Search results

1. doucanoe

Neck Re-set. Anybody ever give it a go?

I've got an old Kay archtop that could benefit from a good neck re-set. I have been using it for slide but it would be nice to have it set up properly. I assume that applying a fair amount of steam would allow me to get the neck free but I'm concerned about the neck binding and inlays. Any...
  2. doucanoe

That's not a Toroidal Transformer...

That's a Toroidal transformer! I finally got up enough motivation along with enough time to pull my urgly Powervar out for a facelift paint job. This thing is a real seed buster so I never relish the notion of moving it around much. I had never popped the hood on it either before...
  3. doucanoe

Any ideas?

I picked up a couple of old 16mm projector cabs and a pair of mystery 10" whizzer cone speakers. No EIA code stamps that I can find. They do say HiFi on the motors, so they have that going for them ;) Anybody recognize them? RC
  4. doucanoe

Happy Birthday, AndyB!

Looks like you finally caught up with me. Happy Birthday, Andy! RC
  5. doucanoe

Silly big 2x15 cab project. Opinions?

I picked up a very nice @6 cu-ft furniture quality cab from an old timer around here a while back. He had purchased it way back when after it was recommended by some of his audio oriented acquaintances when he was putting together a mono system for the home. I didn't open it when I picked it...
  6. doucanoe

3-string CBG build#2

I've been working on this one off and on for quite some time now. Finally got it done. Redwood stationary box, Hickory neck with Maple fret board. The pickup (flatpup) on this one is a custom hand wound humbucker number from a cat in Austria named Elmar Zeilhofer. Sounds very good...
  7. doucanoe

Squeezebox streaming at 128kbps

I owned one of the original Squeezebox devices and ran it in a secondary set-up. It was mostly used for audio streaming and found it pleasantly listenable even considering the limitations of the format. At some point afterward, I had a laptop meltdown and ended up sending the Squeezebox down the...
  8. doucanoe

New tuber at casa doucanoe from the talented and creative, jaymanaa

I have been in the process of "working" with friend and AK'er jaymanaa on plans and component selections for a new pair of tube monos sometime in the future. I use the term working with lightly because my role has been more of a definer of desires than actually sorting out the gory details ;)...
  9. doucanoe

Drum pedal question.

I just picked up a old Tama drum pedal and was wondering if any of you drummer mugs out there had an thought on this. It's a chain drive pedal and works fine and dandy but a little mechanically "clanky" when the pedal is depressed. Not being a drum guy myself, I have no idea if this is normal...
  10. doucanoe

Weekend travels finds.

Just got back last night from nice little 3 day vacation traveling the Mississippi River Valley south of us. Just wanted to share one of the gems we found along the way. That's right. Its a Conway Twitty / Chicken salt and pepper shaker. Jealous? RC
  11. doucanoe

Hammond AO-35 reverb amp and Gibbs reverb tank

I have this Hammond AO-35 reverb amp the the Gibbs reverb tank that was in the organ. I've been going over the hookup info. and schematic. It appears that many have converted these to guitar amps (ala Dr. Z Carmen Ghia) but I would really like to just use it for reverb effects as intended to...
  12. doucanoe

New mid-horns to play with.

I've been toting these around in the back seat of my Maxima for over an month now. I have the weekend off and the whole day to myself, so I figured that it was as good a time as any to haul these heavyweights in so I could check them out. The Altec tar filled 1005 is one of those horns that...
  13. doucanoe

bobabode delivers!

I was fortunate enough to win bobabode's auction for a pair of RCA 6L6 ST's. He generously offered up this pair as part one of the many AK helping VOA Families for Christmas auctions. They arrived in speedy fashion with very well thought out and solid packaging and of course, as with all top...
  14. doucanoe

Hey Rex Everything, get a load of this!

Back story: I got my Stromberg Carlson Signet 33 back from a friend and guitar amp resto and mod guy about a week back. After the week had come and gone, I still had not had time to get going on the speaker cab(s) for a Eminence 12" Cannabis Rex I picked up and a Jensen 10" C10R Paul (Rex...
  15. doucanoe

Anybody here well versed in ID'ing a original from counterfeit Red Apple Beatles LP?

Hey Beatle LP experts! I have a nice clean pressing of The Beatles ~ Let It Be, but am trying to determine whether this one's an original or counterfeit. This one has a 1.75" indent and both Phil and Ronnie along with Bell Sound in the dead wax but not sure beyond that. Any ideas?? RC
  16. doucanoe

byoungman1 hooks me up!

I purchased a cool old Kay Model K-504 amp combo from Bryce a week or so back. The amp arrived yesterday (as described), hooked up and got to playing. Sounds great! Smooth transaction all the way around and I couldn't be more pleased. It even looks like a match made in heaven with my geetar...
  17. doucanoe

So ya wanna build yourself a Stomp Box?

WARNING: The following build provides vivid description and shows images of the re-purposing of a old wood tool box which may be disturbing to some readers. Proceed at your own risk. No small furry animals or children were harmed in the process or the making of this thread. Stomp Box (Wiki...
  18. doucanoe

Wiring this bass pickup with tone and volume pots?

I have this Guild pickup (see pics) and am not sure how to wire it properly into tone and volume pots. I have looked through the wiring schematics over on the Seymore Duncan site but don't see one that is similar to the one I have. I've got a black and red lead wire from one side on the one...
  19. doucanoe

Newcomb M-9 tube amp combo

I have that nifty as all heck Kay 504 coming in from byoungman1 but couldn't help myself from picking this up Friday. It's a Newcomb M-9 Aux. speaker/amp that was originally intended for a film projector or something like that. It's got a single EL84, 6AV6 and a 6X4 for a rectifier with...
  20. doucanoe

Celt!

Just thought that I would mention my last purchase here on AK from Celt (Dan). Dan knew I had been shopping around here for particular drivers to use in small guitar amp combo projects and had something he had built that he thought may fit the profile nicely. He contacted me with the particulars...
  21. doucanoe

My first scratch built CBG.

I've been planning acquiring what I need for my first from the ground up CBG. With Dennydog generously offering up the aluminum bar stock for my fretboard I almost have all that I need now and should be able to start work on it soon. It's going to have a 2 piece neck with Al. fretboard, Flatpup...
  22. doucanoe

Crate G40C amp problem question

Hey, a friend of mine has a Crate G40C and is having a bit of a odd (to me anyway) problem with it. He asked me if I had any ideas as to what could be creating this issue. I let him know that I probably wasn't the best guy to be asking but I would post here and see if any guitar amp mugs may...
  23. doucanoe

Note to self...

If you internally wire one full range driver reverse polarity to the other, no amount of uniform reversal of polarity at the terminals will make the pair sound less than odd. Also, a new eye glass prescription may be worth looking into. RC
  24. doucanoe

audiodon made my day!

A couple of weeks back, I spied audiodon's ad in Barter Town for Esperanza Spalding's latest release and was fortunate enough to be able to grab it from him. It arrived about a week back, exactly as described and very well packaged. I haven't had time to listen to it until yesterday but it...
  25. doucanoe

R.L. Burnside - Get your blues on.

I've been back on a blues kick lately. Among many others, I've been listening to a lot of my old R.L. Burnside stuff and really forgot how much I liked his style of Mississippi Delta Blues. He was a amazing talent that really never got the overall recognition he deserved. I'm sure some of you...
Back
Top Bottom