Search results

1. kstlfido

Vitamin Q Capacitor Identification

Hi folks, Trying to ID a Sprague Vitamin Q cap with a prefix "L". The code is L96P. I'm familiar with most Sprague codes (91P, 96P, CP08, 260P 118P, 160P, etc...) But I can't find ANY information for an "L96P". Anyone have an idea what the "L" stands for? Regards, Kent
  2. kstlfido

Marantz 8B Questions

Marantz 8B output transformer protection options? Hi folks, With vintage restorations, I like to add a layer of protection to protect the unobtainium output transformers. For fixed bias output stages, I usually add 10Ω 1/4W sacrificial resistors to the cathodes of the output tubes. Not as easy...
  3. kstlfido

RCA SP-10 Restoration

I just finished a resto on a pair of SP-10's. Really impressed with their sonics! Vocals, in particular. Very in-the-room! Customer pleased. Thanks for the info thread; didn't realize how special these amps really are. One had been partially restored using CE cans. I prefer to use high...
  4. kstlfido

Mcintosh Service information binder

Yes, Mike scanned the schem in 4 different settings. The one I am working on also has a serial # over 11E00 and has different resistor values in the PSU. I can live with that as Mike's scan with my clean-up is the ONLY legible schem now available. Would be great to add the hi-res cleaned up...
  5. kstlfido

Thank you Mike for scanning the schematic. Yes, the color version caught the most detail. I re-sized and cleaned the schematic up, link below. I also made the division between both pages clearer so they could be easily joined. The numbers are still quite fuzzy but I don't know if a higher-res...
  6. kstlfido

Excellent, thank you!
  7. kstlfido

Hi mikemurph6- I would gladly contribute in any way I can ($$ or other) to get a hi-res scan of the MAC 1500 schematic. I have a quality Epson scanner here as well. The available schematics are quite atrocious! Regards, Kent
  8. kstlfido

JBL Lancer 77.....any good?

JBL used Mylar caps in the 77 x-overs. No need to replace unless in the very rare event they've shorted or gone open.
  9. kstlfido

Advice needed on how to approach a C22 restoration

Nice work, tidy! Those red print Sprague caps are 160P DI-FILM and probably test as a new film cap. I would have left them in. Also, to reduce the reflected light halo glow from the new side LED lamps, attach some matt black material to the back of the aluminum front face over the lamps; black...
  10. kstlfido

Ultimate Marantz Model 7 Restoration Thread

Looks good! Where did you get the selenium diodes?
  11. kstlfido

Black Pyramid Imp Capacitors

I was chatting with a good friend that recently restored a Pilot 216-A preamplifier. It had Pyramid IMP's and all tested like new for leakage on his Sprague Tel-Ohm-Mike. I did a search and this thread popped up.
  12. kstlfido

Black Pyramid Imp Capacitors

Later (post ~1960) Pyramid IMP capacitors are likely Di-Film (paper/polyester di-electric) and should be fine, but definitely need to be checked for insulation resistance first.
  13. kstlfido

Marantz 8B cap replacement

The GoodAll 600UE capacitors used in the Marantz 8B contain mylar film. Using a Sprague Tel-Ohm-Mike, all the ones I've come across still test as new for leakage. If they test fine, I'd leave them in.
  14. kstlfido

Ultimate Marantz Model 7 Restoration Thread

Hi crooner- I'm glad I came across this thread, thank you for starting it. I've only worked on a few Marantz 7's before and this thread is a great source of information. I'm starting a diagnostic/restoration on a 7. Unit was the owner's father's and has been un-powered for 30-40 years. Serial...
  15. kstlfido

MC240 Advice Sought

Partially incorrect. The PIO "Bumble Bee" Sprague caps (and other molded paper dielectric caps) cracked as the paper dielectric would absorb moisture over time and expand. The casing was never a 100% seal, particularly around the lead-in wires. The casing would change (shrink) over time...
  16. kstlfido

How to select a replacement tweeter?

"What's the status of your speakers in terms of the crossovers? Have you recapped them and they are still rolled off?" -Crossovers rebuilt with fresh poly caps. "Have you considered the shellac recoating of the dome?" -No. Reading threads, it appears that the thin rubber suspension deteriorates...
  17. kstlfido

How to select a replacement tweeter?

So what were the tweeter replacements used? Make/model number? I have a pair of XP-7's as well with quiet tweeters. Would like to know what would be a suitable replacement. Thank you.
  18. kstlfido

Sargent Rayment 5100 diagram..Help please!

Hi Andy- Here's a link to a higher res operation manual and schematic. http://www.kentleech.com/SR5100.pdf
  19. kstlfido

Sargent Rayment SR-5100, SR-2051: same output transformers?

Excellent, thank you! They are .001µf caps from screens to plates of the EL34's. I've never seen that before. Pseudo ultralinear? The SR-2150 doesn't have those, all else being the same, I believe. What is the DC resistance of the windings on your output transformers? That would confirm or...
  20. kstlfido

I found a lo-res image of the SR-5100 schematic. If yours is clearer, awesome! Upon examination of my SR-2051 power section guts and the SR-5100 schematic, both appear to NOT be ultra-linear. The only difference I can see between the two amps' output tube and transformer connections: the...
  21. kstlfido

Interesting, they are similar, but not the same #'s. Yes, please post or PM me the schematic. The operating manual would be nice, but not as useful to me as the schematic. Thank you!
  22. kstlfido

Marantz 7 Cosmos potentiometer cleaning/lubrication question

Maxhifi- Thank you for the clarification. The quick initial research I did pointed me to thinking they were Cosmos. I was incorrect. Yes, there are definitely Clarostat. I wish I could edit the original post. Triode17, thanks. I'll check my stash for a similar Clarostat pot to investigate. I've...
  23. kstlfido

Marantz 7 Cosmos potentiometer cleaning/lubrication question

Hi folks, I have a Marantz 7 on the bench, cleaning it up. I believe this unit uses the Cosmos pots. Are they sealed? There is no obvious way to get deoxit into the pot by the usual means; through the lead-in contacts. I noticed all the pots have what looks like a round cover or rivet head...
  24. kstlfido

Hello folks- I'm hoping someone could check their SR-5100 and tell me the output transformer part numbers. A friend of mine found an SR-5100 at a local flea market years ago, missing output transformers. I have the power amp section of an SR-2051 integrated amp. Almost identical topology to the...
  25. kstlfido

vacuum Tube Valley mag issue 20 needed//Sargent-Rayment SR-5100

Hope someone can help. A friend of mine found an SR-5100 at a local flea market years ago, missing output transformers. I have the power amp section of an SR-2051 integrated amp. Almost identical topology to the SR-5100. The output transformers on my SR-2051 have the part # "K/R MR-4315-A KMC...
Back
Top Bottom