Search results

1. mashaffer

Convert Kegger's 6LU8 UL to PP

Has anyone taken Keggers 6LU8 SEUL design and built a PP version? Would it be as simple as adding a PI and a 10K PP OPT?
  2. mashaffer

A possible way to tame the Disco bump

Disclaimer, yes I do enjoy disco along with many other genres. I have been playing around in the Hornresp loudspeaker simulator and specifically with series capacitors on woofers. In normal sealed enclosures with a Qts significantly below 0.7 (i.e. you used a low Q woofer) You can get a...
  3. mashaffer

Why did they stop putting jacks facing up?

Why in the world did they switch from having the input and output jacks facing up and have them facing rearward? With the modern style you have to actually get behind the unit to see what you are doing where the old style allowed you to just look straight down. If there is concern for the cables...
  4. mashaffer

Bypassing Bax TC

Any thoughts on the best way to implement a bypass switch for Bax tone controls such as this? Criterion of minimal switching noise, gain equal to that of centered controls, preferably not bypassing the output cathode follower.
  5. mashaffer

Fred who?

I have been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of the gentleman who designed the interesting little PP amp using a triode/pentode tube as the phase inverter. His name was Fred and I think his last name started with "N".
  6. mashaffer

TCJ width control

Has anyone played around with the Tube Cad Journal's stereo width control? Looks like an interesting little ditty maybe for a garage or recroom preamp. http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2002/Missing_Sonic_Controls/page5.html
  7. mashaffer

Maggie horn sensitivity?

I don't think I have posted this here but please forgive if I am wrong. Does anyone know the approximate sensitivity of these big Magnavox console horn mid/tweeters?
  8. mashaffer

SMSL Quality?

I am looking for a small woofer amp for a built in biamp situation. I am looking for units like this that are simple (not a bunch of fancy stuff like BT, USB, etc) with 50W or so into 8 ohms but I am not familiar with all the brands out there and am not sure of the quality of these. Any other...
  9. mashaffer

Triode mode Maggies?

The Magnavox PP amps are quite popular for customizing/hot rodding so I wonder if anyone has tried a version with triode mode outputs.
  10. mashaffer

Classic Hi-Fi amps that use 12AX7 cathodyne?

To make a long story short, even though the 12AX7 is far from the ideal tube for a cathodyne PI I have a design project for which it would be extremely convenient to use one. With that in mind I know that there were some classic hi-fi design that did so but not sure which. Can someone suggest...
  11. mashaffer

Age test

OK, no cheating. Without using a search engine or other reference material, How many of you know who George Wright was and what instrument he was associated with? Just raise your cyber hands. Don't spill the beans.
  12. mashaffer

Tweeter SPL requirements

Generally speaking I consider the general SPL target for hi-fi listening to be about 100dB plus some headroom (should be more than adequate). Of course this is an over all level so that if we divide the spectrum up such as in a tri-amp situation the SPL required in each range will differ. There...
  13. mashaffer

Does EV no longer sell raw drivers?

Some earlier posts regarding classic EV drivers piqued my curiosity but I don't see them selling new drivers.
  14. mashaffer

quam 4" FR as mid?

Has anyone ever tried those inexpensive Quam 4" fullrange drivers as a wide band midrange (say 150-6K)? They seem to have decent build quality.
  15. mashaffer

Holy Rip VanWinkle Batman! CDP $$$

Man it has been a while. When I last bought a CDP I got my 110 CD changer on closeout for $70 but retail was just over $100. When looking at Bluetooth transcievers for my lubbable project I thought it might be nice to include a simple single play CDP as well. After all they must be commodities...
  16. mashaffer

Magnavox horns

Is anyone familiar with these old Magnavox console horn drivers? Any idea of the intended freq range? Is it safe to measure DCR with a multimeter?
  17. mashaffer

Good quality Bluetooth reciever

Any recommendations for reasonably priced, good quality bluetooth receivers either self contained or circuit boards?
  18. mashaffer

Secure biamp speaker connection suggestions

The project is a luggable stereo system with tube/SS biamp. I want a single cable to each speaker that will feed both signals and that is secure from accidental disconnect (trip proof essentially). What I envision is the old fashion connectors that screw on (threaded collar) with three or four...
  19. mashaffer

Adding BT to a tube amp project

Any suggestions on the best way to add Bluetooth to a tube amp project. Reliability and ease of implementation are important aspects.
  20. mashaffer

Looking forward to this.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/ford-v-ferrari-movie-trailer-christian-bale-matt-damon-take-us-back-to-60s-le-mans/
  21. mashaffer

playing with feedback amps

I have avoided messing with overall feedback due to lack of instrumentation. My last amp build was closely based on an existing design and used only local feedback in the form of UL operation and plate to plate feedback. If I were to try feedback around the OPT or around more than two stages I...
  22. mashaffer

Best floating paraphase?

What would you consider as the best floating paraphase design? I know they are out of fashion for good reasons but some are proported to sound quite nice so I am curious as to what might be considered the best example.
  23. mashaffer

Inexpensive options for chassis cage

Looking for ideas for inexpensive and/or home brew options for tube amp chassis cages. The first thing that came to mind is those metal mesh organizer bins for your desk that they sell in office supply stores. Might even get lucky and find a usable one in a thrift store. Have to figure out how...
  24. mashaffer

No room for Tonar...

My LAB-440 does not have the real estate to mount a Tonar. Is there a viable option that mounts to the tonearm? Right now I am inclined to just go with a separate hand held antistat brush but just thinking through all the options.
  25. mashaffer

Artists paint brush for stylus cleaning

Anything wrong with using a small artist's paint brush for stylus cleaning? Is there an appropriate home brew cleaning solution to use?
Back
Top Bottom