Search results

1. boreas

AK's 20th Anniversary Giveaway thread! (Updated daily)

Thank you, Mr. & Ms. Grumpy, LuvvinVinyl and AK!
  2. boreas

Mystery Denon turntable

DP-15F perhaps? Denon turntables typically have a "DP" prefix. The SL prefix is usually found on Technics turntables. The DP_15F is, however, a direct drive turntable so doesn't require a belt. Photos of both the turntable and cartridge would be helpful...
  3. boreas

Pickering catridge

The cartridge is an NP-AC, one of the many permutations of the V-15. It's identical to the Stanton 500 cartridge and, although the Stanton and Pickering styli are different in appearance, they are freely interchangeable. Mostly due to the styli available for it, it wouldn't be as good as the AT.
  4. boreas

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

I always assumed that they reflect the change in mounting angle from 15 to 20 degrees. If true, that would make the short clips the early type and the tall ones for the later ones.
  5. boreas

Decent turntable for a young woman who isn't very audio minded.

The Denon DP-300F and Marantz TT42P are both fully automatic. There may be others.
  6. boreas

That's a question only you can answer.
  7. boreas

It's the same as an Azden YM-10C. I have one and find it surprisingly good. There is a pretty nice upgrade elliptical stylus for it. Available here.
  8. boreas

Needle Doctor Closed..

I just tried to call ND. After about 8 rings, the call went to voicemail where the message was that the mailbox was full. So it looks like they are indeed closed but, as mentioned, the website is still live.
  9. boreas

There are two Dutch vendors with very similar names. There's Pickupnaald.NL and there's also Pickupnaalden.com. There is no connection between these two beyond the fact that they're in the same business. I have no experience with the former but have done a bit of business with...
  10. boreas

Thanks for the hard work and welcome to AK and The Big Thread.
  11. boreas

Yes, it does.
  12. boreas

WD-40
  13. boreas

Technics SL-5200 tonearm counterweight help

Try installing the counterweight backward. It should work but you'll then need to adjust the tracking force with a scale.
  14. boreas

Quelle horreur! Fortunately, I have a spare.
  15. boreas

Pioneer PL-400 Playback fine, strobe a blur

Try readjusting the speed pots using a strobe disc. There are free downloads at the VinylEngine. Adjusting the speed by ear never works.well. Also, there are free apps for iPhone and Android. You could try one of those.
  16. boreas

Technics 1600MK2 size selector driving me mad

By any chance, is the 7" 45 you're using a colored disc? On most colored discs, and even some black ones, enough light can leak through from the LED that the sensor can read it as no disc. Pioneer was aware of this and included a circular piece of opaque black paper with the MK2. By placing...
  17. boreas

Yes, you are.
  18. boreas

New Walnut Veneer on PL-530

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/dewaxed-shellac
  19. boreas

RPM App?

A strobe disc works as well as anything else and you don't have any gyro issues or other electronic headaches to worry about.
  20. boreas

New Walnut Veneer on PL-530

As has been mentioned, the Pledge Restoring Oil was a poor choice. It is, after all, for restoring a finish, not providing one. So, I would certainly remove as much as possible with mineral spirits. I would probably have added a few additional finishing methods but at this point it would...
  21. boreas

Empire Cartridge info

It appears to be a clone of the Empire Rex 66E/X. If you can, measure the resistance of the coils and report back.
  22. boreas

Empire Cartridge Questions

I'll try again. The cartridge is a 66QE/X. Sheesh! Bad brain day. Corrected above. The Empire number for the stylus is S912E and the aftermarket Pfanstiehl number is 239-PDE. I have to go lie down now.
  23. boreas

Yes, that looks right. Only trouble is I gave you the wrong number for the stylus. I should have said 999QE/X. I've corrected the post. Sorry if my mistake has sent you down the wrong rabbit hole.
  24. boreas

Welcome to AK! Empires are often hard to identify for several reasons. First among them is the fact that they made a ton of private label versions for every type of customer from turntable manufacturers (Marantz) to department store chains (E.J. Korvette's) to record store chains. We can...
  25. boreas

Acutex LPM stylus availability

Sadly, no and at this point I doubt anyone will. Welcome to AudioKarma!
Back
Top Bottom