Search results

1. C

running two pair of 6 ohm speakers = 3 ohm?

I am very interested in the answer to incenine's last question. And also, if hooked up in series as opposed to A and B, do you lose volume (or anything else)? I believe my Yamaha RX-770 will handle four 8-ohm speakers hooked up to A and B, but I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages to...
  2. C

What does this power output rating mean?

I'm definitely going to skip the Sony. Thanks all! Unrelated question...how do I know if my Yamaha RX-770 can handle four 8-ohm speakers, hooked up to A and B? This is a 2-channel receiver, with the link to the specs in an earlier post. I paid 40 bucks for it so I don't need to know if it's...
  3. C

Thanks. I found the rating on my Yamaha RX-770: Minimum RMS Output Power per Channel: 8 ohm, 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.019% THD: 85 watts I was wrong when I said 90 watts. So this is the same rating that Sony lists at 135 watts, correct? Although it appears the Yamaha is listed with much less...
  4. C

I'm looking at an early 90's Sony amp Model TA-AV521. I'm wondering how the output compares to my Yamaha from the same era. Below is the power output specifications. Does this mean it's 135 wpc? I believe my Yamaha is 90 wpc. Thanks! From the Sony manual: With 8-ohm loads, both...
  5. C

Bass Blockers for Home System?

From the same manual: Low Pass— This control adjusts the frequency range over which the subwoofer operates. When using smaller main speakers, the upper range of the control will probably yield the best results. With larger speakers, the lower end of the control range will probably sound best...
  6. C

That's what I thought too, but someone at a another forum tested that setup and claimed their bookshelves sounded exactly the same no matter where they had the low pass filter knob. They moved it back and forth and the subwoofer sound changed, but the bookshelves stayed exactly the same...
  7. C

I bought my first sub a couple of months ago and like the added bass, but I misunderstood what the low pass filter was going to do. I knew it filtered the high end from the subwoofer, but I also thought I could filter some bass from my bookshelves. No can do. So I was wondering if it would...
  8. C

Help answer my subwoofer questions please...

I might get the Polk PSW10. A pretty good deal at $100 delivered. Not the best sub out there, but for what I need, it's probably good enough.
  9. C

Help answer my subwoofer questions please...

1. I'm looking for a recommendation on a sub in $100-$200 range. I've been looking at Polk, Dayton, Pinnacle, etc. Need something to compliment two Boston Acoustic CR-8 bookshelf speakers. Basically want to add a bit more bass to rock music but don't need anything overpowering. Room size is...
  10. C

My Boston CR8's got beat to hell during shipping

An update on my BA CR8's that Fedex lost and damaged... As expected, it was a difficult claim process but they ultimately paid. I originally paid $200 for the 4 speakers delivered and the seller refunded me $150. I'm not sure if he got anything out the deal. All 4 speakers seem to work as...
  11. C

THE SPEAKERS WERE BOXED JUST ABOUT AS WELL AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY BOX THEM. Double boxed with custom cut foam and the outer box was a special triple-ply cardboard. Very strong stuff. Fedex said at some point the information came off of the box and they had to open it to figure out what was...
  12. C

Fedex called and said that after being lost for a couple of weeks, they found my 2 pair of Boston Acoustics CR8's. The bad news is they've been beat down pretty good and I know for a fact they were boxed as good as you could possibly box speakers. Sounds like some pretty serious cabinet damage...
  13. C

How long can vintage speakers last?

wood grain vinyl is peeling Thanks for the responses. Unrelated question...what should I use to glue the fake vinyl wood back on my Boston A70's? On most of the corners the wood grain vinyl is peeling away. Thanks! I really pushed the A70's tonight and they performed extremely well and...
  14. C

The Boston A70's arrived and I hooked them up to my Yamaha RX-770 reciever at 85wpc. So far so good. I'll let them get acclimated to their environment over night and push them this weekend to see what they can do. I think they'll be perfect for my application...cranking rock-n-roll in my...
  15. C

I just bought a pair Boston Acoustics A70's. I haven't even tried them yet but they seem to be in decent shape. Besides foam surronds, what ultimately might fail on a speaker? What about the ferrofluid that cools the tweeters, can that ultimately be an issue? What else might be prone to...
  16. C

Getting spoiled by good deals.

cheap when looking for audio gear...good cheap when going to dinner with friends...very bad
  17. C

Driving 6 Ohms speakers....

Thanks for the great advice. One final question...does this indeed mean my Yamaha is rated for a 2 ohm load? Dynamic Power per Channel: (IHF) 8/6/4/2 ohms 130/150/185/220W If so, 3.4 ohms should not be a problem, but I will keep an eye on the amp to avoid overheating when playing loud.
  18. C

I did some searching at AudioKarma and found this equation to calculate the load using 2 sets of speakers: 1/ ( ( 1 / speaker A ohms) + ( 1 / speaker B ohms) ) If this is correct, my load would be 3.4 ohms. after looking at my link above, I'm still not sure if the Yamaha can handle this...
  19. C

How do we know what load an amp can handle? I'd like to stack 2 pairs of Boston Acoustics. One pair is 6 ohm and the other is 8 ohm (A70's & CR8's). Is it a bad idea to stack speakers with different loads?. I assume my amp can handle it. It's a Yamaha RX-770 --->...
  20. C

thoughts on in-wall speakers

I've been looking for inexpensive speaker options for my secondary system and I started looking at in-wall speakers. It seems like you can find the discontinued models dirt cheap. For example, I saw a pair of Boston Acoustics dsi280's for less than $90 delivered. These listed for $550/pair so...
  21. C

CSW Model Six or...

I'm looking to take my secondary sound system to the next level. I'm either going to get a new pair of Cambridge SoundWorks Model Six Bookshelfs or look for a used pair at the same price point (about $100). I'm looking for a bookshelf with decent bass. Here's some used ones I've considered...
  22. C

Opinion of my first subwoofer

Thanks all. Yes, the sub and speaks are hooked in parallel just like it shows in the subwoofer owners manual. I found some 133mfd bassblockers that seem like the correct ones. Once I install the bassblockers, do I keep it hooked up in parallel? Or do I go: RECEIVER ---> SUB --->...
  23. C

Very simple connection. I hooked 2 wires to the Left + and ran one to the bookshelf speaker and one to the sub. I did the same with Left -, Right +, and Right -. I'll check the polarity if that's safe to do.
  24. C

Would I get more bass if I hooked up the bookshelf speakers to A and the sub to B? Currently I have them both hooked to A. Thanks!
  25. C

Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly download the tone from the net and try that. I spent a lot of time on the mp3 player looking for songs with good bass. I moved it in the corner last night and played some Red Hot Chilli Peppers and I could actually feel the bass when I turned it up...
Back
Top Bottom