Search results

1. HatchetJack

Featherduster

Anyone else ? I have used one for 10 years to help remove dust from albums and it really works great. On a really dusty album I hit it first with the feather duster and then with the mark 6 brush. Finally I mist the duster lightly with multi surface antibacterial Pledge and hit it once...
  2. HatchetJack

Wooden floors - How to stop needle from skipping

You could also buy some cork board and place sections underneath the legs. And also a sheet or two under the turntable. It will help, a LOT. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/12-x-12-dark-square-cork-tiles-327973/
  3. HatchetJack

Turntable is spinning too slow (pitch problem as well)

Take the bottom cover off and look around, you may see an adjustment but I doubt it. While you're in there look around for any dried up grease or oiling points. Most likely the motor bearings are sealed but you might sneak a drop where the spindle enters the motor and maybe the platter...
  4. HatchetJack

Compactron tube question

Ok so it seems it can be done BUT....and since I was aiming this project towards newbies as a first time DIY project maybe the Compactrons should be left with the old guard. Maybe I should try and find a project that utilizes a tube easily ordered from a standard vendor like a Sovtek or...
  5. HatchetJack

Compactron tube question

Could it be done as a hybrid, op amp with capacitors and a starved plate design utilizing just the pre amp section of the tube? or is it all tied together inside the tube making that very difficult and we just need a dedicated pre amp tube?
  6. HatchetJack

Best budget CD player

As I mentioned before the 5501 PS1 seems to read cdr's much better than the 1001. Not sure why that is? It also seems to have a smoother tone while still having detail. If your looking for a cd player to find the last minute detail then the PS1 is not for you. What is does have is low...
  7. HatchetJack

Compactron tube question

Thanks to everyone for responding and it seems that a small tube pre amp using compactrons is doable. My original intent, although I have not discussed it, can some of you design a pre amp using some flavor of compactrons that will not threaten the supply? A pre that would compete...
  8. HatchetJack

Compactron tube question

Peanuts was what I had in mind yes. From reading about tube amp builds Including the $250 amp it seems the power supply is what eats up the most cash. Can they be powered by batteries or a cheap wall wart? How can a circuit be created?
  9. HatchetJack

Compactron tube question

I guess there are still hundreds of thousands of these old tv tubes still floating around out there. Besides some of them being used to build small spud type amplifiers are there any other ways to utilize them? Could they be utilized in a simple low powered pre amp circuit or tube...
  10. HatchetJack

The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL

Moved question to another thread
  11. HatchetJack

Today's JAZZ playlist

Tried 3 different Lou Rawls albums - didn't care for him 2 Herbie Mann - Meh...... Ahmad Jamal - Naked City Theme WOW... loved Haitian Market Place Got three more of Jamal's, at the Blackhawk, But not for me and with voices Cry Young. Will spin those tomorrow night.
  12. HatchetJack

Today's JAZZ playlist

Played the Stan Getz - Another World again today. I wonder if Jimmy Page and Pink Floyd were influenced by the title track? Some riffs sounded slightly familiar. Overall I liked it Lou Rawls - tried 3 different albums not moved at all by those. Louis Armstrong - And His Hot Five- volume...
  13. HatchetJack

Best budget CD player

Nice review Tom. I have tinkered around with the playstations as well and found the 5501 sounded better in my system than the 1001. It was even warmer, more tubey/ vinyl like and it reads cdr's better. A perfect match for newer cd's recorded at high levels. It does not have the rca...
  14. HatchetJack

What Are The Best Bang For The Buck Sleepers in Modern Gear?

The Sure does seem a little finicky. 20 albums in and I wanted to smash it with a hammer. Moved it to a vintage table with a heavier arm and there was an immediate improvement. 50 albums in and the mids were still cheap sounding. I was using a Marantz 2230 so I starting feeding it with...
  15. HatchetJack

Today's JAZZ playlist

Ok, I will give a more detailed, honest and ignorant review of each album if you will give me a short history lesson on each artist along with your opinion on how they stack up in the world of Jazz. Keep in mind I have only heard of a handful of Jazz artists. The only one I have ever...
  16. HatchetJack

Today's JAZZ playlist

Hey Guys, couple years back I lucked into a large album collection from a retired record executive. In that collection there were about 96 Jazz records. I say about because a few could be R&B. I know very little about Jazz but anyway having the afternoon off I cleaned up a few and gave them...
  17. HatchetJack

Tube amp kit help

I have yet to build a tube amp but have done the same research you are doing. If I had to make a choice today I would probably go with one of the Latino amps probably the 120. Quality, Technical help and resale value would be my reasoning. BUT, you may want to reconsider selling the...
  18. HatchetJack

Audio question! Not sure how to title...

Yeah I suspect a cartridge wiring issue or maybe a dust ball on the stylus?
  19. HatchetJack

Battery Powered Vintage Gear?

It seems that phono stages and small amplifiers can benefit from being powered by batteries. I was wondering if anyone here had tried using a power inverter and 12 volt battery on their home system and if there were any improvements in sound quality? At our hunting cabin we power an...
  20. HatchetJack

Turntable Frustration

Jay, I had that problem as well with my system located on a book shelf. Some woofers were worse than others and moving the table farther away from the speakers seemed to help. The biggest change I made was buying some 1/2 cork board sheets from hobby lobby. They are about 12" x 12"...
  21. HatchetJack

Cheapest way to warm/fatten-up my sound?

I don't know much about tubes and while a tube buffer might help cure some solid state rash I wonder if the bar is just swallowing up the bass. What size is the bar? Is there a lot of hard surfaces, floors, ceilings, stools, glass? All of that will make a good system sound harsh and...
  22. HatchetJack

Bellari VP130 Distortion issue at high output - Thinking power supply or tube issue??

The Bellari should be plugged into aux or tape input right? Not the phono input of the receiver.
  23. HatchetJack

Cheap tweaks for turntable / vinyl setup

I found a pack of dark corkboard sheets at Hobby Lobby measures 12" x 12" x 3/8" placed under the feet as a base it helps dampen from speakers and footsteps. Works great under a playstation 1 as well to keep it from skipping. I would think the super bouncy balls would just help transfer...
  24. HatchetJack

Best Burger Ever!!!

I grilled up a batch of winning burgers at Deer Camp last fall. In a mixing bowl combined 2 - 3 lbs of ground venison with some bacon drippings. Grilled them indirect covered over hot Kingsford charcoal along with a couple dry pecan twigs. Lawd they were tasty. :smoke:
  25. HatchetJack

I'm trying to gauge interest in a new Class T/D sub-forum.

It's not so much the class of amplifier as it is the size, price, performance and availability. Also, the wpc seems to be increasing as well so flea/ low power may not be the best way to catagorize them. When my son gets old enough and if he shows an interest in listening to music I'm...
Back
Top Bottom