Search results

1. R

Cart storage?

Get creative and make your own is always my response. The technics overhang gauges are an easy bit to add to a box or stand. Ive seen people glue them to their plinth. I made and use two of these. They face opposite directions and are placed on either side of the TT. You need to find a BF load...
  2. R

Broken Hearted

I recommend reading one of my favorite blogs dedicated to the eradication of pink, glitter and little girls with pacifying parents. Goodbye Kitty. Im also big on cat juggling, catsy sack and pre-1900's folk guitars. so it stands to reason. No, seriously, I like Korean food. :D
  3. R

Kenwood TT Overhang ?

I really liked that table and it was my daily driver for a year. It had all the convenience features I liked. (I need an automatic table). I tested over 50 different carts on that table from junk to Decca and they all adjusted to work well. To this day I really dont have a favorite cart. It...
  4. R

Lets See Your Magnavox Console Amps!

No, its not the same one. I found a lump of solder grounding a pin on that one. One of my many bad days I have now. That one is a 8802 and Its all good now and singing. Ive "re-sounded" a couple dozen of these over the years and still have pics of many of them. Ive settled on the...
  5. R

Heres the bottom of one that is dead quiet. 9304 not even fully restored. Keep power with power. input with input and output with output. I also use 8 gauge shielded coax for input. ..
  6. R

Sometimes it's the little things: wiring layout

Its an issue I see here a lot, especially on amps being chassis swapped or console amp refubs. It doesnt always cause a problem but when it does its usually a puzzler for the offender. Keep power with power, output away from power, input away from output and power has been credo I struggle...
  7. R

Life Expentancy of OM30 Cartridge??

I agree that carts will last indefinitely but... the OM's and OM supers have very delicate windings and/or internal pin connections. Do Not test an OM cart for continuity with a DVOM. At least not a DVOM that uses a 9v battery without ability to dial down the voltage. Much safer would be to...
  8. R

Learning about vintage tube amps...references?

Hi, For starters I'd recommend getting a RCA receiving tube manual. One with a copyright date in the 1970's or late 60's would be best as some of the earlier versions arent complete with later model tubes. The manual has alot more in it than descriptions and specs for tubes. It contains...
  9. R

Gray 700 series console. Can somebody tell me what I have?

Excellent find. Those metal based tubes are highly sought after units and if good are the icing on your cake. Excellent find. :yes: ..
  10. R

Need help identifying vintage Magnavox

When they start up and work fine for a minute then slowly fade down, it is indicative of a spent vacuum tube (or two or three etc)
  11. R

Console preamps; anybody tweak/use them???

I kept and used a Motorola console preamp for awhile. I dont remember the model but it was conveniently small and compact. Best part was it wasn't attached to the tuner and had an extra input which was used for its vibrasonic unit. I freshened it up later and cased it with feet. It went for a...
  12. R

Heres a couple more. An 8802 from a few years ago A 9602 (from a TV console) ..
  13. R

Theres one for sale in Pheonix CL right now. A kid is selling it and "someone told him" it was worth a lot. So he'll probably keep it for awhile. Too bad cause I'd drive a bit to get it. What you need to rebuild it is probably new tubes and to flip it upside down and replace a few caps and...
  14. R

Kenwood TT Overhang ?

No, this thread is ancient and that table was gone long ago. It turned out to be 52mm and was a question asked by the new owner. I couldnt remember at the time since it had been in storage for two years. The issue was that the owners manual showed a setting based on spindle to tip but being an...
  15. R

Kt150

Making sound is one thing but ability is another. The big 88' or 120' amps that these would be retro'd into may have the PT to handle the 150's (or not) but what about the OPT's?. Are there currently any OPT's on the market to take advantage of such a tube? I mean never before, not even in the...
  16. R

Pioneer PL-L1000 Counterweight

are you talking about the big one with the integral plastic disc marked with gram weight or the optional one that threads behind it? The optional one is really not needed and you cant put it on with most carts, it makes the arm too heavy. You need a headweight of over 30 grams to need the...
  17. R

Magnavox mono console amp. Amp 142 20w w/4 6v6 and 2-5y3, 1-12AX7 I had two of them (sans cabinet) and had plans to combine them into one dual mono, stereo amp. I ended up selling them when I moved from Seattle. The PT's and OPT's are very sturdy and overbuilt for their application. You've got...
  18. R

Rectifier "sound"

Yes, looked at from that point of view, everything is in the signal path, but we have filter caps between the PT and the tubes. I can accept that the sound changes from voltage and current levels but if we can hear different rectifiers why cant we hear different filter caps or 60 cycle...
  19. R

Rectifier "sound"

Im a nay sayer (in Audio Amplifiers) The only way a rectifier has an effect on the sound is during high current demand. If the voltage drops due to high demand the amp may change tone due to low voltage and again on its swing back. Ive never heard a difference in an Audio amp and Ive tried with...
  20. R

Harman Kardon Citation II: replace tube sockets or not?

I agree with above. I've used the middle priced Chinese Ceramic sockets and had the sockets loosen after being heated for solder at the lugs. The "gold" discolored also. Absolute junk. If the amp is unusable now due to socket scratch, of course replace them. what good is it if not? I'm not sure...
  21. R

Extra Magnavox 8802 eyes needed. And maybe some smarts too.

See there, how could I forget the heaters are AC ? I must be really wonked out. All the tube sockets are still wired from the factory, all I did was remove the trannys and lower the sockets and wiring after drilling their rivets to paint the chassis. The 6EU7's glow fine on my tester. The hum...
  22. R

Extra Magnavox 8802 eyes needed. And maybe some smarts too.

Ever since I was shot my thinking has been short and a little cloudy. Old things arent the same and new things are new again and again. That and one arm makes things pretty effed up. So I picked up a Magnavox Console here in town last week and have been setting the amp up for stand alone. It...
  23. R

Pioneer S-Arm 49mm Overhang Setting

Everyone should make sure of their overhang by simply finding an owners manual. If no manual can be found, here we are. Assuming that all Pioneers use 49mm and just going with that isn't.... well we all know what assuming does... As far as Pioneer using different length arms by a couple mm and...
  24. R

Pioneer S-Arm 49mm Overhang Setting

Im not sure what your question is here. But there surely cant be controversy over the need for correct overhang. There is no argument. Overhang is so that the diamond is as close to a 90 degree angle between the spindle and the arm crux. This is done to get the diamond as close to a neutral...
  25. R

Does LP Gear ever reply to emails?!!

LP Gear and LP Tunes are the same company and run out of a storage container. They arent pro's at anything but selling gear. Any tech questions are out of their league. They would look it up same as you. I emailed about stock availability a month ago and got a reply in one day. ..
Back
Top Bottom