Search results

1. leesonic

Average White Band to retire in 2024? Say it isn't so.

I received an email from The Birchmere like I do every month. However, what caught my eye was "AVERAGE WHITE BAND A Funk Finale – Farewell Tour 2024". Are they really retiring? Say it isn't so. Other sources and searches seem to confirm this. I know the Birchmere shows are sold out, I saw them...
  2. leesonic

Repainting a Sansui SR-838 turntable to look original with the gloss "piano black" finish they originally came with?

If you can't refinish it yourself, I would suggest stripping it back to a bare plinth, removing the arm, motor, controls etc. and then having an auto body place paint it for you. It may end up costing more than it's actually worth though.
  3. leesonic

22 years ago today, Remy Shand "The Way I Feel" released in the US

22 years ago today, the album "The Way I Feel" by the Canadian soul musician Remy Shand was released in the United States. It was released a year earlier in the UK, Europe and his own Canada. This one album wonder was sadly missed by most people. With some of today's artistes having scores of...
  4. leesonic

Design Acoustics PS-10 and PS-10A restoration

Thank you! The older crossover had a switch for "flat" and "-3db", the resistors are part of that. The newer crossover uses the L-pad. Still haven't had a chance to hook these up and listen to them yet. My daughters PS5 is on top of one stack of speakers, and my BluRay player and Region 2 DVD...
  5. leesonic

As previously mentioned, the 10 (not 10A) versions have the crossover hot melt glued to the terminal plate. 10/10 for neatness, -20 for actually being able to recap them with anything other than caps that exactly match the originals. The solution? Use some 10A crossovers you have left over...
  6. leesonic

Sensitivity and "hard to drive" speakers

A lot of crap is talked about this. Speakers that are hard to drive is usually because of their impedance curve, it has low dips that might cause difficulty for an amplifier. This is why a smaller amplifier that has good peak current capability and tolerates low impedance loads will sound better...
  7. leesonic

Shopping around for auto insurance quotes digs up old skeletons in the closet

Don't know about other states, but here in NJ, it's more like a cash machine than a judicial system. I told this story to a friend, and he recounted a similar story. He shows up in court, Cop meets him outside and offers a fine instead of fine and points. Friend agrees, but still has to go into...
  8. leesonic

Shopping around for auto insurance quotes digs up old skeletons in the closet

I have been shopping around for auto insurance quotes, since my bill seems to be getting way out of control. I have made a couple of calls on my drive to work, and of course they ask you a whole bunch of questions. One of has been "do you have any violations within the last five years?" which I...
  9. leesonic

eBay Sellers Offering Re-capped/Refurb'd Units - How to Know if Trustworthy?

I see people on eBay offering "recap kits" for the amplifier I do a lot of work on, the NAD 3020. Can't discuss price here, because this isn't a dollars and sense thread. I also see people offer a "repair and recap" service. What I can say is, both of these prices are over half what I would...
  10. leesonic

Anyone had new speaker boxes built

Wow! Are you building new cabinets to order? I need some for a pair of Wharfedale E30s.
  11. leesonic

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Wait, so one of them has a port now?
  12. leesonic

Craigslist and Facebook very rarely have any empty cabinets. Or there will be a pair for sale for $300 with car subwoofers. You take out the drivers, the cabinets alone are just worthless at that point.
  13. leesonic

Funny, strange, bizarre AI generated images.

Where are you generating these images from? Like, where are you typing "image of a member of audiokarma"?
  14. leesonic

Getting back to my earlier comments on the cabinets. It looks like someone tried installing the woofers in two different positions on this pair. Other places, the screw has been placed so close to the edge, it has broken through the particleboard. Some wood glue and a sliver of a popsicle stick...
  15. leesonic

I bought two pairs of Design Acoustics PS-10 speakers last year, and thought I should do a write-up of the work I've been doing on them. They are actually a pair of PS-10s and a pair of PS-10A. The only differences externally are the black versus brown grills, and the 10A models have an L-pad...
  16. leesonic

Refurbishing my Advent Maestros

Rumor has it, some headliner foam from an auto upholstery shop will work, assuming it's black. I just left the foam off mine, that was a long while ago, I don't have them anymore. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/advent-maestro-restoration.509716/
  17. leesonic

And I can't find a single pair of Advent cabinets to house the FOUR pairs of Advent woofers I have sitting at home right now.
  18. leesonic

Acoustic Research AR94S restoration

Before refoaming the upper woofers, I masked off and painted the baskets black to match the lower ones. I was thinking about running them without grill socks, and instead making a grill to cover the drivers (or not). I would have to do something with the cabinets though, either paint them or...
  19. leesonic

The second one is much of the same. The tweeter dome got dented, the middle woofer got a bad refoam job, and the lower woofer wasn't touched at all.
  20. leesonic

Here is another pair of AR94S I picked up last year. I'm not sure what happened to these. It looks like someone added replacement tweeters, then refoamed the middle woofer, but when they got to the bottom woofer with the surround behind the cone, they threw in the towel. The quality of their...
  21. leesonic

Design Acoustics PS-10A woofer surround

Did you ever find the T/S parameters for these?
  22. leesonic

Wedding System In 100 year old Log building + long rambles about old gear

Buy as many pairs of DCM KX10 or KX12 speakers as you can. Series/parallel them to keep 8 ohms. Drive them with a NAD 2200/2600/2700 power amp (or combinations thereof), with a similar preamp, and whatever your source will be.
  23. leesonic

KEF Reference 101 monitor crossover re-capped

@dalewhoward Is it 330R, or is it 220R? There is a 220R shown in the schematic on page 1 of this thread. Also, the schematics for the protection circuit are never on any of the schematics I've seen. Probably because KEF chose to encapsulate the circuit in some funky red resin.
Back
Top Bottom