Search results

1. Layoutpad

My cleaned up Marantz 2238B

I like the sound of lower powered receivers and amps. The bigs are for collecting. The littles are for listening. (35-75 WPC) In my humble opinion.
  2. Layoutpad

Rotel ra 1412

I use it as an integrated. I bought it completely gone over with all the boards re-capped (included the main caps). I always have all my vintage equipment re-capped although my sources (and funds) for service in DFW area have pretty much dried up. Pretty happy with the current collection, so...
  3. Layoutpad

Rotel ra 1412

I don't remember what the specific issue initially was (believe it was the source or bad cables) but the Rotel ended up being one of the keepers in my system. I t is very balanced with a great soundstage and holds it own against everything else in my rack. A joy to listen to.
  4. Layoutpad

Rotel ra 1412

I recently acquired a fully restored/re-capped Rotel RA1412 and have to agree about the rolled-off harshness in the high end. This particular unit has a hair trigger volume pot that jumps from being a bit too soft between 43 & 37 (way too loud and harsh). About 9:00. Setting mute to -10db gives...
  5. Layoutpad

The Amazing Blue Leesonic NAD 3020/4020 Combo

Recently purchased these restored gems from Leesonic. (see description below). They are on top of the mac stack in the the photo and hold their own against some pretty stiff competition IMHO. Wasn't prepared for how dynamic and full 20WPC can sound. The sound stage is spot on and clearly defined...
  6. Layoutpad

What Is Your Holy Grail Receiver or Receivers That Will Complete Your Setup??

Kind of Jonesin' for a restored Marantz 2285B. I had one and had to sell it. Really regretting that one. (Oh, and a Pioneer SX-1250, regrets about letting that one go as well.)
  7. Layoutpad

How many have speakers toed in?

My NLAdvents in my office have a crazy toe (unequal) because my desk puts me about 1 foot in "front" of them. Crazy as it sounds, I'm getting some decent soundstage/imaging. In the serious listening room upstairs, the Chorus II's are toed in slightly. (a nanu-nanu)
  8. Layoutpad

The biggest and baddest Pre Amplifiers of all time?

My faves: 1. The Marantz 3300 (the 250 amp sure does help though) 2/3. Pass Aleph II and the Adcom GFP750. Both designed by Nelson Pass. Not exactly "big iron," but the best pre-amps I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. 4. Honorable mention, Sony TA-2000/2000f. Fully restored, they hold...
  9. Layoutpad

Onkyo TX-2500...Surprised by how good this "little" receiver is

Thanks for NOT buying it. Have too much hi-fi gear as well, but it sure is a fun hobby!
  10. Layoutpad

I have the SX-727 and it's a wonderful sounding receiver. It will need a restoration at some point but at the moment it sounds awesome as it is. Lately, been acquiring low-to mid receivers (in their line-ups) in the 25-60 wpc range. Discovering for the type of listening I do in my office...
  11. Layoutpad

How to the two compare? Which one do you think sounds better?
  12. Layoutpad

" is correct. I was referring to it's "low" 27 wpc output and second from bottom place in the Onkyo line-up. (yeah, I know, more quotation marks) She sure has a lot of grunt for the rated output. At medium loud volume (about 9:00 on the volume knob) there's an abundance of detailed punch in the...
  13. Layoutpad

What Is Your Holy Grail Receiver or Receivers That Will Complete Your Setup??

Nikko NR-1415 top (tater415 was correct) Hitachi SR-2004 second from top
  14. Layoutpad

Purchased this "little" gem from Ak'er ChicagoTom a few weeks back (for $135.00 shipped), because I had one back in college. Forgot how good this receiver is. It will need to be re-capped at some point, because she's all original inside, but wow, she sounds pretty impressive. I just did a...
  15. Layoutpad

My new 2245 FULLY RESTORED by former member Bob

Wow. That's is beautiful. Inside and out. Recently raved about my unrestored 2245 in this forum. (It's my favorite Marantz, beating out my re-capped 2270). Can only imagine how beautiful yours must sound.
  16. Layoutpad

Advice needed: Marantz 2250 Tuner re-string (from scratch)

Thanks. That's a great tip for any future Ak'ers who are in a similar predicament who stumble onto this post.
  17. Layoutpad

Another One Bites The Dust small eBay rant...

Did contact the seller, and he was more than accommodating and sent a very quick, and reasonable partial refund. Got sense that he shared our passion for vintage hi-fi and was genuinely bummed out that the Marantz suffered injuries on it's journey.
  18. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

:beerchug:I'm in agreement with you on the 2230. Had one that was completely restored by CD Kands. Full description here: http://www.cdkands.com/marantz2230/Mntz2230_1.html Although I wanted to love it, the sound always seemed a bit lethargic, and thin. Perhaps it was that individual 2230, but...
  19. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

That's a beauty! Listening to mine as I type this, (Prokofiev) and still amazed how good original 44-year old electrolytics can sound. (Yes, as I stated earlier, she's living on borrowed time)...
  20. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

Sharp eye. (thanks for catching the typo), but since you ask... The pixels get sprinkled in the back yard and mixed with a bit of dog poop. Have 4 dogs, so the poop is plentiful.:crazy:
  21. Layoutpad

Advice needed: Marantz 2250 Tuner re-string (from scratch)

May the farce be with you...
  22. Layoutpad

Another One Bites The Dust small eBay rant...

Just went though the same thing with shipping/poor packing. The unfortunate 2250B suffered the same exact bend on the corner, a broken power switch, headphone jack, all the tabs were broken off the lightbox and the tuner string was knocked loose. Used a body work hammer, (very gently) a piece...
  23. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

I do retouching and photocompositing for a living. Besides having a good color-corrected monitor, the tunes are the second most important thing.:music:
  24. Layoutpad

It’s Back! Marantz 2270

That sure is purty. (IMHO) the 2270 is one of the better sounding Marantz receivers. Enjoy!:beerchug:
  25. Layoutpad

New 2245 score

Purchased this gem from AK'er welcomdmat a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share how amazed I am with the sound. Owned and listened to a lot of Marantz gear, (2230, 2240, 2250, 2250b, 2270, 2285b, 2325, 4230, 4240, 4270, 4300 & a 250 / 3300 pairing ) The 250/3300 are my favorites (paired with...
Back
Top Bottom