Search results

1. G

Fine tunable attenuator with accurate dB readout

Need to slightly attenuate input for the bass on a DIY speaker project. I currently have a mixing desk between the bass amp and speakers and can adjust things fine like this but I'd like to have a more permanent solution that is built into the speakers and need to know what the exact level of...
  2. G

Easiest way for wireless control of desktop PC from laptop

I'd like to be able to use my desktop PC as a server for playing music and video but to control it from my laptop. After some googling it seems there's a myriad of more or less complicated solutions that I'd like to avoid if possible. Ideally, once a connection is somehow established, I'd...
  3. G

At what point does awkward enclosure shapes start to affect performance?

Will narrow channels with sharp edges etc affect sound compared to a regular cube shaped enclosure? Will for instance say something like this fly?
  4. G

Looking for analog crossover with these specific features

- 2 way stereo (preferably) - 12dB slope option - Continuously variable crossover frequency where both "ways'" cutoff points are adjusted with a single knob - Preferably with a display or some other sort of usable feedback for where you are frequency wise That's it. Please let me know if...
  5. G

Different amps for bass and mids/tweeters?

So I love the sound of my densen amps with my speakers, but I'd like to have more power for tighter or more controlled bass. Generally, with a crossover frequency of 400Hz, If I were to use different amps for bass and midrange/tweeter, would it be likely to sound unbalanced or uneven given both...
  6. G

Noob question about speaker sensitivity

Crossovers aside, When choosing elements for a 3 way speaker, given the element in question will be working well within its recommended operating frequency, is its listed dB sensitivity enough to decide if it will work well with the other speaker elements, linearly, over the normal range of...
  7. G

Pandora alternative for favorite songs, not artists

Looking for something like pandora, only based on favorite songs instead of artists or genres. Does it exist?
  8. G

CD player with same DAC as PS1

I really like the way my Playstation1 sounds. It's punchy and airy and dynamic sonding in a relaxed way somehow, and just sounds right to me. The problem is its output is very low and it wont play burnt CD's. I'm assuming its DAC is what makes it sound the way it does. Are there CD players out...
  9. G

Rotel RCD-950 vs NAD C545BEE or something else for warm, punchy CD sound on a budget?

So the cd player in our livingroom is finally dying, and I see the oportunity to change around a few things and reintroduce a bright, yet lovely sounding amplifier that with the right source and some tweaks would be perfect for my girlfriends speakers. She initially rejected it because it had...
  10. G

Analog amp solution for output 15 dB below line level?

I'm very happy with my turntable and phono preamp combination, but the final output is about 15 dB below line level and I'm looking for a transparent sounding analog amp of some sort that would take me closer to line level. Thinking maybe something like a fixed 15 dB amplification with...
  11. G

Normal vs mic recording on Tandberg 440 A

Normal recording on my TCD 440 A does not work, thogh recording with the mic input does. Given the impedance is correct, will hooking up a DI box between a line level source and the mic input work? Does the mic recording input follow the same or a similar circuit as normal recording to the point...
  12. G

Line level adaptor for home hifi?

I'm looking for a high quality line level adaptor for my home hifi. Seems most of these are made for car use. Anyone know of one that is made for home hifi or one that will work ok for it and not distort?
  13. G

What tapes are good (enough) for a TCD 440A?

Just got a Tandberg TCD 440A and wonder if there are any good tapes that fit this machine better than others? Will any tape be as good as the other as long as they are both say unused type II? Will metal tapes be a total waste for it? Thanks!
  14. G

Possible to make a good sounding pre out from high level output?

I've got one of David Navone's $20 NE-7V line driver adapters that I have been trying on a couple of integrated amps. The idea is to make a pre amp out of a nice sounding integrated that doesn't have a pre out. When I connect it to an integraded amp that has got a pre out, to compare the...
  15. G

PM-80, PM-80 mkII, PM-90, PM-78 (and the SE versions)

How are these amps different? Looks like technically they're basically the same amp, so what are the differences soundwise? I heard the PM80 mkII years ago and remember it made a big impression with its laid back yet dynamic sound, with lots of attack and power when needed. I shoud say I...
  16. G

active line level splitter

I'm thinking of getting an active line level splitter to avoid possible impedance/voltage/gain problems, splitting the signal from a preamp to poweramps and active subs. Are there any such active splitters that will justefy its place in a relatively decent hifi setup? Are there any other...
  17. G

Loss of speed with vintage preamp?

Are vintage solid state preamps from round 1970 with a tube like sound slower sounding than newer solid state preamps? How does a Fisher 202T, Marantz 2270 or Sansui AU-999 compare with tube preamps like say a Ming-Da MC7 or a music angel KT88 (used as a preamp)with good NOS tubes regarding...
Back
Top Bottom