Search results

1. grundigger

Audiolab 6000CDT

That was my perspective and experience. I was very skeptical of a transport beating out a decent CD player. It was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. I'm 65, so I'm betting I won't buy another drive. Mortality has its benefits? :rolleyes:
  2. grundigger

Kits that supply everything BUT transformers/tubes?

Hmm. Very interesting. Thanks!
  3. grundigger

Good point. I haven't used a template before, but I see now that it's essential. And your method of cutting pieces of paper to simulate the parts' footprint is a good idea. I'll do that. Thanks.
  4. grundigger

I think my "rat's nest" is a result of poor aluminum drilling decisions. That resulted in some cramped wire routing and connections, like terminal strips squeezed into tight or awkward positions. (And I need to buy a half-decent drill press.) All this on a large aluminum plate, so it was...
  5. grundigger

I built a SE EL84 amp that "almost" works, but I've gone crazy trying to pin down the source of some problems, like a dead left channel (which worked in the past) and an overall grounding/hum problem. Now I just want something that works that somebody else has designed correctly. I don't want...
  6. grundigger

Amp Camp Amp - Troubleshooting help.

If you ever feel slightly adventurous, you might try what I did recently, WRT the ACA: make C1 15,000 µF and use IRFP150 Mosfets at Q1 and Q2. A bit more power when using 24 volts (biased at 12V) and very smooth and detailed. I like it better than the F5 I built and the factory F6. Only the...
  7. grundigger

Long live the AK4490 Modi...

First impression of the J2 compared to the BP DAC is that the BP is meatier-sounding, more substantial. But the J2 isn't threadbare or thin, rather there is more space around the instruments, along with a good-sized soundstage. Most important, it's a pleasure to listen to; I can tell I'm not...
  8. grundigger

What tv show are you currently binging?

Thanks. I see Britbox has 37 plays listed. Not bad. That, and the Criterion Channel, should be plenty.
  9. grundigger

Would you spend $2800 on a cartridge ?

That's a good point. There's a standard that I can't bear to sacrifice by listening to inferior quality after being "spoiled" by the magic that I've become accustomed to. And of course what's magic to me is not universal.
  10. grundigger

What tv show are you currently binging?

Where's the best televised/filmed versions of Shakespeare's plays? I liked some of the '70s-'80s BBC stuff, but some of it was a bit tepid. Are there better, more recent, versions?
  11. grundigger

Would you spend $2800 on a cartridge ?

I have an Ortofon 2M Black, a DL-103, and an old Fidelity Research MC201. I'm already at my limit, especially considering how crappy most of the new vinyl is I've bought of late (looking at you, Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You). And I clean my records with a VPI Cyclone, so I do the...
  12. grundigger

Sure thing. I'll be getting the J2 on Monday. I'll be using TOSLINK mainly, but for comparison purposes, I'll use S/PDIF coax so I can compare them straight up. I just finished (re)building my RH84 tube amp, now using the big Edcor OPTs, which I'm really digging right now. From Little Feat...
  13. grundigger

What's a small, cheap office speaker you can recommend?

Those are some unexpected choices! Thanks. I would jump on some reasonably priced Linn Tukans or Kans if they became available. I realized last night that I ought to just swap out the Pioneers for the Sonus faber Chameleon B bookshelves I have in my bedroom. So I'll probably just do that.
  14. grundigger

No I won't. I'll be using both TOSLINK ports. Of course that means I won't be using the Mac mini as a source after all. Instead it will be a Bluesound Node and an Audiolab 6000CDT.
  15. grundigger

I'll be getting the J2 in a couple of weeks. I'll compare it to my Border Patrol SE after a few days, if anyone's interested.
  16. grundigger

What's a small, cheap office speaker you can recommend?

I have a pair of Pioneer BS-21-LRs from way back and they're . . . okay. I want something that sounds better and yet are still pretty cheap. I can DIY okay, especially if the cabinets are pre-cut. I've always wanted to upgrade the Pioneers, but the only mod I can find was for the BS-22, so...
  17. grundigger

Bookshelves in the ceiling?

My brother installed ceiling speakers (not bookshelf) in his living room. Not my preference, but it's okay for background music, and it's certainly more universally decor-friendly. I don't think typical smallish bookshelf speakers will sound their best firing downwards. But I may be wrong . ...
  18. grundigger

Baffling high B+ on RH84 build

And it works. A bit of hum, but the sound is excellent otherwise. I'll be moving some wires around, maybe even re-drill some holes and move some PS caps around too.
  19. grundigger

Alright then, I guess I didn't trust myself enough . . . Thanks!
  20. grundigger

I'm building an RH84 ver. 2 (SE EL84 stereo amp) with the "classic CLC" power supply. My B+, using a GZ34, is . . . 399V, unloaded. Whaaaa? Next I plugged in a 5U4GB and got 381V. Power transformer is an Edcor XPWR007, 550V@200mA, CT. Any obvious errors? Thanks.
  21. grundigger

Ever Had A DAC Go Bad?

I had a Kyocera R-651 that I bought it new in the '80s. I loved that thing. I'm pretty sure it stayed in class A for the first several hundred mWs; the heat sink certainly got quite a bit hotter than other receivers in its price class. Loaned it to my brother and he reported it got destroyed...
  22. grundigger

Ever Had A DAC Go Bad?

A Schiit Modi crapped out for I don't know what reason and the replacement Modi 3 had a totally wonky (cheap POS) switch that I had to bypass by soldering a connection on the PCB. I just needed it to do USB duties. Turns out that it didn't sound any better to me than the stock DAC inside a Mac...
  23. grundigger

Dac for node

I have the newest Bluesound Node streamer and I've listened to it with my Border Patrol DAC and without the BP DAC. You're doing the right thing by holding off, I think. The Node sounds pretty good on its own. I use the BP DAC in another system with an Audiolab transport. BTW, I have been...
  24. grundigger

Is this REW graph okay?

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree. I really have no complaints, as my system is as musical as any I've ever had. Here's a better graph, since it has both channels averaged over three positions at my couch. The first graph only had the R channel. So easy to get bad data with REW if you're not...
  25. grundigger

Is this REW graph okay?

20-20k, VAR smoothed REW plot. Speakers are Omega Super Alnico HO which essentially use a full-range driver. No subwoofer(s). Room is 21 by 24 feet with a cathedral ceiling that goes from 8 feet to about 13 feet. Speakers are on the short side wall, and closer to the left-hand side of the...
Back
Top Bottom