Search results

1. H

Denon DL-110 - is it still worth it?

I'm not sure the conical tip is inherently a problem, as long as it's not so large that it just plows through the groove. The DL-103d has a conical tip and it sounds great. I also have an Autio-Technica AT31E with nude .03x.07 ellyptical tip and they definitely sound different. For the LPs that...
  2. H

Denon DL-110 - is it still worth it?

I found that the DL-110 was a bit of a 'tweener' WRT level- I found the level into Parasound P5 preamp and Sony TA-F500ES integrated amp too hot for the MC input and not quite high enough for MC. To be fair, the Parasound needs more gain in the phono section and after a conversation with Richard...
  3. H

Roberts 770 service manual?

Looking at buying a 770 and would like to have the setup specs- does anyone have a source for a manual? I found one link that shows they have it, so will go that route if I can't find one. Thanks
  4. H

Please help with Eico ST 70 power supply transformer

What brand of tube is reading high? I had an ARS 5AR4/GZ34 that produced B+ above 500VDC @ 121VAC line voltage. Does anyone use a 5U4 in these amps? It would seem that the PT would handle it.
  5. H

Really, really old lap steel amp info?

Re: "convenience features"- that's what I was thinking but the time of the change-over is hard to determine. The RCA manual has Nov 5, 1954 as the date, so that came quite a while after I think this amp was designed. As they were able to combine the cathodes, the top cap went away and I have to...
  6. H

No plug at all and no empty or filled hole in the chassis, either. The wires to the speaker are soldered in place and pass through a grommet to the under-side. I have some cloth-covered wire of about the same color, so I labeled the wires, un-soldered them one at a time and put a wire terminal...
  7. H

The other ones of this cabinet style all have an octal plug for the speaker, which leads me to believe that they decided it was a royal PITA to remove the speaker along with the chassis and since they wouldn't have removed it later, I think it's safe to date this in the '30s. I saw one that was...
  8. H

I didn't plug it in before I bought it- the power cord had about 2" of rubber insulation missing from each wire, right next to the plug. I wasn't gonna risk that but when the seller told me it worked great, I had serious doubts. The bad rectifier proved my doubts, but it wasn't expensive, so the...
  9. H

Greetings! I have an old Oahu lap steel amp that is different from anything I have seen online, or in person. The tubes used are: 80 rectifier 6L6G output tube 6Q7G Dual Diode-Triode 6C8G Twin Triode It has a Rola K8 field coil speaker, two input jacks (designated with a 1 near the first and...
  10. H

American Acoustic Speakers

Have you ever heard of American TV? AAL was their house brand, but they were made in Monroe, WI. Mitek bought the company and it's now part of MTX.
  11. H

Headphones are Dangerous

Koss has included a printed warning about hte potential for hearing damage from excessive volume levels for decades. Unfortunately for them, it appears that Chief Financial Officers are more dangerous.
  12. H

Gave my daughter a Squire Strat for her 16th B'day

Aw, c'mon! EVERYONE needs the 'talent bar'. I have a Strat Plus and only use 2 springs, set tighter at the low end. I also find that it actually stays in tune better than when I had it decked. As you well know, there's no way to get it to tune properly if someone starts on the high end, but...
  13. H

DIY Speaker Selector Switch?

The parts needed as a retail customer is far more than the cost to buy a pre-made unit. You can't make the case, circuit board or buy the controls, switches or terminals for anything close to the price the companies pay in China. Count the number of hands this would pass through from...
  14. H

Gibson Hawk tube amp

P anda Q Jensens were used in many guitar amps, although N were used, too. I have a Danelectro cab from a 1425 amp (that fit into the cab, although I didn't get that with the speaker). IIRC, the R were generally used in PA columns and some mix of the various models were used in organs.
  15. H

What happens when you mix....

Look at the response curves for each and overlay them. Then, average the results and you'll find the result. Or, think of it like playing a Country/Western record backward- you get your dog back, you get your truck back, you get your wife back,.......
  16. H

DVD player for CDs

"A good quality dedicated CD player is going to sound better than a DVD for redbook playback." Why?
  17. H

DVD player for CDs

Since most single disc CD players are no longer made, what makes you think a CD player will be better than a DVD player?
  18. H

Anyone ever......

Buy Now means absolutely nothing- it's the selling price that matters. I could put a $500 BIN price on a BSR turntable but it doesn't mean I'll get it or it's worth that much.
  19. H

ground loop?

How do you turn the plug around with polarized plugs in polarized receptacles?
  20. H

What Was The Best Audio Deal You Ever Made?

One very clean McIntosh model 75 mono tube amp, traded even up for a very nice Conrad Johnson MV45 and $200 credit, which I used for accessories and a Denon 103d cartridge.
  21. H

Sony PS-X6 Help

I would look at the mechanism for dried up lubricant. I would also think about the Denon over the Ortofon, although we sold a lot of that series of TT with Audio Technica cartridges when it was still a current model. Those and Micro Acoustics 2002e, which are long gone.
  22. H

Gonna do a speakercable test, will report results

Did you have the "Ears and beers" yet?
  23. H

Oops, must have been a typo. Yeah, that's it- it was a typo. If it was German, I think it would have had an umlaut over the u.
  24. H

I had the same reaction to my DVD player when I first played it. Since it was for video, I used the cables that were connected to my VCR, which had been removed for service (still haven't put it back in after 3 years) and since I'm much more an audio guy, I played some of my best sounding CDs...
  25. H

Ever considered what will happen to your gear if something happens to you?

I may leave instructions for someone who doesn't understand this stuff to disconnect everything and the person who can reconnect it correctly gets to keep it.
Back
Top Bottom