Search results

1. Thrift-a-holic

To buy or not to by DIY EV speakers

So I brought amp over to the store to try them out. They do work. I was able to get them in just the right light and see more detail on the woofer through thethick lattice style mesh. They do have the EV logo as stated. They appear to be in the 6-8 inch range. Probably 8's. I think they...
  2. Thrift-a-holic

DLK 1 1/2 speakers -- any owners here?

For what it is worth I have had a 4ohm version of these two. I did not like them as much as the 8ohm. Also, it does look like your tweeters are replacements. You can buy those same tweeters at a speaker repair shop here locally. They keep them on hand just for the DLK's. I should not say I...
  3. Thrift-a-holic

DLK 1 1/2 speakers -- any owners here?

1.5 are the bomb. I live in Minneapolis where they were made. I have a set of the 1.5's and 3's. They are both amazing speakers in my opinion. I love love love DLK. When you crank those dual 8's up you will be blown away. Love the strong tight bass.
  4. Thrift-a-holic

To buy or not to by DIY EV speakers

In my area there is a pair of homemade speakers for sale. They look well built. Very old school kinda like an Aristocrat. All I can see through the grill is the logo EV for Electrovoice. The speaker are probably in the 6-8 inch range. There is a whole where a tweater might be but I can't...
  5. Thrift-a-holic

Please help me understand this Onkyo "feature"

My gut tells me that running any kind of filter is going to be somewhat of a gimmic anyhow. I guess I will just have to play with it some and try to get a feel for the effect. The odd thing is how the CX knobs on the back actually adjust the volume. Not by a small amount either. It makes a...
  6. Thrift-a-holic

Yah, I saw that there are discs. It sounds like I am kinda crap out of luck to actually get the full potential out of this unit. I really am giving this to someone as a gift and can't see myself spending money for a calibration disc at this point. Very frustrating.
  7. Thrift-a-holic

That is good info. Nice to know it is for the Phono. I was able to get that download, but this is not the user manual. Would like directions on how to properly use the function. Maybe someone out here has actual hands on experience with this feature? Thanks!
  8. Thrift-a-holic

I picked up an Onkyo TX-51 today for a friend. It seems to work great, but it has the CX Noise Reduction feature that I do not understand. When the button is pressed to engage this feature you can reach around back and turn these two knobs that correspond to the left and right speaker...
  9. Thrift-a-holic

The bitter Taste of dissapointment...

No, I love my a-700. I was hoping that this machine would perform at least close to that level. The reason I coveted a newer machine was having a built in DAC. It will allow me to steam music from my PC via optical audio cable. Pluse other connectivity benefits like an ipod dock, digital...
  10. Thrift-a-holic

The bitter Taste of dissapointment...

Taste of dissapointment H/K 3490 2.1 Receiver I should have known it was too good to be true. I have for a long while wished that I had a new 2 channel amp that would be comparable to my vintage set-up, and provide me with the benefits of new (digital inputs, remote, sub out, etc). I can't...
  11. Thrift-a-holic

Popping Noise when turning on Vintage Receivers

The model I have is the sx-850.
  12. Thrift-a-holic

Popping Noise when turning on Vintage Receivers

I have a vintage Pioneer receiver. It works very well to the best of my ability to tell. However it does make that popping sound when you first turn it on. Then if you turn it back off and back on again, the sound is not there. I assume becuase the unit has "warmed up". I am not really...
  13. Thrift-a-holic

Looking for help tracking down a speaker Model #

This is the only pic I can find of them. You can see though the gills they look to have white coned woofers. Again, I know these are not top quality, but would like to be able to look for info on them online as I think they will be fine for my purposes.
  14. Thrift-a-holic

Looking for help tracking down a speaker Model #

There is a pair of speakers on a website for sale that I am thinking of buying for a budget two channel system for a friend. I have been trying to get the model number from the guy, but for some reason he is having trouble. I know that they have a model number becuase I have seen a set of them...
  15. Thrift-a-holic

Mach's rule the mancave

Seems like some folks are not taking too kindly to your glowing review of the Mach 1's. I am a fan of the vintage RS speaker line in general, and would love to get my hands on some 1's one day. It always comes down to taste. For example, there is not a klipsch speaker in the world that I...
  16. Thrift-a-holic

Jensen JP-1200 any good?

Weather something is good is a matter of taste. However, conventional wisdom would say, no, these are not that desirable. They look like they could get loud though. Probably make good "Party"/Garage speakers.
  17. Thrift-a-holic

Looking for info on Dual

I have seen a few models at sales, and have never bought one becuase I have no idea which models are considered "desirable". Where can I go for info on a quick eduacation on which models to look for?
  18. Thrift-a-holic

Forte's are out - HPM-100s are in...

Damn, I'd like me some HPM's. Will I ever find a pair for a reasonable price?
  19. Thrift-a-holic

DLK 1 1/2s in the house!

Love them. I have both the 8ohm and 4ohm versions. At least on my amps, the 8's sound better but both are great. I think he will love them. My DLK 3's are my favorite, and I have had a lot of speakers come through.
  20. Thrift-a-holic

Speaker ID help!

Make sure to report back. If you get them maybe some additional pics for us. I saw this ad too and was tempted to send an email for more info. Then I looked around and noticed I am surrounded by speakers:o) The look really neat, and well built. It bugs me when people post stuff and are to...
  21. Thrift-a-holic

Yamaha AX-700u Intagrated Pre-Amp Problem

My favorite part of this experience was when a second employee came over and suggested I was not getting sound becuase we had the CD player plugged into the tuner in-put. He was so confident, that I had to let him try hooking the CD player to the CD input.
  22. Thrift-a-holic

Yamaha AX-700u Intagrated Pre-Amp Problem

There a shop near me that has one of these for sale. Priced at 200 bucks, I was able to convience them to take 100.00. I was really pleased to leave with that 100ish watts per channel Amp for that price. Went to test it and, UH OH Spaghetti O's, we have a problem. The only way it would...
  23. Thrift-a-holic

Yamaha RX-550 remote?

Looking at picking one of these up and I know that it had a remote when new. Do you think that any programable remote could be made to operate the volume and power?
  24. Thrift-a-holic

I bought them for the really nice walnut veneer cabinets.....

The woofer and tweeters are definatly nice. I couls swear I have seen some Marantz Speakers that look like these, but that is a wild guess. You might have something respectible here.
  25. Thrift-a-holic

Speakerlab 7's

:drool:
Back
Top Bottom