Search results

1. Big Bill

Any turntable techs in the Omaha area?

Got a call today from a man in Omaha looking for service on his PL-570. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it!
  2. Big Bill

Who repairs late 70's amplifiers anymore?

I'm a turntable repairman. I'm good at it and have a passion for it. The truth of the matter is that I don't mess with solid state amps for customers anymore. I've don't have the expertise or desire to do so. I've burned myself time/labor wise to many times in the past. I only agreed to look at...
  3. Big Bill

Beware!! :thumbsdn:
  4. Big Bill

Don't go there..... I wouldn't take anything of mine or anyone else’s to this outfit for repair. I've had to repair several turntables that this man has butchered. The worst case was a Dual turntable he "worked on" for a local man here in Charlotte. The man brought the Dual to me after...
  5. Big Bill

Hello quaddriver, The Sony is experiencing trouble in the left channel of the amplifier board. I hooked up my signal generator and oscilloscope and saw the bottom half of the wave is slightly distorted and over all output is about half the strength of the right channel. Its not an overly...
  6. Big Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for someone here on AK that still did repair work though.....
  7. Big Bill

Hey guys, anyone know someone who'd be willing to repair a Sony hp-180 all in one with left channel amplifier section issues? Thanks in advance, Bill! :thmbsp:
  8. Big Bill

PL-630 restoration thread?

Love ya chicks!! :thmbsp:
  9. Big Bill

PL-630 restoration thread?

Any one have a link to the old Pioneer PL-630 restoration thread? I cant find it.....:scratch2:
  10. Big Bill

FixmyDual question

I don't think this thread belongs here, it should be in the feedback forum if I'm not mistaken.
  11. Big Bill

Anyone heading from NC to NJ??

I need to get a turntable to NJ/\:Philadelphia from NC. If anyone can help me I'd be grateful. Bill.
  12. Big Bill

soft clamp for floating TT?? opinions?

I recommend the Michell as well. It grips hard and since its made of Delrin and aluminum its very light as well.
  13. Big Bill

ehoove finally gets a modern TurnTable

Thanks Marc, its good to be back. :yes: I've been busy renovating the new house and building the new shop.
  14. Big Bill

ehoove finally gets a modern TurnTable

Congrats!
  15. Big Bill

U-Turn Turntable - Has anyone got one yet?

Sounds to me as if the table performs like a champ at its price point.
  16. Big Bill

Too many phono stages!

Well, the biggest difference, IMO is the absence of OP amps in the PH5 design. The PH5 is a hybrid transistor/tube design which IMO is sonically superior to the current OP amp based designs.
  17. Big Bill

Too many phono stages!

I've got quite a few DIY OP based phono pre-amps myself but since acquiring the Audio Research PH 5, they've just been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. :yes: I should probably find them new homes to go to.....
  18. Big Bill

Ortofon Samba LOMC suspension failure!

Yes, it was resolved. Needle Doctor arranged for Ortofon to send me a brand new cartridge even though it was more than a month out of warranty. Great customer service from both Needle Doctor and Ortofon in this case! As for the cart, I loved it. :yes:
  19. Big Bill

Linn Basik w/ Akito tonearm

.5 grams is way to light for any Ortofon cartridge I'm aware of. You need to determine what cartridge and stylus you have before I can recommend a vertical tracking force setting.
  20. Big Bill

Thorens TD-224, one of only 4000 made!

I just checked and found it. Thanks! I'll look into to that tomorrow. :thmbsp: Now for the latest catastrophe, I sent the two idler wheels out to Ed Crockett down in Hattiesburg, MS. for new rubber two weeks ago. I called Friday to get an update on their progress, only to learn from his voice...
  21. Big Bill

Cleaning Inside Record Sleeves/Paper Sleeves?

I just blow them out thoroughly with 100 psi compressed air. I place my finger out in front of the nozzle to prevent tearing of the sleeve.
  22. Big Bill

What cartridge is best for this vintage transcription tonearm?

I think that arm is to heavy for the carts you mentioned. I'd stick with the GE.
  23. Big Bill

Replacement lamps for Thorens TD-126 MK II switches?

Hello, can someone tell me where I can source some replacement lamps for Thorens TD-126 MK II back lit selector switches? Regards, Bill.
Back
Top Bottom