Search results

1. B

Problem with a Unison Research Simply Italy amp

Hi everyone! So, I have finally fixed this dang amp. In the end I decided to take it to an authorized Unison Research repair shop in NJ- Affiliated Electronics. As soon as I brought it in and showed him the resistor in question, he disappeared into the back room and brought out another circuit...
  2. B

Thanks Binary Mike! I decided to open her up today and take a closer look at everything again. The tube socket solders are now solid (apparently they were loose before, which I had taken care of the first time this happened). I called a very good friend- an amp tech/whiz, and talked about it...
  3. B

Okay, thanks everyone! I'll cut that resistor off of it's legs and solder in a bigger one- and bend it away from that plastic connector so it can get a bit more circulation! I'll remember to report back with the outcome. It will probably take a month or so...
  4. B

Thanks for the comments guys! s-petersen: The resistor is elevated, but you're right- it's tucked up against that plastic connector. However, you'd think that every Simply Italy would be having this problem is it was an air circulation problem, right? I can't find any problems with this amp...
  5. B

HI everyone! I hope that you may be able to solve a mystery for me. A few months ago while I was listening to my system, I noticed the distinct smell of burning plastic. After running all over the house, check outlets and power strips, my nose brought me to my Unison Research Simply Italy tube...
  6. B

Altec- damping INSIDE the horn?

Hi everyone! I have a quick question about horn damping. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of giant 1004 multi cell horns, but it appears (looking at the photos) that they guy sprayed bed liner into the horns as well as on the outside. I'm guessing that was a bad idea, but I have zero...
  7. B

Ortofon SMG 212 Headshell help!

Hey, does anybody have experience with the Ortofon SMG 212 tonearm? I just picked one up and I'm not quite sure what to do about the headshell situation. At some point I'm going to buy a mono SPU for it, so that's the surefire fix. Until then, though, something seems a bit weird. I've read...
  8. B

My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

I built a GREAT pair of cables from HomeDepot 14 gauge indoor-outdoor extension cord. If you google HomeDepot speaker cables, you should find a tutorial. Anyway, these beat anything up to about $1K. The first cable to beat them was my Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval cables, but those were...
  9. B

Garrard 301 and a VPI Classic...

I can't recommend what to do, but I have a story to tell that may create a thought :scratch2: I had an original VPI Aries with the upgraded platter and a SME V tonearm. I loved it! It was a pleasure to set up and sounded great. I even built isolation sand box, with the table sitting on one...
  10. B

Spendor SP1

I've been waiting for a pair of SP1's to pop up somewhere for about a year now. Every time they do, they range from $700 to as much as just under $1K. I finally saw a. Nice set (with the original stands) pop up on Audiogon for a beginning asking price of $775 plus shipping. He was in driving...
  11. B

Place main speakers on top of the subwoofers?

Hi everyone! I have a quick question about speaker placement, which is probably directed at the people who know how to use an oscilloscope or have a degree in the physics of sound. I've had to move some furniture around in my listening room, and now I have a bit of a space issue. First...
  12. B

Know the Impedance for an Aronov SA60 Tube Amp???

Thanks! I told my friend what you said, and when he has a minute, he's going to pull everything apart and check it out. I'll get back to you. -Phil
  13. B

Know the Impedance for an Aronov SA60 Tube Amp???

Hi, a friend of mine has an Aronov SA60 tube amp, and he needs to know the impedance. He bought it years ago, and he's tried everything he can think of to find the info. The closest he's gotten is contacting one of the original reviewers for the amp, who thought that it was 100k It seems that...
  14. B

Vanderteen Sub- Have You Built Your Own X-2 Crossover?

Hi again! Okay, so I'm almost ready to build my filters, but I have one more question. How in the heck does one find the right value caps? It seems like there's basically a few caps in the range that I need. I thought I'd try three values to see which I like best: 150K, since that...
  15. B

Can I use my SDS with my Thorens TD124?

Ahh. So that means that it won't work with a SDS, right?
  16. B

So that shouldn't be a problem if I plug it into a VPI SDS, right? Thanks for the post! -Phil
  17. B

Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes, I'm pretty sure it is AC synchronous. I plugged it in for a quick second, and it speed seemed to jump around so I shut it off really fast. I don't know, though. Maybe I was imagining that. I thought I'd post before I tried it again. I forgot that there is a cap...
  18. B

Just wondering if I can use my VPI SDS with my Thorens 124. Will that screw anything up? Thanks! -Phil
  19. B

Convert an SME 3009 to a 3012?

Thanks for posting that bsujeep! I'm kind of leaning towards the armwand from the other cat, since his is SME spec. Maybe I could just pickup the counter weight from the guy in Taiwan. First, though, I'd probably see if I could just use the stock 3009 pre-improved counter weight. Maybe that...
  20. B

Someone can probably give a more detailed answer, but in a nutshell it is this. Think about the difference in the radius of the arc that a longer arm draws. A longer arm draws a shallower (less curved) arc across the record surface, therefore it will have less tracking error distortion. I...
  21. B

Vanderteen Sub- Have You Built Your Own X-2 Crossover?

Man, thank you soo much for the information! You have just created the only comprehensive resource on this. Now all I have to do is figure out what settings I like. If you don't mind, I have one more question just to clarify the use of the calculator. You have to enter 80 into the frequency...
  22. B

No dice- eBay won't let you contact people that you haven't done business with. I got another recommendation from a guy on VinylEngine.com about a British maker. His eBay name is redbeardanalogue. Someone has used his arm before (and they liked it), and the eBay listing mentions that he based...
  23. B

I guess it's probably the same geometry as a 3009, but just a little longer. I asked him if he had a real 3012 to compare it to, or if he had a photo of his tube next to a real one. I just got another reply from him: "No any problem to upgrade sme 3009 to SME 3012SII, I wish could take a...
  24. B

Well, the guy got back to me about how he managed to copy the original arm wand. His answer is, and I quote, "Lot of money and do my best." I emailed him back and asked for a little more information, specifically if he actually owns a real 3012 to compare it to. If not, then I'll probably pass...
  25. B

Advice on packing/shipping a Thorens TD 124?

Wow, you have a LOT more patients than I do! I would have driven across country by now :-) The anvil case sounds definitely like the fool-proof way to go. I don't think it's going to cost that much to ship. Well, within reason, at least. I once had an Ampeg B-18 bass amp shipped to me from...
Back
Top Bottom