Search results

1. JohnMac

Refoam advice please

Hey all, I'm replacing the surrounds on a pair of Allison Sevens for a friend. The originals were foam but someone replaced them with rubber. i've replace a number of foam surrounds but never tried to remove and clean up rubber ones. I know I can scrape the rubber off of the basket but I'm a...
  2. JohnMac

Dual 12XX question

Hey folks, I'm working on a 1214 ran into an issue that I can't figure out. The motor start/stop lever doesn't pivot on the pin and I can't figure out how to remove it for cleaning. With the nut on the top of the deck removed the pin won't turn. Any help will be much appreciated.
  3. JohnMac

Record Player Guitar Amp

Hey folks, I just finished a little guitar amp made from an old Newcomb classroom record player, using a 12AX7, EL84 and a 6X4 rectifier. It's based on a Gibson Skylark/Kalamazoo/Lancer. It's a fun little amp and sounds great for small room playing. This is the second one that I've built and...
  4. JohnMac

Are these really 7316s?

Greetings, I have a number of these tubes. They are all marked 7316 with a marker but there is no other printing except that each one has a three digit number at the top. Those numbers are all different. 051, 062 etc. The only other marking is a little red ink on a few of them. They are all...
  5. JohnMac

5E3 Deluxe conversion

Hey folks, I've kind of gotten out of the audio thing and haven't been around for a while. It's good to be posting here again. About 8 years ago I was using a Pilot AA-903 in a dedicated mono system. I decided to break it down and sell the amp. No luck with a sale so I decided to convert it to...
  6. JohnMac

Were These Capacitors Used In 1964?

Hi folks, I'm checking out a guitar amp for a friend. It's a 1964 Epiphone EA33-RVT. Same circuit as a Gibson GA-17RVT He may flip it so we aren't going do much to it other than to get it running and make it safe. I'm wondering if these orange drops used in '64 or were they likely replaced...
  7. JohnMac

Old Guitar Projects

A customer/friend seems to come across some cool old guitars and amps. He brings them to me to do what I can to make them playable. Some more challenging than others because he would like them to remain as original as possible. I've had to fabricate a few parts and out of necessity replace some...
  8. JohnMac

Possible great deal on test equipment etc in Denver area

This stuff is in a local second hand store. A lot of Heathkit stuff. Besides what's shown in the pics there are boxes of misc stuff, a lot of which I don't recognize. Everything is super clean. The owner is close to throwing it all in the trash. I asked what he wanted for it and he just said...
  9. JohnMac

Dynaco ST-70 fried power tubes, blown fuse

Hey folks, It's been a while since I've hung around here. A friend brought me his Dynaco for a retube and bias set. After a couple of months of running 10 hours per day, several days per week it fried two power tubes and blew the fuse. The tubes were one each from the same section of each...
  10. JohnMac

Dynaco ST-70 Trouble with Biasing

Hello all, I offered to try to bias an St-70 for a friend. I've never done this before but the process seems to be pretty simple so I thought I'd give it a shot because I own one too and want to learn how to do it. Two tubes are a new matched set and the other two test strong but I don't know...
  11. JohnMac

Gibson GA-19RVT guitar amp help needed please

Hey folks, I'm replacing the E caps in this otherwise nice working amp. I found a small ceramic disc cap with on leg disconnected. It's on pin 6, plate, of V1. I can't figure out where it is supposed to be connected. And yes, this thing is pretty grungy. I'll put up an image of the schematic...
  12. JohnMac

Marantz 1060 rebuild kit?

Hey folks, I'm considering restoring my 1060 myself but ordering parts seems nightmarish to me. Does anyone know of a reliable source for a complete kit with quality components? My other option is to send it to a respected tech, preferably an AK member. Any input will be much appreciated! John
  13. JohnMac

Dynaco ST-70 input resistor

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've been on this forum. I'm replacing the input jacks on a friends ST-70. There is a 470K input resistor on only one channel. Is this normal? I think this was a kit, based on the wiring routes and soldering iron melts on the insulation although that may be...
  14. JohnMac

Dual 1219 - Need help removing speed selector

Hey folks, I'm swapping out the speed selector assembly on this 1219 and can't figure out how to remove the black dial that appears to be holding it in place. I think it's part # 11 on the service manual diagram. It looks like there is a kind of retainer on the top. But it's not like a normal...
  15. JohnMac

Ukulele

Does anyone here mess around with a uke? My wife and I are going to uke jam at a local brew pub this afternoon. All skill levels invited. These are getting more common around here and I think it would be fun to join in. I have an old plastic toy uke that is mostly unplayable. My wife has a...
  16. JohnMac

How did I miss this forum?

How long have we had a musical intruments forum? I've hung around here for some time but never noticed it. Over time I've grown little bored with general audio stuff and my interests have shifted to guitars and amps. I'm not much of a musician and never will be but I love the gear and have had...
  17. JohnMac

Signal tube in power tube socket-need advice

Hey all, I somehow managed to put a 12AX7 in the 6BQ5 socket on a little DIY guitar amp. Something burned and I have no signal. Before I start probing I thought I'd ask for some advice on the most likely place to begin. Visual inspection doesn't show any burned resistors. What kind of damage...
  18. JohnMac

kve777 delivers!

Kevin came through with a couple of tubes that I needed. Great price and shipped before I even paid for them.
  19. JohnMac

Dual 1019 spindle bearing and motor lubrication

Hey folks, I've rehabbed quite a few Duals and I'm still not sure what the best lubricants are for the platter bearing and motor. I've been using Mobil1 full synthetic 10w30 motor oil for both applications and I've been happy with the results. However, the stuff stinks and the odor sticks...
  20. JohnMac

Magnavox 175: Adding a volume pot

Howdy all, I'm finishing up a Maggie 175 and could use some help with correctly adding a volume pot. Do I simply interrupt the signal between the input jack and the tube? I assume the the 470K to ground gets removed and the 47K and input cap go between the pot and tube? Also, is it best to put...
  21. JohnMac

Shure N44-7 or E?

Hi folks, I'd like some opinions on the choice of these two styli. I have a brown body N44 with an original E stylus. Tables are Dual 1009/1019/1229Q, ARXA, and Thorens TD-145. New and old records, stereo and mono, mostly jazz and blues. Any input will be appreciated! John
  22. JohnMac

ARXA head shells

Hi Folks, I have two spare head shells for my ARXA but neither on will mount on the arm. The pins are longer and the diameter is slightly larger. However all three fit my other XA. Must be an early/later version thing? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks, John
  23. JohnMac

Questions on testing a power transformer

Hi folks, I have an old Hammond 272X power transformer that I would like to use in a guitar amp build. I'm not sure about the voltage readings that I'm getting. My house line voltage is pretty high, at 121VAC. This tranny should have 650v, 5v and 6v. Reading each side of the high voltage to...
  24. JohnMac

I think I accidentally sold my SAS

I have (had) an N91ED JICO SAS that I hadn't used for some time. I decided to swap out the EVG that I use for everyday listening. I took the SAS out of it's box and noticed that the cantilever looked a bit thick. I've sold several refurbished Duals this past year and have the feeling that I let...
  25. JohnMac

63pontiac - above and beyond

I purchased a Bob Marley record from Mike and not only was it conservatively graded, packaged correctly and shipped fast, he included extras that are too generous to mention. Thanks Mike! John
Back
Top Bottom