Search results

1. marloubow

New cabs for Paradigm drivers

Hi all! I've recently restored and retrofitted a 1939 GE console with a tube preamp board, NAD amplifier and Voxel sub woofer. I'd like to build a pair of appropriate height tower speakers that would mimic the late 30's look of the console. I have a pair of white Paradigm Titan V.2 that sound...
  2. marloubow

Need A Little Help Getting Tubes Tested In Oklahoma

Sorry gentlemen, I've been laid up with the flu. Yes, investing in a better tester is a viable option. But then I'd miss out on making a connection with a fellow audio enthusiast.
  3. marloubow

Need A Little Help Getting Tubes Tested In Oklahoma

Hi all! Several months back I acquired a good number of preamp tubes and would like to get them tested beyond what my emissions tester can tell me. I have... 60+ 5751's 40+ 5814's 14 12A*7's 16 6X4W's 24 GE 6AQ6's and a few misc. All are of various brands and constructs. I would be...
  4. marloubow

Tips on removing SX-780 grill.

780 at 250 for 30..."pioneer" woman cookbook. Sorry...I couldn't resist :thumbsup:
  5. marloubow

Thanks John...that did the trick. Just needed someone who had gone before. martin
  6. marloubow

Hi all. I've got a SX-780 cabinet that I want to re-cover with a wood veneer. I have removed the old vinyl and prepped the surface, but having a difficult time figuring out how to remove a very securely glued grill. Tried a heat gun...nope. Tried applying lacquer around the edges...nada. I'm...
  7. marloubow

Anybody ever had "White van" speakers they actually enjoyed?

Before I knew what Hi-Fi was, I had a pair of WV "Acoustic Studio Monitors" that sounded good till I opened them up and all that was inside was a lot of air and a single cap on the woofer. Sold them at a pawn shop for $40.00 and ran. Lesson learned. martin
  8. marloubow

I went insane and bought 9 tube Fishers!

The switch may be fixable... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=385645
  9. marloubow

New to Tubes...800c score...help restore.

Didn't intend to bring this thread to the top again, but I've had several request for the cabinet plans link and thought I could just paste a link onto the last post. I guess editing previous post are a thing of the past with this new format...anyhoo. Here is the link...
  10. marloubow

Recapping a Stromberg-Carlson model RS-406 crossover

I'm changing my opinion on these SC 406's. Sorry, I should have been more thorough in my evaluation. I'm a big believer in the synergy between different components, finding the right pre/amp, receiver etc for a given set of speakers. My basement bench gear is a Yamaha C-70 and a Hitachi HMA-7500...
  11. marloubow

Thanks Ken...yep, shame.
  12. marloubow

Hi all. Shortly after my last post, I went ahead and built new plywood cabs in accordance with the dimensions of the original cabs. All I can say is...they look better than they sound. Weak in both high and low freq. I added the retro super tweeter and even swapped out the woofers with some...
  13. marloubow

Cabinet Plans From My 800c

You're welcome...I wish you well in your build.
  14. marloubow

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Darg Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I don't have the original xovers or specs. That's not far off what I was thinking, leaning closer to 4000Hz. Martin
  15. marloubow

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Should I try and crossover the woofer and horn in a 2 way, say around 3000hz? Or a 3 way? Either way do you suppose the 3rd woofer with a dedicated plate amp could help the bottom end as well? Thanks Martin
  16. marloubow

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I have some Celestion PA drivers that I acquired through my nephew. After reading about half of this thread, I am intrigued. Are PA's worthy considerations for OB's, these in particular? I have 3 - 15" 4 - 6" 2 - Horns The specs are direct from Celestion's tech dept. Thanks...
  17. marloubow

What can I do with these Celestions?

Thanks Ivan. I contacted Celestion and they happily shared their specs. Here they are. Hope it helps. Martin
  18. marloubow

What can I do with these Celestions?

Hi all. My nephew who works big stage event sound gave me these Celestions. Are they a candidate for a home speaker build? There are, 3 - 15" 4 - 6" (actually 6 7/8") 2 - 3 1/2 x 8 horns All are roughly 6 ohm Any thoughts are appreciated. Martin
  19. marloubow

Thanks Ken I can certainly postpone this project till you complete further testing on your end. One thing I don't lack is projects. Please feel free to PM me with any findings you come up with. Thanks Martin
  20. marloubow

To continue... First of all, to you guys who have a real handle on speakers...from xover design to cab modeling to driver parameters...I salute you! Getting down to the particulars of this stuff makes my head hurt. Anyway, I recapped the crossovers with the exception of the "bath tub cap"...
  21. marloubow

Thanks for the input. I've had some good success with voight pipes and some tapered pipes designed by David Weems as well. martin
  22. marloubow

Seeing how we're on the subject of cap values and the apparent low output of this woofer. I have a few questions. Mind you these are questions that I've considered before, but never asked, not wanting to look any more noob than I already am. 1) Say, just for grins, I wanted to increase...
  23. marloubow

By the by...would anybody want to venture an "educated" guess at the value of the unidentified cap?
  24. marloubow

Well...okay then, I guess its off to "experiment land". I think I'll move the xover to the exterior of the cabs, replace the known caps and experiment with the rest. Measure what I can and use the "ear test" for the rest. At least I now have a jumping off point. martin
  25. marloubow

Wow...that was informative. A lot of it over my head, but informative. I had unwrapped the coil/cap(?) as well. I see now that it says "foil", not "coil" or "oil" which made me think capacitor. So what did you end up doing Ken? Here are some better shots of the layout. I have a pair...
Back
Top Bottom