Search results

1. chrisjlaw

Pictures of your dog on your listening couch

He's just getting toward the end of the fourth part of Wagner's 'Ring'.
  2. chrisjlaw

She is not amused by that comment!!!
  3. chrisjlaw

Here's my boy pug, Lucky, chilling out after another hard day doing nothing...
  4. chrisjlaw

Those guys look like fun to have around!
  5. chrisjlaw

How loud on volume control of Macbook Pro

Check out the fora on "computer audiophile" - I am sure the guys there will be able to answer your questions as a lot of them use Macs.
  6. chrisjlaw

Having enjoyed all the pics of cats on audio gear I thought I would start a thread for all of us dog owners to show pics of our mutts sleeping (which is what they seem to do best) on our listening chairs/sofas. I'll start it off with a pic of my (now) 12-year old pug, Gigi:D
  7. chrisjlaw

My small desktop system

The Roths offer great bang for the buck. They are a little bass-light but that doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, it is probably doing them an injustice having them in this system as I am sure they could perform very well in my main rig. Dusty42701 asked about the little Indeed HiFi tube...
  8. chrisjlaw

My small desktop system

I thought I'd get round to sharing some pics of my PC desktop system. I listen mainly to FLAC files stored on a WD 500 Gb external drive connected to my desktop PC. These are fed to an external Creative Soundblaster which can either be connected to an Indeed HiFi headphone amp > Sony MDR-V6...
  9. chrisjlaw

List of Audio Gear Unique to One AK member.

After searching the AK forums, I think I may be the only AKer who uses an Italian-made Monrio Asty SS integrated amplifier in one of my systems.
  10. chrisjlaw

My CD player is also a DAC, now what?

Hi Wazz, You don't need expensive software to play high-res audio files from your XP laptop. There is plenty of good free stuff out there such as Foobar and JRiver jukebox to name just two. However, you will probably need a USB to S/PDIF converter to allow you to feed your USB out from the...
  11. chrisjlaw

List of Audio Gear Unique to One AK member.

I have a pair of Mariah Acoustics "Thimbles". Don't know if any other AKer owns a pair of these. Great sounding and great build quailty.
  12. chrisjlaw

New Member @ Columbus, OH

Welcome to AK! My wife is from Columbus and I can remember many great nights listening to live music in Dick's Den on High Street there.
  13. chrisjlaw

Hi from Scotland.

Welcome to AK, John! I know Denny pretty well having lived in Castlecary for many years before moving to New York then back to the UK. My mum still lives in Castlecary so I do try and make it back to Scotland a couple of times a year.
  14. chrisjlaw

What Media Player do you Use???

I'm a fan of JRiver Media Center for playback of my FLAC collection :music:
  15. chrisjlaw

Help choosing a CDP

Have you considered going down the route of buying a good-quality DAC and using your Denon as a transport? This may give you more flexibility for the future. This is only viable if the Denon has a digital out, of course. EDIT: I just did a search on the DCD 1000 specs and it appears it does not...
  16. chrisjlaw

Help choosing a CDP

I recently purchased an Audiolab 8200CD: http://www.audiolab.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?lang=En&Tab2=8200CD It is a beautifully made piece of kit and sounds truly wonderful in my system. I have no regrets spending the cash on it. Moreover, it has a superb DAC into which you can plug a USB...
  17. chrisjlaw

Disappointment Number Known? USB 3.0?

Hi elcoholic, This might be of use: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11663581 Good luck!
  18. chrisjlaw

Best stereo RCA cable for $30?

I agree that the Belkin cables are good value. But if you "google" the name of the guy that wrote the article on Positive Feedback you will find he is an advertising copywriter. Call me a cynic, but......:thumbsdn:
  19. chrisjlaw

Best stereo RCA cable for $30?

Check out Tartan Cables (no affiliation): http://www.tartancable.com/stereo-cables/index.htm I have used these and find them well made and superb value for money. A 3ft pair will run you a mere $5.:thmbsp:
  20. chrisjlaw

Pics of your listening space

Here are some pics of my modest setup. Nothing compared to americankiwi's setup!! Nearly all the gear was purchased on the used market when I used to live in New York City before moving to Ireland. The Denon CD player was a sidewalk find.:banana:
  21. chrisjlaw

Compression Grunge?

I rip to FLAC using either Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp and have had nothing but fantastic results. However, I don't think these will run on Macs or Linux so you will need a Windows machine to use this software. Take a look on the Computer Audiophile forum - I am sure somebody there will be...
  22. chrisjlaw

Mariah LS3a Speakers?

I own a pair of Mariah Acoustics "Thimble" (bookshelf) speakers. They are excellent speakers. So I say go for the LS3a's!
  23. chrisjlaw

24bit/192khz optical and coax options?

I use a Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter to take the USB output (it must be USB 2.0) from my laptop music source and feed it via coaxial into the DAC section of my Audiolab 8200CD. Although a little fiddly to set up (it uses its own ASIO drivers) it sounds great and is...
  24. chrisjlaw

DIY isolation plinth for turntable

Hi Jim, Of course you are correct - I should have said isolation stand.
  25. chrisjlaw

DIY isolation plinth for turntable

No - the stands were some cheap purchases (about 20 UK pounds). They are not the sturdiest but will have to do until the budget becomes available for some better ones.
Back
Top Bottom