Search results

1. T

Belts for Carver SD/A-360 CD Player

cd belts Just in case nobody replies, what you would have to do is remove the existing belt from the cd player. Lay the belt on a flat surface and use a piece of string to obtain the length of the belt. Subtract about 10% for stretching, and then find a belt that matches that length. I had...
  2. T

Why tube rectified?

tube rectifiers Found this in a wikipedia search for advantages of tube recitifiers: The practical advantage to tube rectification is that rectifier tubes require some time to warm up before they begin to conduct. This provides some time for the heaters in the output tubes to warm up as well...
  3. T

I need some advice before i throw down cash...

tubes First thought is do you have access to a tube tester? Whether your intention is to resell or use them in your equipment checking them out first would be a nice thing. I have a few cardboard boxes that i have started filling with rejects and tubes with issues i have bought over the last...
  4. T

About JJ EL34 sound...

EL34's All depends on how much you want to spend. I tried most of the current production EL34's (KT77's/6CA7's) but couldn't bring myself to layout the $$ for the Gold Lion KT77's that were about twice what a quad of most of the others went for. The Tungsol EL34B's were probably my favorites...
  5. T

Help me dive into the world of tubes!

tube stuff Might consider getting just a tube preamp first and power it with a ss amp. That should get you into the tube realm and let you see if things that glow are to your taste. Plus you can usually get more power for the dollar from the ss amps vs what you would have to spend for the...
  6. T

How to use an oscilloscope to figure out stuff in an amp

online Look at tubebooks.org. Down near the bottom are some books from the 40's and 50's about scopes and techniques and a few on troubleshooting with a scope.
  7. T

Which tube amp for a newbie?

There are several really good used preamps out there in the less than $1k range unless you just absolutely have to have a new one. Look around on agon or other classifieds and do a little searching. I am using a Rogue Audio Magnum 66 with my setup and am well pleased with it. I also have a...
  8. T

Which tube amp for a newbie?

another direction Since you have fairly inefficient speakers, you might consider trying instead using a tube preamp with a ss amp. I have used a couple of them in the last few years and am very pleased with the setup. You get the big soundstage and detail, but you still have the big power...
  9. T

Yamaha CD player problem

cd player Could be something as simple as a new belt for the tray motor. I had a 845 that the belt started slipping and couldn't find a replacement. What you have to do is remove the old belt, cut a piece of string and place it on top of the existing belt to get a measurement, then subtract...
  10. T

okay, I am converted - now a couple of questions

tube pre Hey Don, Tubes are very addicting, so be warned. As far as the cover goes, it depends. If you have little ones (kids, grandkids) around, you most likely will want to leave it on so they don't get interested and want to touch the things that glow. I put the top back on mine, but...
  11. T

Going Nuts - Which Pre-Amp???

tube pre Bought a Rogue Audio Magnum 66 not too long ago and have it running with a Yamaha M65 ss amp. Had to contact Rogue and roll a few tubes before i found the sound i was after, but it performs very well. Has me taking another listen to most of my cd collection just to see what i missed...
  12. T

Yamaha M-60....Unravel the mysteries for me.

Yamaha & tube pre Jonesy, I think you will really enjoy the tube pre & Yamaha combination. I have been using it in a couple of systems (M65 & M80 amps) off and on for the last couple of years and the combination yields very nice results, especially with older jazz and classical music. With...
  13. T

Yamaha M-60....Unravel the mysteries for me.

M60 What preamp are you using with the M60? My Yamahas seem to be highly dependent on the preamp selection. Not sure if it is because of the very low THD specs and is just "cleaner" than most amps or what. I also have a Carver TFM 15cb and the Yamaha is much more revealing and detailed...
  14. T

gm values?

gm stuff Along the same lines as the original question, does a higher gm indicate that the tube will have more hours remaining than a comparable tube with a lower gm? My understanding is that the gm values will decrease as the tube gets runtime operating in a system on it. Is that correct...
  15. T

Speaker switch box

box Niles DPS-1
  16. T

Yamaha M-70, -80, -85 level controls

M80 The M80 amp lets you adjust level for the left channel and right channel only. There are switches that allows you to run multiple sets of speakers, but the level controls affect all the ones selected the same.
  17. T

2 different electronic systems, same front speakers?

Check out a Niles DPS-1. Using it presently to switch between a tube integrated and a tube pre/ss amp combination to a single set of speakers. Works well.
  18. T

Opinions on Yamaha M-80???

Have had mine since the early 90's paired originally with a C80 preamp and now with a CX1000. It has performed well and so far hasn't shown any of the issues mentioned in other posts. Very clean and powerful amp. I would love to try the Yamaha pro audio amps though.
  19. T

Yamaha remote

Interesting. This one is a learning type remote. Is the one you have like that also? It may work for all RCX stuff then.
  20. T

Yamaha remote

remote I tried it and it works on my Yamaha TX540 tuner which was only out in 1990. It appears to be a remote setup primarily for a receiver, so i guess it is for the RX series from that timeframe. I pulled out a 1990 Audio magazine buyers guide and it appears to be for the RX-XX30 series...
  21. T

Yamaha remote

I was digging out some old equipment the other day and came across a remote with VL29230 still new in the box. The remote is a learning type remote that is gray color with RCX in white letters at the bottom right. For the life of me i can't remember any of the various Yamaha pieces i have...
  22. T

Need Advice for a good DAC at the price range of 200 - 400 USD

Dac Tom, I recently picked up one of the chinese made Zero DAC's off ebay for around $200 with an upgraded opamp (Audio-gd Sun v2). Later i bought the Audio-gd Moon opamp to play with and give me further options. So far the unit has performed flawlessly and the sound is beyond my...
  23. T

System in the Bedroom?

bedroom system My bedroom system actually is about to bypass what i consider my main system in another part of the house. It goes nicely with the 37" wall mounted lcd tv too. Let me also say that i am single and don't have to worry about the wife factor, so take that into consideration before...
  24. T

What can I do about an amp switcher?

switch Have my second system setup as you describe using a Niles DPS-1. Works well. Not too crazy about the connections on the back though. Ended up having to use pin type connectors for all the wires.
  25. T

tube pre + ss amp?

tube pre with ss amp My 2nd system currently has this setup and i think i listen to it more than i do my main ss system. In my experience the biggest factor will most likely be the type of music you listen to. With classical or jazz music, the tube pre/ss amp is very nice sounding. I still...
Back
Top Bottom