Search results

1. wintersdawn

Pioneer PL-100 Turntable - Replacement Cartridge

Hi, does anyone know if the Audio Technica AT-VM95C would have the correct compliance for my Pioneer PL-100 turntable? Decided it was time to change after having an accident with the stylus of my Shure M75-6S cartridge and as they are quite hard to get hold of, decided to get something that is...
  2. wintersdawn

Pioneer - PL-100

Just got one of these cheap and it comes with the original Pioneer cartridge (PC-110 I think?) Not sure whether to get a new stylus for this original cartridge or mount my existing Shure M75-6s with original old stock stylus. Any advice on this? Thanks.
  3. wintersdawn

Do Double Play cassettes put too much strain on the motor?

Double play cassettes have a large amount of tape and I wondered if they put too much strain on the motor when playing them? Many thanks.
  4. wintersdawn

Damage to tape heads by playing wrong tape type?

I am just getting back into cassette tapes and wondered if any damage can be caused by playing a chrome/type II tape in a player that doesn't have a switch for chrome and is only designed to play type 1 ferric tapes? Many thanks.
  5. wintersdawn

Shure Stylus Identification

Hi, can anyone identify the Shure stylus below. Many thanks.
  6. wintersdawn

USB Microscope for checking stylus condition

I am thinking about buying a USB microscope to check the condition of my stylus. The ones I am seeing have 50x-500x digital magnification with a 2MB camera & 8 LED's and are around £10 delivered but I'm not sure if the magnification is strong enough to clearly see any wear/damage to a diamond...
  7. wintersdawn

Signs of a worn stylus

Hi, I have started noticing a white residue left behind in the grooves of my records after playing them and wondered if it might signal that my stylus is worn/damaged? I have a Pioneer PL-12D with an AT71 cartridge and ATN71E green elliptical stylus. Its probably been on there less than a...
  8. wintersdawn

Best stylus dimensions/variable groove width

Hi, I wondered is there an optimum stylus tip size? I currently have an ATN71E on my pioneer pl12d which is 0.4 x 0.7 elliptical. Also does the gap between record grooves vary? When they put 10+ tracks on one side of an LP the grooves look closer together giving, I imagine, a narrower groove...
  9. wintersdawn

Cartridge Identification Help

Anyone know what AT cart this is? The stylus looks like an ATN70/71/72 but doesn't look like it fits the cart. Thanks.
  10. wintersdawn

Refurbished Pioneer PL-12D

I recently finished refurbishing a Pioneer PL-12D. I originally had 3 to choose parts from (one mark I & two mark II's). I used the box and lid from the mark I and used the insides from one of the mark II's. I changed the foam inserts inside the springs & cleaned the rubber cushions that...
  11. wintersdawn

Tonearm/cartridge Compliance?

ATN71E - Tonearm/cartridge Compliance? I have an AT70 cartridge installed on my Pioneer PL-12D and have been advised that the ATN71E stylus will be a good match for the TT/cartridge (thanks Manfred). Although I'm sure this will turn out to be a good combination I would like to understand, in...
  12. wintersdawn

ATN 70/71 Stylus Identification - Conical or Elliptical?

I have several original Audio Technica ATN 70/71 styli and wondered if the colour signifies whether they are conical or elliptical? Green Stylus - says Toshiba on the stylus mirrored face (ATN71 on label) Grey Stylus - says Toshiba on the stylus mirrored face (ATN70/71/ND136G on label)...
  13. wintersdawn

Headshell Wiring

I have recently swapped a cartridge onto a different headshell and wondered, if one of the wires were somehow broken/fractured inside the wire casing, would it be possible to tell when listening to a record? What I mean is, if 'any' of the four wires breaks, what effect does it have on the...
  14. wintersdawn

Pioneer Amp for PL-12D Turntable

Hi, I just got a Pioneer PL-12D and wondered if, back when these came out (1973 onwards), if there was a recommended/favoured Pioneer amp that people used with their PL-12D? Many thanks.
  15. wintersdawn

New Turntable - Pioneer PL-12D Hybrid

Finished assembling my new turntable yesterday. I had 3 Pioneer PL-12D's to choose the best bits from. One was a mark I and the other two were mark II's. I used the lid and box of the mark I as it was in excellent condition. The mark I innards weren't so good so I chose the innards of one of...
  16. wintersdawn

Pioneer PL-12D running too fast

Just got this turntable today, advertised as platter barely turning. I oiled the spindle and now it is running noticeably fast at 331/3. Read a suggestion that by pushing the speed lever about half-way causes resistance from the metal speed change arm and slows it down. This worked but not...
  17. wintersdawn

Hitachi Speed Adjustment Problem

Hi, Having found my turntable is going slightly slow, I decided to take a look inside for some sort of motor speed adjustment but have not been able to see any type of adjustment. Have attached pictures of the motor and electronics and wondered if anyone can see/knows where I could adjust the...
  18. wintersdawn

Turntable speed test using strobe disc

Hi, I printed a 50hz 33.3 strobe disc and using a desk lamp viewed it using the naked eye and also filmed it. The results from the naked eye and film showed the same thing - when focused on an individual segment it consistently drifts slowly to the right (counterclockwise). Does this mean it...
  19. wintersdawn

retro amplifier vs modern

I have a Sony ta-fe370 amplifier which says spontaneous twin drive/super legato linear. I am thinking about going retro and getting a Hitachi ha-3500 amplifier from 1979 with nice left/right illuminated sound meters and wondered if the sound from it for my turntable etc would be not as good...
  20. wintersdawn

Cartridge Alignment question

Hi, I fitted a new stylus today on my turntable and got the distance right from the back washer to the tip of the stylus. I then checked it with the protractor and the stylus tip was right on each null point but in order to line up the stylus casing to the lines on the protractor I needed to...
  21. wintersdawn

Pioneer PL-12D

I see loads of these on Ebay and they seem to average around £100 buy it now. Anyone a fan of these? I have a Hitachi - HT-324, would this be much of an upgrade? I like the retro look and the wood base, looks quite plain and simple and I see someone has done blog dedicated to...
  22. wintersdawn

Tonearm mass affecting cartridge selection

Could anyone explain to me how tonearm mass affects which cartridge to choose? To my level of understanding whatever the tonearm or cartridge is like as long as you float and apply correct vtf it shouldn't make any difference? Many thanks.
  23. wintersdawn

New Headshell Concern

I just bought a cheap replacement headshell from ebay and when I started to line up the cartridge I noticed the front was wider one side compared to the other. I carried on fitting the cartridge and checked it was aligned but wondered if the unequal front would somehow cause unequal...
  24. wintersdawn

Next best to Technics 1200/1210

Been following listings on Ebay and never see a used Technics 1200/1210 go for much less than £200 and wondered what would be the next best thing that wouldn't be as expensive but still be similar quality/sound? Many thanks.
  25. wintersdawn

Vestax PDX-2000

I got a Vestax PDX-2000 from a local cash-converter today for £10 and after a bit of setting up all seems well. How are these turntables?
Back
Top Bottom