Search results

1. 45rpm

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Passed up a pair of KLH Model 17s at a yard sale today for $5.00. The guy had some other vintage stereo equipment for sale, at "market" pricing (neither overpriced nor cheap). He had several pairs of speakers hooked up to a modern McIntosh system, and when he switched to the KLHs, I could tell...
  2. 45rpm

Not the Beach Boys

The Wrecking Crew bio touches on this - I believe it was Peter Tork who showed up to one of the first sessions with a guitar in hand, expecting to play his own musical part. Apparently it wasn't clearly communicated that the Monkees were intended to be actors playing band members, not actual...
  3. 45rpm

Not very common to find '80s albums on RTR...are those Record Club (or whatever it was called) exclusive issues? Very cool stuff and I bet they sound great! :thmbsp:
  4. 45rpm

Had a neat little find at Goodwill today: two compact vintage phono preamps (Realistic 42-2930 and Olson Electronics AM-368), $7.50 for the pair. They look to be pretty much identical, but I have not tested them yet. I now have a preamp to match the other turntable I have. Now I need a third...
  5. 45rpm

Is This Guy Intoxicated?

"Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help!"
  6. 45rpm

Broken Marantz 2275 and Onkyo TX8500

Just now seeing this...what a find! The Seiki in particular is a real beauty. Did you end up getting the Infinitys?
  7. 45rpm

Anybody else's dog like vinyl?

Thanks for the kind words. She went peacefully and comfortably yesterday, with her favorite humans. She'll be dearly missed - I'll have to get used to not having her sleep beside the "audio area" while I play records late at night. :pawprint:
  8. 45rpm

Anybody else's dog like vinyl?

Not sure if there is a canine equivalent to the "cats on audio gear" thread. Here's Sookie posing with most of my equipment (now an outdated photo). She has to be put down tomorrow as a result of clusters of seizures and no help from medication. She's 14 and would probably have not...
  9. 45rpm

Today at the thrift store was this big honkin' Betamax deck. $4,000 in 1979...$10 in 2015. The prognosis isn't great. It was owned by a smoker and is pretty dirty (I cleaned up the plastic parts on top right before taking these photos), and currently doesn't do anything except for powering on...
  10. 45rpm

Not sure about electronics recycling, but this was what we did with non-functioning electronics at the thrift store where I worked: cut off the cords and stuck them in a barrel for "processing". It killed me to do that to a moderately high-end early '80s JVC. :no: Ugh.
  11. 45rpm

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

I think you swapped out a new receiver and you're trying to pull a fast one. :D That looks great cleaned up, how does it sound?
  12. 45rpm

Name the brands in your audio system.

MCS (Technics) MCS (ALPS) Nakamichi JVC Yamaha ADC Scott Nikko Sony Technics Sanyo General Electric Wharfedale Aztec Acoustic Research Optimus/Realistic
  13. 45rpm

Old Woofer Identification & Best Day Ever

Visiting 924 Gilman would be enjoyable in itself. Looks like you went the extra mile!
  14. 45rpm

What is the flashiest, most obnoxious looking receiver/amp of the 80s/early 90s?

Same, many Nak decks would apply. And for those of you who like lots of lights, the JVC KD-D50 is right up your alley...
  15. 45rpm

What Is The Coolest Company Name In Audio?

I've always been partial to Carver.
  16. 45rpm

Continue the conversation with song lyrics

She tells lies with her eyes She's gotta love me all the time. Though she's breaking inside She will only cry at night. She's a soldier, she's a soldier boy.
  17. 45rpm

Cantilever problems...

I was about ready to replace it anyway - it's been on there for maybe 8 or 9 years and has seen a lot of playing time.
  18. 45rpm

Cantilever problems...

Re-checked it again, and it wasn't perfectly level at zero. I lightened it a bit, and it floats freely at zero now. This is a Technics SL-D2, stock tonearm.
  19. 45rpm

What is this? Dipping into the collective AK mind.

On the subject of steam turbines...discovered this a while ago. YIKES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH4v6VnJVp8
  20. 45rpm

Continue the conversation with song lyrics

I am Aladdin, and I will gladden you or sadden you, do anything you want me to. I am Aladdin, and there's no task at all too great or small that I can't do for you.
  21. 45rpm

Might need a little Grease to run properly. :D
  22. 45rpm

Kyocera tape deck find today

When the local GW reopened a couple years ago, they had a bunch of vintage stuff come in. One of the units was an early '80s Kyocera receiver. For $30 or $40, I passed on it, but I remember how unusual it looked... If I ever come across a deck like that, I'll pick it up regardless of operating...
  23. 45rpm

Cantilever problems...

Hadn't re-balanced an arm before, but gave it my best shot. Does this look better? (Perhaps tracking at twice the weight I needed to was where all that distortion and sibilance was coming from...!)
  24. 45rpm

Cantilever problems...

New stylus has arrived and has been installed. Seems to play fine, but just to make sure...is this still too low? Tracking force is set to this... Does everything look right here? The cartridge body is certainly not touching the record any more - I just want to make sure it's not too low.
  25. 45rpm

Annapolis Estate Sale - This one is a doozy

Thanking my lucky stars that I'm nowhere near Annapolis! As a tape-head, I see LOTS of cool stuff in there... ...however, I'm guessing that it's stacked like cordwood because it's at least partially inoperative. Lord knows it probably hasn't been tested in a while. :(
Back
Top Bottom