Search results

1. KGBMAN

Good tube literature

Here's a good link to FREE PDF files of lots of good stuff. http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm
  2. KGBMAN

Newbie here...Some questions regarding The Fisher 400 preamp...

To the OP: If that house was truly frozen in time from 1960, chances are the power amp(s) for that setup is STILL IN THE HOUSE. It is probably inside a cabinet nearby where the pre-amp and tuner were. See if you can still find them.
  3. KGBMAN

AR-2ax restoration advice

Just do a search for AR-2 or AR-3 on here and you'll find lots of good procedures for cleaning those speaker controls. One guy did a very nice tutorial with plenty of pictures. Good luck and post back with your progress.
  4. KGBMAN

AR-2ax restoration advice

Kevin, First, if you can restore and reuse the speaker controls, do so. If not, replace them with Ohmite p/n RHS15R (15 ohm 25W rheostat). DO NOT simply bypass the speaker controls as that will affect the performance. Second, if the stock insulation doesn't smell moldy or musty... reuse...
  5. KGBMAN

Pilot console

I'll recap those speakers and see how they sound. If I still don't like them, I'll come up with something else but I won't cannibalize the originals.
  6. KGBMAN

Pilot console

I will eventually start my own rebuild thread but, since everyone is having a Pilot lovefest... here's mine: Receiver is a model 402. I'm in the process of replacing resistors after recapping it. Sounds pretty sweet but I know it can sound better. Turntable is a Garrard with ceramic...
  7. KGBMAN

Pilot console

WOW! I just picked up that same console! If you want to part with that Garrard, please let me know.
  8. KGBMAN

Console Turntable - Garrard

Thanks for the input and I'll check out the tracking force screw when I get done with the amp. I've been reading up on here and I know you're fondness for the Type A units. I'll update this thread when I pull the turntable. Thanks again.
  9. KGBMAN

Thanks to all who replied. I would consider use a magnetic cartridge (with a small preamp) since the tracking forces would be much lighter and therefore kinder to the vinyl. Now that you can see the pictures, you'll notice there is little or no tracking force adjustments on this table...
  10. KGBMAN

Sorry about the picture link. Here are the same pics attached:
  11. KGBMAN

I just picked up a very nice Pilot console from 1960. I'm currently rebuilding the receiver but I will need to do something about the turntable. As you can see below, this is a Garrard idler unit with a ceramic cartridge. I understand what it takes to refurbish one of these but I have some...
  12. KGBMAN

Magnavox 9302 Power Supply

This one?
  13. KGBMAN

Grommes LJ3 schematic

Why not contact Grommes directly? GO HERE
  14. KGBMAN

EICO ST 70 - question about capacitor cans, grounds, jacks

C39 and C40 are in the bias circuit which carries a negative voltage. They should be wired with the "+" lead to ground.
  15. KGBMAN

Need help with my PEC...

I assume you were never able to determine what the original values were?
  16. KGBMAN

Need help with my PEC...

That's exactly what I'm using Jay. Some perf board from RatShack with discreet components. I guess I'll try to mimic that circuit in the Grommes schematic posted earlier and use that as a starting point.
  17. KGBMAN

Need help with my PEC...

Thanks for the responses. I pulled one of the originals and checked it out. It appears to be the same configuration as the #55 unit in the Sprague catalog (see attached). Values I measured: C1 = 0.45 nF C2 = 2.2 nF C3 = 3.9 nF C4 = 1.55 nF R1 = 100KR R2 = 52KR I know these...
  18. KGBMAN

Need help with my PEC...

Someone a while ago suggested these values: Four capacitors: Pin 1 to pin 3, .0022 Pin 2 to pin 4 .0033 Pin 4 to pin 6 0.1 Pin 5 to pin 7 0.01 All values in microfarads. I will remove one of the original ones and see what they measure.
  19. KGBMAN

Need help with my PEC...

I'm finally getting around to trying to replace the PECs in the tone controls of my Grommes E-24 unit. I can't find any information on the PC-1964 modules that came in the system and the schematic from Grommes shows no values. Can anyone please suggest some capacitor values to start with...
  20. KGBMAN

Restoring Sansui AU111, bringing it back to life.

Hurley, Are you ready for that signal generator yet? :yes:
  21. KGBMAN

Realistic receiver doesn't power on

Do you have a multimeter? If so, can you measure the resistance through the fuse?
  22. KGBMAN

Tube Gear Challenge

Sure would.
  23. KGBMAN

My First Grommes

She's a beaut. Make sure to do a full re-cap and replace any of those carbon comp resistors that have drifted.
  24. KGBMAN

Schematic Links, Tube retail links, local tube testers

Sarasota Florida. Sencore TC-162 emissions tester. PM me if you need testing.
  25. KGBMAN

What to look for in a tube tester

Another vote for a Sencore Mighty-Mite tester. As much as I love tubes and tube equipment, I do NOT want tubes in my tube tester. When I want a test, I do not want to wait for the unit to warm up. BTW, ... I have a TC-162 I bought off that auction site for $60 and put about $15 into fixing it...
Back
Top Bottom