Search results

1. N

building speakers into cabinet/bookshelf/"built-in"

I am considering installing built in bookshelves into my living room where my stereo currently resides. I currently use Klipsch KG4 speakers and I love them. Has anyone ever seen speakers literally built into a permanent cabinet? Is this a bad idea? I envision using parts from my current...
  2. N

New amp for my Klipsch KG4?

Can you recommend a new budget amp for my Klipsch KG4? I am going to use them in a home theater setting, but I am cool with 2ch or AV receiver, as long as it sounds nice! I haven't decided whether I want to get different speakers for my Jolida or sell it. Setup will be moving to the basement...
  3. N

Considering trading my amp

So, I have a Jolida 202A tube amp. It sounds great, but I don't use it as much as I feel a living-room-located amp should be used. I think this is because it needs to be warmed up, the tubes scare me a little with kids around, and it's got some quirks that bother me. Are there retailers that...
  4. N

KG4s center of speakers have "wrinkles"

I don't know all the speaker terminology so forgive me. The center circle of my speakers have wrinkles in them (it's a dome about 2" in diameter). All 4 of the woofers (right term?) have this. Or I guess they are just pushed in some, so they are "wavy". Is this a symptom of something or did they...
  5. N

Bob Crites on break-in periods

This was a breath of fresh air for me. I was looking into what a crossover recap would be @ Bob Crites. I think I like this guy. http://www.critesspeakers.com/frequently-asked-questions.html
  6. N

What's your latest audio purchase?

Post your latest audio purchase! I just received and assembled new speaker cables! BJC Ten (Belden) with BFA style bananas. :banana: What a difference. My old ones were just "there" and I hadn't gotten around to getting nice ones (I'm ashamed to admit they were from the 70's and 22AWG, uh...
  7. N

New TT base?

I want to make a new walnut base for my Dual, like this one. Mine is plastic and much larger. What could I do for a dust cover? It doesn't seem like a good idea to go without...
  8. N

Spades or Bananas

Is this totally personal preference, or do some people say one is better than the other?
  9. N

Ideas for re-casing?

I'd like to re-face my amp with walnut, and I am all but sold on the MF V-LPS and V-DAC, but they are so ugly. Is it silly to re-case stuff? Has anyone done this sort of thing?
  10. N

A tale of two Jolida's?

Any idea what the deal is here? Weird... mine is from the guys in Maryland. Maryland - http://www.jolida.com/ vs. China - http://www.jolida.net/
  11. N

Re-reripping CDs, go with ALAC or WAV?

I'm re-ripping all of my CDs. I have never had a decent way of listening to them before, or space to store the files, so I've always used MP3 or AAC for convenience. Should I go with ALAC or WAV. I'm using iTunes, so I think those are my options.
  12. N

Recommend HT speakers

Hi all, I just got a Samsung 5005 LED TV and want to start thinking about what kind of speakers to run. - don't care much about surround sound - TV will be less than 3" from wall, so low profile would be nice? - behind the TV is under the staircase, I have access to the back of the wall...
  13. N

ProMedia 4.1 died...

I know these speakers are nothing special, but they are fantastic for my computer at work. I went to turn them on today and nothing happened. Any ideas on where to look for the problem?
  14. N

Replacing/upgrading volume pot

I have a 1 year old Jolida that has had a "scratchy" volume knob since I got it. The manufacturer says that it's just dust getting in there, and there's nothing they could do about it. Would this be a pretty easy DIY to swap in a new one? What should I switch to - to make sure that the new...
  15. N

Where to start, digital piano?

Any recommendations for buying a digital piano? We're thinking of putting our son (he's only 3 now, but he's growing up fast) into lessons, and I've always wanted a piano. I know we'd want the keys to feel as real as possible, and of course it need to sound good. Looks don't matter much. It...
  16. N

Help for a Friend

Receiver and Speakers, $600 5.1 Surround Sound What can be had for that? What brands should we look at?
  17. N

Bluetooth transfer

Anyone used anything like this? I just saw it advertised, curious: http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Bluetooth-Interface-Devices/Bluetooth-Audio-Receivers/Xantech/BDX-TT.xhtml&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nov02news
  18. N

Old radio console, looking for info

My father in law grabbed this from his dad's old barn hoping to modernize it. I'd like to help him out. There are no electronics left. He doesn't care to put tubes into it, but he wants to know if he can retrofit a newer radio that looks sort of similar to what might have been there originally...
  19. N

Super minimalist car receiver?

Does anyone know if an attractive car receiver exists? I have an aftermarket one that came in the car I just bought. They all look like they are from the Fast and Furious movie! I'd love something super minimalist: an all black face with a volume knob and an LCD for the radio station on it. I...
  20. N

50's TV Set

Anyone have one I could rent in Minneapolis? If I found one on CL non-working, I'm guessing they are a bear to fix?
  21. N

A faint hum.

Reading a thread about stopping transformer hum has me thinking. Sure sure, maybe it's because I bought a "cheap" amp. The right side under the transformer cover hums a bit. I put a screwdriver up to the covers and my ear to the screwdriver to determine which one was humming. I assumed it was...
  22. N

Jolida Owner's Thread

I can't find any other collection places for Jolida owners out there, so maybe here we can have our own thread. Post pics if you have them, and list any mods/tubes! All I have right now is this crappy picture: 202A, stock (2010 with JJ EL34s) Could a mod fix the apostrophe in the title...
  23. N

DIY Synth - "Weird Sound Generator"

Not normally the scope of this forum, but I came across this and I think it would be fun: http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/YOUR_FIRST_SYNTH/WSG_Reborn/WEIRDSOUNDGENERATORREBORN.php?page=WSG The "Weird Sound Generator". You can get a kit of PCB. They have another DIY synth too, this...
  24. N

Instrumental Music Recommendations...

I have really been loving music with no words lately. Any recommendations? My tastes are fairly wide. Bonus if I can get it on vinyl for cheap. Random examples of mostly non-vocal stuff I already listen to: Duke Ellington - The Pianist Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions Herb Alpert -...
  25. N

Old Radio, Detrola 571

What would it cost approximately to restore something like this? http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~srs/Antiques/Radios/templ.php?pid=76&collection=Radios What parts need to be replaced?
Back
Top Bottom