Search results

1. toddalin

Can You Resolve What Is Being Said???

Can you resolve what is being said at 4:06 ---> (probably on vocorder) in The Last Resort on Hotel California??? I don't think you'll find it in any lyrics sheets. If so, I'm impressed!
  2. toddalin

Won't See These Every Day...

A pair of Hartsfield cabinets less components! Note the detail work on the fronts. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/d/los-angeles-jbl-hardfield-cabinet/7705271851.html
  3. toddalin

Speaker Voicing, Would You Prefer/Voice the Speakers to be "Flat" at the Speaker, or in the Sweet Spot?

Like the title asks. If you could adjust your speaker voicing through physical means, (with no electronics involved to screw with things such as imaging), would you set them to be flat at the speakers or at the sweet spot and why? If to be flat at the sweet spot, how far would you go from flat...
  4. toddalin

Mundorf EVO Oils vs Audyn Q4s on the Heil AMT

I ordered a pair of Mundorf EVO Oils ($17.50 each) to replace the Audyn Q4s ($4.84/each) on the Great Heil AMTs. I intend to do an A/B comparison and am wondering what I should expect. Opinions before I post? ;) https://www.intertechnik.com/shop/capacitors/audyn-cap-q4/583193,en,279...
  5. toddalin

Too Cool Not to Show!

I'm sure these rock with the best of them and you just don't see them looking this elegant at any price. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/d/long-beach-speakers-super-urei-811a/7686187550.html
  6. toddalin

Voltage Knock-Down for Vintage Marantz?

The switch on my power strip went out the other day and I want to replace the strip with a surge protector/possible conditioner. While I am at it, I was wondering if I should knock-down the line voltage a hair to protect the equipment (Marantz 1180DC, two Marantz 170DC amps, Marantz scope tuner...
  7. toddalin

I'm Fixing a Hole/Heil...

In the immortal words of The Firesign Theater, "And to think, all I had to do was to put the balls on the other side!" The following shows the typical nearfield response for the Great Heil. Actually, the differences in the various Heil plots are, at least in part, as to how far the microphone...
  8. toddalin

Internet Explorer - How Do You Get Rid Of It?

Now that Internet Explorer is formally no longer supported, and hasn't been used in years, I tried to remove it from my computer. However, it does not show up in the add/remove programs utility and if you try to go in and physically delete the directory and/or files, it says that you need...
  9. toddalin

3D Printing Gives Your Heil Wiiiings!

In the past I had extended the flairs of my Heils using 1.25", 60 degree foam triangles cut to size and painted. I found that this raises the Heils response at ~3kHz by about 0.3 dB flattening a rising response just a bit. But the curvature was not consistent with the Heil, and with the advent...
  10. toddalin

Maximum Safe Impedience for a Tube Amp?

Some (most?) tube amps don't like to operate with no output load on them and some may even self-destruct. If one wanted to put a load resistor across the speaker terminals, what would be the maximum SAFE load for most tube amps, including vintage units, that would keep it from destruction? The...
  11. toddalin

Extreme Imaging!!!

My dog, a newly acquired rescue, is very sensitive to noises and it was suggested that I get a CD to try to calm her down. I thought that the disk was supposed to desensitize the dog, but it is just various selections of classical music played on piano. The piano is not of the highest quality...
  12. toddalin

Shouldn't There Be a Benefit In Shielding the Positive Speaker Cable?

First consider that one would never consider running their line-level cables unshielded. One could argue that the voltages on the speaker level cables are so much greater than those on the line-level. But is that really the case? Let's look at an efficient pair of speakers (95 dB at 1 watt)...
  13. toddalin

Why Do We Loose High Frequencies as We Get Older? One Possible Explanation.

Yesterday I was in the pool and I got water in my ears. When I cleaned out my ears with a Q-tip, I experienced a significant hearing loss in the right ear, almost to the point of deafness. I have an appt with emergency care today. I've been noticing for the last few years that the HF in the...
  14. toddalin

AAARRGG! The Power Switch Went Out on My Crown PSA-2XH!

... and I rarely even use it. Typically, the amp is left on and just comes on with the "auto-on" that powers up the system built into the surge protector when the receiver is turned on. But for the last several months it has been powered off via its power switch. The other day I turned it on...
  15. toddalin

Oppo95 Drawer Close/Play Glitch

On my Oppo95 when I load a CD, sometimes I can open the drawer, put the CD on the tray, and press "play" and the drawer will close, the unit will go throught its "catalog" and start to play. But other times pressing "play" has no response and I must press "close" and wait for the drawer to...
  16. toddalin

Tube vs Solid State Shoot-Out

A local member on the forum asked that I do a tube amp vs solid state comparison using Right on for the Darkness (Vanessa Fernandez, SACD) on both the tube amp and solid state amp. This is an SACD played on an Oppo95. The stereo direct RCA plugs (Canare 18 gauge) feed the "Pure Direct" on a...
  17. toddalin

Anybody Else Watch Jeopardy Tonight??? They Reference My Speakers!

All three contestants, including Any Schneider, missed Final Jeopardy this evening..., but I got it right and they even referenced the origin of my my speakers! (BTW, the highlight of my day is getting final Jeopardy and having some/all of the contestants miss it.) Watch from 17:00 and hear a...
  18. toddalin

How Many Hours Are On That...?

I was listening to my tube amp trying to figure about how many hours are now on the tubes and thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a device that could track how many hours something is on without having to plug that something into it? It would be nice to have such a device, with multiple...
  19. toddalin

Guidelines for Equipment Comparisons

One of the forum members has asked that I make a specific recording for the tube/solid state comparison using the Melton KT-88 (P/P KT-88s) and Yamaha RX-Z9 doing Right On For The Darkness by Vanessa Fernandez in SACD. I think that to do this right will take ~4+ hours, though I don't need to...
  20. toddalin

Could You Tell a Tube Integrated from a Solid State Receiver (in a Video) If All Else Were Equal?

As the title asks. This is Stevie Ray Vaughn's Tin Pan Alley played through both a Yamaha RX-Z9 Receiver and Melton KT-88 Tube Integrated. The Yamaha has a rated power of 170 WPC into 6 ohms (540 WPC dynamic power into 2 ohms) and the Melton is rated at 80 WPC. The speakers are ~6 ohm. The...
  21. toddalin

Someone's Going to Score

A nice looking L212 for just $850! https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/d/fountain-valley-jbl-212-speaker-set/7428939401.html
  22. toddalin

Massive Hum When Feeding Tube Amp from Entertainment Center Equipment

I rewired my living room with a dedicated, 8-gauge wire, a 20-amp breaker, 30-amp locking recepticle for my surge protector/power strip, and two hospital grade 20-amp wall outlets located about 18 inches away. The hot and neutral leads go from the breaker to the 30-amp recepticle then jump to...
  23. toddalin

House Wiring Does Make a Difference!

I just finished rewiring the audio/visual system onto it's own breaker with a continuous run of dedicated 8-gauge wire run from the electrial panel closest to the street (we have two panels). This gets it off of the old 15 amp breaker with old wiring from the old panel that is shared with much...
  24. toddalin

Melton Audio

I picked up a Melton Audio MKT-88 yesterday. I bought it new from ebay and the distributor is local so I picked it up myself yesterday. The unit was very well packed in a shipping box with oversized foam inserts. The tubes were in their own box included within. The distributor said I get a 1...
Back
Top Bottom