums...Do We Give Them Enough Credit??

Pink Floyd Compilations generally had something to offer the collector as they contained different versions of tracks and some had non-album singles. Relics and Masters of Rock both fall in this category. 1967: The First Three Singles contains (well, I guess it's obvious), A Collection of Great...
  12. Cloth Ears

Analogue audio

Gents, Back in the day... A while back, even after the advent of 'perfect sound forever' there were a number of promising, high-quality, analog formats in embryo. There was the FM encoded soundtracks on laser discs. There were a few encoding methods for VHS and (I believe) Beta. There were...
  13. Cloth Ears

74SM500 - has anyone met one?

I can't seem to locate anywhere (in da net) that has Marantz info after 1980.
  14. Cloth Ears

74SM500 - has anyone met one?

Made in 1993. 160w/ch. That's it - not enough to put in 2 cents for. There's just not enough info on Marantz out there. Does any of you kind gentlemen or ladies know anything more about this baby before I let it slip through my fingers?
  15. Cloth Ears

Pioneer SX-990?

Single-ended push pull design. No wonder the sound is so good. If my darling SWMBO had not put a stop to my buying, then I'd be picking up one which is on the 'Bay locally as we type...
  16. Cloth Ears

Sansui AU-X1

Hi Warren, Had a little melt-down in the AU-X1. My tech said: "The fault went through it like the proverbial packet of salts. I blame the massive melt down on the lack of fuses in the HT rails to the power stage. If you want to be really picky, fuses add a lttle impedance in series with the...
  17. Cloth Ears

$749.00 for a used copy of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd?

Arkay, I'll take issue with you on just one point - innovative. Just because someone can do something different doesn't mean that a lot of people then start to try to emulate them, or decide to buy their work. For each of the artists you mentioned, there were probably who were as talented or...
  18. Cloth Ears

Does This Look Fishy to You?

The only one that appears duplicated it the ubiquitous "Good buyer, prompt payment, valued customer, highly recommended." which is used by many eBay 'Power' sellers as a standard. At least 3 sellers use this in his list of auctions, but then I've had a few use something akin to...
  19. Cloth Ears

Sansui database - Update

507070201,B-1000,Cloth Ears 507060071,C-1000,Cloth Ears Not mine, but currently on auction down under.
  20. Cloth Ears

Sansui AU-X11

When I first got it (for $5 Australian) it wasn't working. Powering on simply got the red light flashing and no action. I took it to Bob (mentioned above) 3 years ago (also mentioned above) and he applied Warren's (dr*audio) mods to it. That, and replacing all the transistors (one lot were...
  21. Cloth Ears

Sansui AU-X11

Ladies and Gents, I spotted the auction for a Sansui AU-X11 today. Now, I have no affiliation with the auction, but: I have purchased an amplifer from the seller about 4 years ago Bob (mentioned in the listing as 'trusty tech') is a friend of mine who fixed up my own AU-X1 when I got it 3...
  22. Cloth Ears

Flying Purple ...?

Firstly, not my auction, or any affiliation! 'Purple' Marantz PM-300! Wouldn't $350 (Australian) be a bit steep for one of these, even if it's never been turned on? I know there's a market for vintage amplifiers (I have some myself), but I thought they were mostly for playing, not looking at...
  23. Cloth Ears

Postal Money Orders OK?

I dunno how USPS MO's work, but the Aussie ones are bought by cash (or the electronic equivalent. So, once you have that bit of paper, you've already paid and the government (yup) guarantees that it's worth what it says. As someone else mentioned, if you're sending it by mail, it's best to have...
  24. Cloth Ears

Marantz 3200 preamp on e***

Normally, I'd be deeply suspicious of anyone only taking Postal orders, but this buyer does seem to have sold some pretty expensive gear with good feedback. Also, has been using the same id for 8+ years (and thus negative feedback is still there for all to see). A toss-up as to whether you bid...
  25. Cloth Ears

Well at least there's no reserve!

Hmmm. In Aus we are required to have Paypal as an option, but it's not the only option available for payment. It does provide some comebacks that aren't available if you send a cheque or do a direct deposit. Are you saying that Paypal is the only payment option now? I've seen this BIN and the...
Back
Top Bottom