Search results

1. wineslob

Dual 1242

Hey all, I picked up the above TT and while it's in VG condition it does need a few things. 1. I only have the Automatic spindle, however it wont drop a record. Tried looking up how to adjust but no luck. Same with lifting the plinth and checking the "guts". I just dont see an adjustment? 2...
  2. wineslob

I have a chance to buy Apogee Duetta Signature II's....input on what to look for?? *pictures!*

The Tekton won't "float your boat". Not after listening to Sigs. Curious as to why the new panels/MR/T's? Be careful, Grazzled Apogees may sound "different". If possible I'd stick with his original "ribbons." One other thing, if your MR/T's are Ok it's pretty easy to either re-tension them, or...
  3. wineslob

My Barn Find

Vandersteens.....not "vintage" but will show off what you have.
  4. wineslob

I have a chance to buy Apogee Duetta Signature II's....input on what to look for?? *pictures!*

Oh as far as failure, the woofers will fail at the edges. There is foam edging where the foil meets the frame. Once this fails, the dreaded "rattle" will start. If so, I believe Rich at True Soundworks Audio can re-do the woofers with a "new" edging that will never fail. Not cheap.....
  5. wineslob

As a former owner of Duetta's, get ready to be frustrated with placement............
  6. wineslob

Old, rich aunt passed away-inherited money-what amp to buy?

That is some damn nice eye candy.
  7. wineslob

What Sparked Your Higher-Fi Quest?

I went to an "audiophiles" house and listened to his DIY Dynaudio system. I had never heard speakers disappear and present an actual sound stage. I chased that "sound" until I put together my system with the Apogees, now, sadly, gone along with my house and town....
  8. wineslob

What weird or dumb beliefs did you have when you were new to Audio?

I thought a Quad system, no not the speakers, were IT!
  9. wineslob

Advice on entry level HIFI speakers

Used : Vandersteens. Probably 1 or 2 Ci's I see them all the time for less than $400 in good shape on CL. Very, very tough to beat, plus they are still around and will repair older models.
  10. wineslob

Who made the best vintage audio?

Best Vintage audio? (also depends on what is vintage ie: cutoff date) Stax McIntosh Beveridge Quad ESL 57 or 63 Dayton Wright Janzen Rogers LS3/5a Accuphase And many more I forget right now. IMHO
  11. wineslob

How expensive was your first car?

Mine was a 1961 Fiat 1200 Roadster. Almost wish I still had it. My father found it behind a gas station in the early 70's and bought it for 50 bucks.
  12. wineslob

Leestereo's Restoration & Upgrade of a Pioneer SX-750

Lee, I just picked up one of these units for $20 bucks. It has the constant hum in both channels, but otherwise functions quite well. I think I'm ok with replacing the caps to get rid of the hum, but any farther is a little risky for me. With Photobucket nixing the ability to see your pictures...
  13. wineslob

All the fuss about cables

. This.
  14. wineslob

Heresy I's ??

Will do. :)
  15. wineslob

A bit late (WOW) But TY.

A bit late (WOW) But TY.
  16. wineslob

Heresy I's ??

Found a pair of Heresy I's I believe? Ser #'s are 8505324/3 (sequential) I think yr built 1985? Decided to pick them up, and I have to say, while they are no Apogee, they ain't bad. :yes: :music: Would it be good to give them an oil finish or leave them be? (they are bare Birch) They are in...
  17. wineslob

Why is Bose bashed so much ? and when did it start ?

IMHO it started in the late 70's. The consensus was the Bose was the "best" at least with Bose heads. Where this came from, I don't know. Maybe it was the fact that 901's, for the times, were quite expensive, or that you MUST use the EQ just to make them sound, um, OK. Either way, I was...
  18. wineslob

Duettas redone

The crossovers are the stock Apogee units. While they claimed a 1000 hz point, the ribbon is not really out of the picture until 500 hz. With the woofer crossed (it's own coil) at 500 I should get a slight bump at the crossover point. These are the "II's" not Sigs.
  19. wineslob

Duettas redone

The bass cabinets are sealed. They are roughly 2.5 CF and work with the old Madisound drivers you see. They also happen to be the correct size for the Peerless units. The dimensions are based on the "Golden Ratio". I've got them crossed at 500 hz with a 6db slope. Judging from listening, I'll...
  20. wineslob

Pics of your listening space

Crappy camera............
  21. wineslob

Pics of your listening space

Ended up having to "modify" the system (see thread in DIY). Now it looks like this: I'm also using a Lux 35 tube preamp. It's amazing.
  22. wineslob

Duettas redone

Next up, frames to hold the ribbon assemblies. These are made out of Ipe. Next, the finished product: I haven't put in the correct woofers, Peerless 830688's, which the cabs are designed for, but they sound pretty damn good. The bass has more punch, and drive, then the old...
  23. wineslob

Duettas redone

To make a long story short, one one the bass panels in my Duettas bit the dust. The cost of having them redone is cost prohibitive, so whats an audiophile to do? I can rebuild them, I has the skillzzzz! I decided to turn them into a Centuar-like hybrid. A ribbon midrange/tweeter on a...
  24. wineslob

Good sounding, bad looking speakers

A good grill cloth replacement is Tule. It's cheap and pretty "transparent".
  25. wineslob

Speakers with low end frequency reproduction

Apogee. But like VMPS, hard to find. Once you hear bass panels........well cones sound like cones.
Back
Top Bottom