Search results

1. R

Harman Kardon 725 Pre Amp quiet left channel

As another owner of this unit - also with ongoing output issues, the relay was replaced with one of equal vintage. This fixed the problem for a while, but then one channel (right) became noticeably weaker. This took the amp / power amp out of rotation. I removed the volume pot and cleaned it...
  2. R

Akai GX-F31 Cassette Issue

So as it turns out there was a bad capacitor on the motor board and replacing this has remedied the door drive motor. I have guessed at the trim pot settings and it is working okay, still a little bit weak, it may be the belt. The readings still do not reflect the service manual voltages...
  3. R

Akai GX-F31 Cassette Issue

Been working on this deck off and on for a while - it was working okay, but had some issues that needed attention. Anyone have an answer? where to connect the (+) when adjusting the voltage as in service manual, diagram 8-1, pp 2-8 does not match the f-31 model there are 6 terminals shown on...
  4. R

tannoy 609

My goals are - better sound! The cabinets seem like press wood and flimsy. They are not the most attractive either, so with new cabinets I may achieve the goal. Is the flimsy cabinet resonance part of the initial design? They seem to know what they are doing. I am okay with adding some volume...
  5. R

tannoy 609

Have been using these for a while now and curious that they are rarely mentioned in threads. They can be somewhat sibilant at times but work well in my smallish space. Toyed with the idea of building new cabinets for the drivers keeping the same total volume. I Can't find a whole lot of...
  6. R

spindle reamer

Thought I would share a solution to the 'record spindle hole too small' problem. It may have been mentioned at some point; somewhere. The knurled handle of a Staedtler 2mm drafting lead holder works great, there are many just sitting in drawers waiting for a job to do, to be sure.
  7. R

another rcm

I hadn't realized the number of cleaning fluid options, I have a lot of the isopropyl alcohol still and will not explore fluid alternatives until I run out, but this may make the most sense. It has been over 5 years since the original construction and I haven't kept up on all of the...
  8. R

another rcm

I am not that exact with the mixing ~ 1/4 - 99% alcohol, 3/4 - distilled water & a few drops of photoflow
  9. R

another rcm

Rcm update: I have replaced the vacumn pump with something much more suitable, it is oil less and a quieter unit, nevermind the oil vapourizing! The windshield washer pump is not working out, I have replaced this twice now and am having issues with the pvc tubing that is in permanent contact...
  10. R

Nice free haul

Is this a record for resurrecting an old thread?
  11. R

Anyone make their own passive radiator?

If you add a back plate with a bolt, leave room to add / subtract steel washers and use trial and error until it sounds the best.
  12. R

Kenwood KA-6004 amp left side went out

I had a similar problem which was resolved when I cleaned the speaker relay. It still does have issues once in a while (right side) in my case.
  13. R

Victoria BC - Vancouver Island Deal Alerts

well made and low priced! http://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/ele/5489295202.html
  14. R

jana tape

Ah yes Woolco, purveyors of fine merchandise, enough said! Wish they were still around, even though the lighting made me nauseous...
  15. R

jana tape

Thanks, the article from Billboard 'sheds' some light, the owner's target market was not the high end phile! The tape colour is reddish brown, comparable to standard cassette tape. The tapes were not costly so no great loss, I have looked on the Tapeheads forum, but am not a member.
  16. R

jana tape

Thanks, I am in B.C. but think that the tapes made their way out from the Prairie. My deck needs calibration and who knows what they were recorded initially. There is not much on them worth saving for the most part.
  17. R

jana tape

Here is a picture, does it not scream 'quality' My guess it is from late 60's early 70's
  18. R

jana tape

Does anyone have knowledge of this tape brand? I have a few 7" reels of it, the boxes say professional recording tape, finest quality, so it must be ok! 1.0 mil mylar - micro fidelity reproduction, made in U.S.A. It is odd that searching on line came up with nothing whatsoever.
  19. R

Kenwood ka 8004 trouble....

I have a ka-6004 and had no sound from one channel when first turned on. This was solved by turning up the volume - a temporary fix. I then cleaned the speaker relay, problem solved.
  20. R

EPI 200 - Internal Dampening material

Updating - finished custom 200's with donors from my underwhelming 180's. I am very pleased with the results, the passive radiator needed some trial and error adding of weights and I am still not 100% sure that it is 'perfect' The amount of box fill seems to be critical, and since they...
  21. R

EPI 200 - Internal Dampening material

I redid the surrounds and recapped a pair of 180m, was not that impressed. Having too many speakers! - cannibalized a pair of 12" woofers from Baycrest +9 speakers and converted them into passive radiators for a pair of custom built 200's. I will have the added bonus of using the left over...
  22. R

Luxman owners can you share pics of your luxman equipment?

L & G - L 2600 amplifier - 14 1/2" x 10" x 5" very clean, don't think it has had much use.
  23. R

turntable stable choice

Thanks for the input, I am keeping them all! for now at least. I will take some time to do a more critical analysis with the cartridges that are on hand. Hopefully that will give better direction.
  24. R

turntable stable choice

The MS needs a new cartridge - maybe I should do A vs. B with the same cart!
  25. R

turntable stable choice

My go to turntable is a Hitachi PS-48 which is without issue. I also have a Micro Seiki DD-35, a Dual 721 and a Dual 1019 to choose from. The MS looks better but is it an improvement sonically? The Dual 721 is the only that has vertical height adjustment. A new plinth is not out of the...
Back
Top Bottom