Search results

1. copterske2

Magnavox Record Player

Greetings all, I’m refurbishing this Magnavox unit. I replaced a couple tubes and will be recapping. I have a question about the VOM turntable. It won’t go through the auto cycle. I have cleaned and relubed the workings according to the instructions from the Voice of Music folks. However...
  2. copterske2

The Auto-Phile Speakers

Greetings! My wife saw these speakers at a thrift store and sent me pics wanting to know if she should pick them up. I couldn’t find anything about them online. My assumption was that they were car speakers, but they don’t really look like it tbh. And the screw mount makes it seem like they...
  3. copterske2

Replacing Magnavox Micromatic Turntable in console

I recently picked up a Magnavox console unit. It all works fine except the turntable motor is bad. I have a BSR/McDonald turntable with a ceramic cartridge that will fit sans plinth. From the posts in another thread I understand that I can solder RCA connectors onto the two wires in the Molex...
  4. copterske2

Stromberg Carlson console

Greetings all and happy new year! I purchased this console recently knowing it wasn’t working and I’m trying to troubleshoot it. The power amp looks to be fine as you can see, save for a couple of tubes that tested marginal. The turntable motor works and the turntable itself should be fine after...
  5. copterske2

GE “Suitcase” Record Player Hummmm

Greetings all, I sell vintage audio out of a space at a vintage shop. Old suitcase record players seem to be rather popular (as are console units as long as they have a cool mid-century cabinet ). I have been stumped by this GE unit. I can’t find the source for the constant 60-cycle hum. I...
  6. copterske2

Beomaster 2400-2 short

Greetings folks, I am recently retired and now have time to fix up some of the units I have picked up over the years. One is the above Beomaster 2400-2. It was working generally fine, but would develop a hum with extended use. So I purchased a pair of replacement filter caps to change out. After...
  7. copterske2

Late 1940s Magnavox Symphony Regency

I see there are a few threads on this item in the forum, but I thought I'd start my own. We are doing some redecorating of a mid-century aesthetic and picked up this console yesterday at an antique store. The proprietor said it had been refurbished, though to what extent he didn't know other...
  8. copterske2

Three great new synth-pop albums by veterans of the genre

Depeche Mode, OMD and Todd Rundgren have each released new albums this year and each one is terrific. If you are in to the genre they are definitely worth checking out. I think they are all Mog-able. While each is very different, Depeche Mode's Delta Machine, OMD's English Electric and...
  9. copterske2

Interesting cassette score

I was on vacation last week in the eastern sierras and found these tapes in a little thrift store in June Lake. They must have come from the same collection well cared for and they all sound great with nary a squeal or warble. I had been exploring Camel but would never have thought to search out...
  10. copterske2

Interesting "classical" haul

Yesterday I picked up some rather intriguing lps at a local Discovery thrift store. They are all in absolutely pristine condition, even the mono RCA and Colombia albums. I had never heard of DGs "Archiv Produktion" but they sound great, are top-notch performances (based on the one I have...
  11. copterske2

Nice LP finds at Goodwill

I rarely find many good albums at Goodwill, but yesterday we took a jaunt over the causeway to Woodland's branch and they had a some very good and unusual ones. The best of the score are pictured below: Robin Trower: Live, Rare Earth: Get Ready, Heaven 17: The Luxury Gap, Isaac Hayes: Hot...
  12. copterske2

DVD Digital Out to M-Audio problem

Hi Folks, I recently moved an unused pc and M-Audio Audiophile USB interface into the living room in order to play digital files. It is working like a dream for the files on the pc. However, I am trying to use the digital out on our DVD player and connect it to the M-Audio but I am not able to...
  13. copterske2

Peter Murphy

A couple friends and I saw Peter Murphy (formerly of Bauhaus) at a local club this last Friday. It was really a fantastic show: Peter on vocals (of course) and occasional guitar and synth along with an excellent bass guitarist/violinist, guitar and drums. Great songs, old and new including...
  14. copterske2

Punk Britannia

This is, as it turns out, an excellent documentary. Quite a lot covered in the three hours. The focus on the oft neglected pre-punk "pub rock" scene in Britain was particularly welcome as was a pretty good overview of the post-punk era. One could quibble over the lack of mention about the...
  15. copterske2

Helicopter Steve's systems

Hi folks, here are below are my two resolutely mid-fi systems: The first two pics are of our living room system: A Kenwood KA7100, Realistic TM-1001 tuner, Mitsubishi DP-6 TT (with Shure M97xe), a Nak CR-2A cassette, Optimus-21 speakers and an ADC Sound Shaper I eq. Most of this equipment...
  16. copterske2

New dac!!!

I just got a new DAC (Motu Audio Express) so now I have 96k capability. I christened it with a purchase from HD Tracks: Rolling Stones Let it Bleed. It sounds fantastic although I don't have the recording in any other format with which to make a comparison. I also downloaded HD Tracks' free...
  17. copterske2

Introducing RCA stereo...

This might have been posted earlier but it's a pretty neat video... http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/hey_vinyl_lovers_living_stereo_introduced_by_rca_1958/
  18. copterske2

My wife found some speakers...

She was thrifting with a friend and picked these up for me (she said "there was a lot of BPC otherwise.") They are apparently homemade as there is no brand name anywhere. They are ported with 12" Jensen woofers and either two tweeters or a tweeter and midrange...also Jensen. Pretty clean inside...
  19. copterske2

2250B selector knob

Good day all, a friend recently gave me a 2250B that his son-in-law had repo'd from an unpaid storage unit. After cleanup and deox it works fine. The jumpers were missing, some lamps out and the wood case has seen better days...all fixable. However, the selector knob is missing and while I was...
  20. copterske2

Akai gx-f44r

Hello all, I picked up one of these cassette decks for five bucks off CL. I knew it wasn't working when I bought it but acc to the manual it specs out pretty nicely tho' a 2-head so I'm messing with it a bit. It will fast-forward and reverse but when play is engaged the auto-reverse kicks in and...
  21. copterske2

Fisher 250

Hello all, I found this receiver last year at curbside. It required merely a new fuse to be up and running. Quite pristine inside and it works/ sounds very nice. The only problem is the tuning mechanism is very tight, such that turning the knob has no effect. I can only get it to move by...
  22. copterske2

Pretty sure I scored...

...with my first R2R. I just picked up a Teac A2340 for $150. It is absolutely pristine and it sounds beautiful. I am listening to the Doctor Zhivago soundtrack that the seller gave me along with 7 other tapes on which he recorded the following: Boz Scaggs in Concert, mixed Bee Gees and Earth...
  23. copterske2

Cassette motor

Has anyone purchased a cassette motor from Studio Sound Electronics? I have a Pioneer CT-F750 and CT-F650 each of which seems to need a new motor. I am not confident enough in my skills to attempt pustelniakr's rebuild so if these motors are of quality I would be game for that method. Also, does...
  24. copterske2

Todd rundgren awats tour

Those of you in Los Angeles this week and, after the first of the year, in London do yourselves a favor and go see Todd performing A Wizard a True Star. Just saw it in San Francisco and it was truly magical. It's a great album by itself but he went all out on this production and has a great...
  25. copterske2

Sharp RT3388A

I bought this lovely looking deck for $15 at GW. It ran haltingly so I purchased new belts. However, the belts turned out to be ok (no big deal though it's obviously good to change them anyhow) But, he primary problem is that the idler wheel (?) that is turned by the capstan doesn't make enough...
Back
Top Bottom