Search results

1. B

rectifier tube flashes and shorts unit

not sure where the 60UF+ first cap comes from, the datasheets talk about 40UF being the design center. the higher the first cap, the higher the B+. this can help if you have a 110-115v era amp and your AC is now 120V (lowest for the day?). so a lower first cap can reduce this higher B+. if...
  2. B

What use for old Radio Shack car drivers?

if you're interested, research 1980's saabs (could also be later models) but I recall they used 10" speakers of either 3 or 4",
  3. B

Severe laptop damage ?

fix each laptop, then build one good one, stop using Velcro, close the door where you keep the laptop(s) to keep the cats out. you cannot clean the inside of a house or a car from the outside, if you come up with a plan to do so, you can become a billionaire with your idea: clean houses...
  4. B

Best sounding pre-recorded cassettes you've come across?

another point is that some music providers used banks of Nakamichis and calibrated them often. they also recorded them at MOL for the tape type, and were generally better than their LP offerings. I recall that many American LPs were made with recycled vinyl. and many of my classical LPs were not...
  5. B

Severe laptop damage ?

trashing a connector by misuse is easy, just violently yank the power plug off at an angle each time you power off. if you have several laptops, each without a password, then you're probably not taking it outside of the secure house, and therefore with 6 or so, then they're dedicated to both...
  6. B

Severe laptop damage ?

super glue is easy to remove - google is your friend. if the Velcro adhesive is not strong enough either: 1) don't use it or 2) don't stress it so it doesn't work.
  7. B

Where have all the TT's gone?

dudes, it was never about the money (I bought for xxx and gotta make money on this) and now it's not available. however, like armchair 4-star generals, surfing for a few minutes and not finding anything may be due to mercury-retrograde, full moon, and 3 weeks til IRS 2018 tax returns due...
  8. B

Severe laptop damage ?

you don't need to close the lid on your laptop - the movies/TV do this. and continued use means the hinges get loose and you have yet another problem. in fact program the power settings to shut down the screen, then the rest of the system. you can control when these happen for both AC power...
  9. B

A Few Questions About SACD

nope, the present condition of SACD in the audio chain stays unchanged, if for no other reason than no one will pay for the change. there were OPPO and Microsoft boxes that allowed access to the DSD SACD streams for external use (such as separate digital files for deferred playback to say, a...
  10. B

Running Japanese amp on US voltage

it would be a better and cheaper design to hang the LED off the activating relay pole. you now have a different problem than what your initial symptoms description calls for. I'd do a complete screening on inputs, tape out if there is one (and separate test for tape in if there is one), and...
  11. B

Severe laptop damage ?

the ram requirements for Windows 10 is low (google is your friend) and there's an upper limit of 3.2/4GB (unless you patch) under 32-bit operations. I have several windows tablets (early dell) that have only 2GB memory and run fine. besides you can always find cheap SODIMMs on craigslist to...
  12. B

there are plenty of house lamps that use 12v bulbs. IKEA being the major seller since these last forever. these use halogen/h-iodide bulbs just like in the fancy cars. Definition https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bucking%20transformer with ground - please review carefully...
  13. B

Best sounding pre-recorded cassettes you've come across?

if you're into classical there's the Telarc line with dolby encoding on type II tape. these can command big bucks.
  14. B

at the specified consumption 120w, that's 1.2A @100v. you could pull old lamp transformers and use them to buck. one 12v transformer brings 120 down to 108 volts. and all it has to support is 1.2a. I use old Ikea incandescent lamp transformers. if you are paranoid, use two.
  15. B

No love for Hafler?

I have a 101 and a 200 that's been working for about 50 years. only the 101 needed the electrolytic caps replaced about three times. here on AK there are far more other units being fixed, or broken, or mangled by flippers but it may be that Pioneer/Marantz/etc receivers have overwhelming...
  16. B

Severe laptop damage ?

about 180 posts ago, I suggested you research how to get a copy of windows 10. FREE. this is the ultimate recycling thread. only 77 posts to 300. and you're about to use your Dad's Windows 10 product key. and you're going to ask about how to unlock a lost password disk.
  17. B

Planned Obsolescence?

happens everywhere all the time. cars: buy an early C5 and find out the ECBM is NLA and you are reduced to as-is junk yard pulls watches: apple watch 2015, no longer supported in 2018. phones- spend 1K+ and wait 2 years. watch that battery fail. and your house that works, then you decide to...
  18. B

Replacing Linear Volume Pot with Logarithmic

are you sure the original pot was linear? volume controls are almost always log tapers. however, as long as the pot is the same value, you are not going to affect the loading on the output of the previous stage.
  19. B

Severe laptop damage ?

16 out of 100 to 300. follow the videos. it's not just about removing the screws, sometimes you need to pop up an edge. like you open the hood of any car - does the engine jump out?
  20. B

Possible eBay seller beware, not sure.

Adding to what @audiojones says, this may have been a brand new unit, returned to the US distributor who had it fixed and perhaps due to volume of this and other units needing repairs, didn't remove the flux or add a note about the fix (plenty of room on the inside cover). and if it's been...
  21. B

A Few Questions About SACD

there are thousands of SACDs to choose from and nowadays you can find them among the CDs being dumped for Streaming. (just like the LPs begin dumped for CDs then and now). before you start buying rock SACDs - best to review the specific SACD. why? I bought a Rolling Stones SACD and there was...
  22. B

Severe laptop damage ?

follow tronk's advice - post 27 or just click on video at post 204. let's shoot for 300.
  23. B

Severe laptop damage ?

there hasn't been a single thing wrong with the laptop - all the damage was not from Gateway. you do not have to buy anything. you already have TWO gateways - there's enough parts to build one good working Gateway. FAN: remove screws to back or to the fan assembly. blow out dust bunnies...
  24. B

Severe laptop damage ?

fix laptop fan. clean it out - leave no dust bunnies alive for revenge. you didn't fix laptop cooler if it now doesn't work. power plug - go inside laptop and tighten pins - do not over-tighten and if you plan to do so, then buy a new power jack and learn to solder. with two identical...
  25. B

Severe laptop damage ?

slow down, what are you looking at- is this the circuit board for the power plug? fix the jack if it is. then your power plug will work better. or swap with the other laptop's board. and does fan work? is there dust underneath? replace fan from other unit if this does not work. suck the dust...
Back
Top Bottom