Search results

1. audiojones

Do you know Jack?

Frank Sinatra’s version of ”Something“ by George Harrison…”you stick around Jack, it might show…”:beatnik:
  2. audiojones

Do you know Jack?

Jackdaw by Audience (yes, my record collection kinda peaked in the early 70’s :)).
  3. audiojones

Do you know Jack?

Smackwater Jack by Carole King.
  4. audiojones

I found this cool RCA box. What was it for?

Might have been meant for something pertaining to another division of RCA. Could be purpose built for something in the aerospace division, Sarnoff research lab etc. The RCA logo might have just been stuck on there after the fact, too. Either way very nice box!
  5. audiojones

Craigslist Sellers sell junk

Craigslist around here is pretty much dead for audio gear or anything else anymore. The last good thing I bought on Craigslist was a fairly new Toro SR4 Super Recycler mower with the blade brake clutch, grass catcher, side chute and all paperwork for $75 bucks last summer.
  6. audiojones

Which speakers did you decide to buy back / buy again?

I went through an “equipment clean out” phase and sold my beautiful pair of KLH Fives, then immediately regretted it. Fortunately I found another super nice pair about a year later and snapped ‘em up, I’m never letting them go this time. During the same clean out phase I foolishly let go of a...
  7. audiojones

Ali Express take up reels?

Hey if you just want a 10” reel of tape and a take up reel I’d be glad to mail a set to you for the cost of shipping, they’re just plastic ones but the tape is good and doesn’t shed. It’s Scotch brand, I forget the number but I use it often on my TEAC decks.
  8. audiojones

Pioneer SX-950 newbie help.

Might have been a control position issue. There are two tape monitor loops and an adapter loop, any one of those three switches will override and kill all audio input except for what is fed through them. There is also an audio muting switch over by the volume knob which will knock the audio...
  9. audiojones

VM95ML Stylus issues

Well it definitely looks better, it looks square with the body now.
  10. audiojones

AM "Radio Wiring" in Old Dwellings

So during our latest fire inspection here at work the local Fire Marshall said these batteries from the old abandoned phone system have to be removed. Check out the dates! This building was completed in 1908 and the wall cabinet with the old phone system in it was originally a fuse box for the...
  11. audiojones

Elac Miracord 50H Service Manual…. In English?

Great turntable there, love those Miracords. Good luck with it, they usually don’t need much to come back to life.
  12. audiojones

What on God's Green Earth...

Here’s the version I remember. Seems like it was only on the radio for a short time but it had a great beat and (to me) was pretty cool. Right up there with all the other rock / soul / R&B stuff I was into as a kid. Don’t know why the memory of it just popped up 50+ years later, funny that it’s...
  13. audiojones

Dyslexic tape?

Is this an auto-reverse tape deck by any chance? I’ve run across similar issues when the head reversing relay fails to mute and/or when the head positioning solenoid plunger (in the case of older Akai decks) gets hung up and plays the wrong side. What kind of tape deck is it?
  14. audiojones

Anyone Seen this June 2022 Article About Joseph Long (Needlestein)?

Interesting article and an interesting magazine! I miss Joseph’s input in the turntable forum and glad he’s doing so well. What a great guy!
  15. audiojones

Quality of RTR Tapes

Watch out with that Sony PR-150, that one has a common issue with the lubrication formula drying out and causing it to squeal and chatter through the transport. Had a huge stockpile of it, properly stored by myself and the previous owner. I’d say about 80-90% of it dried out and started...
  16. audiojones

What on God's Green Earth...

The same damn thing happened to me a while ago out of the blue! I was minding my own business when, for some reason, I thought back to a moment from the early 70’s when I was at a friends house and we were playing a bunch of 45’s that we each had. He had some great ones, I remember Joe Tex “I...
  17. audiojones

Sony TC-350C R2R questions

I’d give the drive wheels a little more attention, make sure they grip properly and aren’t glazed. Also check the linkages when you shift it to rewind, often the pivot point get stiff due to old grease which prevents the idler tires from pivoting into place to drive the reel tables. Sounds like...
  18. audiojones

Yes, it’s the large can capacitor. Look closely at the terminals where the wires are connected, they often use the terminals as connection points for other stuff. According to the schematic this model doesn’t have the 50hz option, so chances are that the third wire is just a pass through...
  19. audiojones

Ha! Just the motor cap, no other capacitors should be causing any issues. The whole “recap everything no matter what” phenomenon is nonsense for the most part. That one particular capacitor is a very common issue, the rest of the electronics in older Sony equipment tends to be very stable and...
  20. audiojones

The motor has lubricating ports and may need oil, use a little fine sewing machine oil or clock oil, but to be honest it sounds like the motor capacitor might need to be replaced. Clean and rubber-renew all of the idlers for sure, but it’s a good idea to replace the motor capacitor anyway if it...
  21. audiojones

1/2 Speed Reel to Reel Tapes

See post #3 or #7.
  22. audiojones

I know if I had access to a bunch of half speed mastered LPs I’d most likely record them on my 7” open reel deck at 7 1/2 ips quarter track stereo so I could enjoy them without putting any wear on the albums, at least that’s what I used to do back when most of these albums were current. I used...
  23. audiojones

I see Joni Mitchell “Court and Spark”, The Police “Zenyatta Mondatta”, Steely Dan “Katy Lied”, “Gaucho”and “Aja”, Linda Ronstadt “Simple Dreams”, Pink Floyd DSOTM, Supertramp “Crime of the Century”, Doobie Brothers “Minute by Minute” and “The Captain and Me”, and one box that’s unlabeled. I...
  24. audiojones

Realistic (Teleton) TR-90 Reel

Who’s Teleton, were they the builder? There’s so little information out there on that kind of stuff.
  25. audiojones

Vintage Ampex R2R tape deck - $100 (Austin)

Looked like an AG-350 transport. Those things take up a lotta room (I used to have one).
Back
Top Bottom