Search results

1. johnnm

Speaker thump on turn off (active speakers)

I recently got some Mackie MR8 monitors for use near my computer desk. They've got a built in amplifier. They're connected to my computer through a DAC by unbalanced RCA cords. They both exhibit a "thump" when switched off, regardless of whether or not the DAC is on or not. One makes a very loud...
  2. johnnm

Near-field listening - desktop - $500

Thinking about new "computer" speakers. I have some vintage Utahs that are poorly placed and probably need new L-pads. Point is, they make noise but I'm looking for a major upgrade. I've heard great things about Swan's M200 series (powered speakers specifically designed for desktop use.)...
  3. johnnm

Enclosures for DIY projects

Can anyone recommend a source of enclosures or chassis for any DIY projects (e.g. power amps, pre-amps, headphone amps)? I'm considering trying something over at Elliot Sound Products, but don't know what I'd put it in if I ever finished it. Thanks for the suggestions.
  4. johnnm

Do people sell grey market items on audiogon?

I've been looking for a few items on audiogon lately, and have noticed lots of ads for 100% new items, sealed in the box. Thing is, some of these items are a generation old. (For example...) Any fool can use equipment for a year or two, say to himself, "hey, there's no cosmetic damage," put...
  5. johnnm

What would you pay for a used Rega Planet CD player?

What would you pay for a used, good condition Rega Planet CD player? Also, does anyone know when this unit was released and when it was discontinued? Thanks!
  6. johnnm

What speakers might one pair with a Miniwatt amp?

Miniwatt sells 2.5W and a 3.5W tube-based amps. Given their low power output and low price point (both sub $400), what speakers might one pair with such an amp?
  7. johnnm

Who makes good TVs?

I'm looking for a 40" TV. Who are good manufacturers? Sharp? Sony? Others?
  8. johnnm

Push-to-close-and-open cd player won't stay shut

I was asked by a family member to see if I could fix a clock-radio-CD player that won't stay shut. (Couldn't have cost more than $50.) The lid to the CD player is hinged, and attached to springs which push the lid into the "open" position. It's supposed to stay closed by way of a spring loaded...
  9. johnnm

Article on AM radio

I found this article on AM radio. I don't know if the proposed 10x increase in wattage would help the situation, but I'd like AM to stay around for a while longer. And admittedly, I don't listen to it too much precisely because of the static issues. Browsing through the first page of comments...
  10. johnnm

Moving to a very small apartment in New York

I'll be moving to New York at the end of the summer and will be starting my first job. I'm currently living in a modest sized apartment, and thus am using a pair of Polk RTi A5's tower speakers as well as JBL L100T's. I don't think either pair will make the move with me. From what I've seen...
  11. johnnm

Questions about USB cables and DIY

There will always be the argument of whether or not the cable matters. As far as DIY solutions, I haven't seen anything. Since you're even asking, I'd say get a quality cable, even if it costs more - get your peace of mind.
  12. johnnm

B&W tweeter issues?

Did you blow the tweeters 3 times on the same model? Seems to me there's something else going on besides cheap tweeters. What do you mean "too loud", exactly? How loud are we talking about? And what amplification was used?
  13. johnnm

Fisher 500c-sell it whole or part it out?

I guess try to sell it whole, just cause it seems easier than selling it piece by piece. Find somebody who wants to restore it and you'll get a good price. A clean faceplate will bring in quite a bit more than a scathed one, so you got that going for you. Which method will bring in more money...
  14. johnnm

SA-7800 with intermittent static

I've cleaned the front controls on the unit. I haven't done or checked anything else. Currently searching for service manual. Static lasts for 5-15 seconds and is only noticable at lower volumes. Changing the volume has no effect on the loudness of static coming through speakers. First...
  15. johnnm

Subwoofer-proof apartments - fantasy?

Anyone ever have success with a subwoofer in an apartment? (ie no problems with neighbors) Normally it's not a problem because I don't listen at a high enough volume for it to be a problem, but once in a while I like to let loose and turn it up. I always felt slightly bad about doing it...
  16. johnnm

The most Gaudy Estate ever!

Hell, I like it! Looks good!
  17. johnnm

Vintage Pioneer SX-450 Receiver - $25 PHX CL

Listing deleted. What's wrong with the face?
  18. johnnm

Pioneer SX-5580 Dallas CL

These black units don't come along too often. I think his price is around where I would price it were the unit mine. At least the first time I listed it.
  19. johnnm

Ann Arbor / Metro Detroit deals

The guy's asking $550 for that Marantz 2245 with wood case... I think he's out of his mind. That 6100 is a decent deal though...can't tell if the cover is scratched (can be buffed out) or cracked, however.
  20. johnnm

Oppo BDP-83SE and an external DAC

First things first: I haven't owned or ever seen an Oppo BDP-83 or BDP-83SE. It's my understanding the SE has an upgraded audio section and power supply. My question is, how good is the audio on this player? I'm personally a fan of external DACs up until this point. My second question is...
  21. johnnm

HK3490 - no loudness control?

I guess I am stuck with tone controls. Just a pain to have to adjust every time I change the volume.
  22. johnnm

Yeah, but what about the top end? :wtf::mad: Do most modern receivers lack a loudness control? Was this a thing of the past?
  23. johnnm

I have an HK3490 receiver. Sometimes I like to listen to music while trying to fall asleep. I can't find a loudness control on it (or any mention of one in the manual [pdf]). Did Harman Kardon really not include one? Listening at low volume levels sounds crappy.
Back
Top Bottom