Search results

1. B

McIntosh 12AX7A out of stock!

Today I received 3 x Jan-Philips 5751 tubes and 4 x Jan-Philips 12AT7WC tubes, so I plugged all of them in my MC275 together with 4 x Gold Lion KT88 (reissue). This combination is more transparent, less 'warm' and have tighter/punchier bass than the combination with all McIntosh stock tubes...
  2. B

Jdandy, thanks! I've ordered 3 Philips 5751 and 4 Philips 12AT7WC from tubedepot.com, it has even better price than thetubestore.com, and 2-day shipping only cost $3.95 :thmbsp::thmbsp:
  3. B

Thanks Jdandy for the headup! One more question, what about this one - "Black Sable Jan Philips 5751"?? http://store.tubedepot.com/bsct-5751-janphilips.html Any good?
  4. B

Hi Jdandy, Seems to me that Philips 12AT7WA is tough to find, is 12AT7WC the same thing http://thetubestore.com/12at7.html ?? Thanks
  5. B

Fast blow or slow blow fuse?

Thank jdandy..you're my hero..
  6. B

Ok...My Ganelex Gold Lions KT88 arrived today, so did the Mullard 12AX7 Reissue. The Gold Lions KT88 is quieter and more 'transparent' than the McIntosh stock KT88, without sounding too harsh or bright - I like it :banana: The Mullard 12AX7, on the other hand, sounded a little too 'bright'...
  7. B

Fast blow or slow blow fuse?

First I have to thank you guys for sharing your knowledge. I initially came to this forum to ask about the possibility of converting my two MC275's voltage from 120V to 240V. Lots of members chipped in and told me that it's an easy thing to do - all I need to do is to switch a few tabs on the...
  8. B

Hi Jdandy, According to the description, this JAN-Philips 5751 has only 70% of the gain of a 12AX7, so does it means it will put out less volume than the McIntosh 12AX7A? Thanks
  9. B

Hi Jdandy, Right now I'm using all McIntosh stock tubes, but I have also ordered Genalex Gold Lion KT88 tube (reissue). The Philips 5751 you talked about, is this this one? http://thetubestore.com/sylvania5751.html Thanks
  10. B

I was going to use the tubes on mc275. But now that they're out of stock, I just ordered 3 Mullard 12AX7 reissue to try out. But damned oh damned, my impression from reading several forums seemed to suggest that the Tung-Sol 12AX7 is brighter than the Mullard, but now Jdandy is telling me...
  11. B

I tried calling Mac to get a few spare tubes but the parts department told me that they're on backorder.:drool: Does anyone know the 'exact' identify of the stock tube? It's labelled 'McIntosh 12AX7A, Made in China". Does it appears in a different label on the market? Thanks.
  12. B

mc275 break in?

The NOS Mullards are kind of expensive. I hate to spend that kind of money just to try out and then find out that I don't like them. What about the new Mullards (reissue)?? Are they as good as the NOS?
  13. B

mc275 break in?

Ok..Thanks guys. We swapped out the one "12AX7EH, Electro-Harmonix, made in Rusia", and replace with "12AX7A, McIntosh USA, made in China", and indeed, the sound changed! Now my buddy is getting more bass. I was searching for 'tube-rolling' experience on this board, apparently many are happy...
  14. B

mc275 break in?

All tubes are the same except 1 tube - for the 12AX7A. The 'leaner' unit comes with a "12AX7EH, Electro-Harmonix, made in Rusia". The other two 12AX7A are all labelled "12AX7A, McIntosh USA, made in China". The "warmer" unit only has "12AX7A, McIntosh USA, made in China". All other...
  15. B

mc275 break in?

yeah.. same series, version V.. same condition... both look brand new
  16. B

mc275 break in?

I have never experienced 'break-in' before. But recently I convinced a friend of mine to purchase two units of mc275, and we found out that one unit sounded a little 'leaner' or 'colder' than the other one. We suspect one unit has been 'broken-in' while the 'leaner' sounding unit is brand...
  17. B

How do you open up an MC275?

wow.. dj_AmTrax, where can I find this gold logo??
  18. B

I'm trying to switch the wiring on the transformer so I can use it in 240V country.:D
  19. B

Good Lord! So you mean I have to open the damned thing from the bottom???:scratch2::yikes: Thanks.
  20. B

All, I can't seem to find the screws to open up the top black cover (or lid) of the power transformer, can someone please kindly tell me how? Thanks
  21. B

MC275 in mono

All, I saw this post on audiogon and I thought it will be a very interesting comparison. But I will not have time to try it myself because I'm too busy moving. I wonder if anyone has done the comparison? I copy and paste the entire post here...
  22. B

MC275 transformer re-wiring to 240V?

Hi Wolfcub, thank you so much for the headup!:thmbsp: I will call McIntosh tomorrow to see if I can get the latest schematic. I found plenty of MC275 schematic online, like this below: http://www.drtube.com/schematics/mcintosh/mc275.gif However, from what your description, I guess...
  23. B

Hi Julian, thanks for the suggestion. My main concern with step-down transformers is that they 'hum'! Although I'm not sure how transformer 'hum' would affect the sound quality.
  24. B

Hi LewinskiH01, Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I'm glad that you still enjoying your MAC all this while! Which version of the MC275 are you using?? (time to upgrade??!):D:D:D
  25. B

All, I am a long time McIntosh fan living in Texas, I've been using their products for over 20 years. I am not an internet geek and I only found this forum yesterday. I recently scored a job in the Far South East Asia - a country named Malaysia. I would like to bring two of my MC275...
Back
Top Bottom