Search results

1. K

fukuin old speakers

I have a pair of similar speakers. In my case, the woofer is 15" and the cabinets are based on the Jensen Bass Ultraflex design (Pre-Onken Japanese made!). The cabinets for your speakers are factory original. These are most likely the Titan model and they were made in at the very start of...
  2. K

History question: Was 60's Japanese tube gear viewed like Chinese gear is viewed now?

Right now, I'm listening to a pair of Pioneer (Fukuin) speakers built around 1960 or so. They are huge horn loaded enclosures. The build quality for both the drivers and the cabinets is pretty incredible. I think the cabinet work is actually somewhat better than many US cabinets of the period...
  3. K

Which Monoblocs to keep?

You will enjoy the Eico's in this setup! Others here will know more about the power handling requirements of the Bozaks, but I think the Eico's will work well if you continue to bi-amp with the Phillips. The great thing about the Eico amps, in addition to the basic build quality, are the...
  4. K

Dating a Thorens TD 124?

The Vinyl Engine (www.vinylengine.com) has the manual you seek for your tonearm. I'm pretty sure your 124 is from the early/mid 1960's.
  5. K

I was just looking for a record cabinet

This system is worthy of those drivers and also worthy of the Tannoy Reds mentioned by the OP.
  6. K

E.H. Scott model 16 - Now this here's some real vintage tube stuffs.

I had the chance to hear a McMurdo once, the only real competitor to E. H. Scott, it was an early FM unit with the big Jensen speaker in an art deco box. It looked and sounded superb!
  7. K

Nos Genalex KT88 Kt66s compared To Russian Genalex KT88s kt66

I don't have a set of the new Russian tubes, but I do have a set of the Saratov tubes that were made for Groove Tubes before the factory was shut down under shady circumstances. I also have a set of Marconi grey glass originals. Sonically, the Russian tubes don't have the same ability to...
  8. K

What's Your Favorite Pressing of Cream's "Wheels Of Fire"?

I have the best sounding copy of this record I have ever heard. It's a German first pressing on Polydor (pressed by deutsche grammophon). I actually had a chance to compare it to three clean American pressings (all foil/Atco) and this was a winner by a country mile. It's clean, clear and natural...
  9. K

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

I've had a similar experience, I found a 401 after my 301 was rehabbed. I much preferred the sound of the 401, so it stays, while the 301 was sold. The only bummer for me is that, in a cash crunch recently, I sold my SME 3012R. Luckily, I still have the 3009 version of the same arm and a humble...
  10. K

Pete Millett's Engineers Amp

I've used Auricaps in the past and I really like the improvements I've heard. I've done things both ways, using cheaper options (like Orange Drops) and the pricey caps. I think both work well depending on the application. I used the Auricaps in a very high quality amplifier from the 1960's.
  11. K

Marconi Osram love

Very good find. I'll be hunting for a quad of those in the not too distant future. My plan is to buy a bunch of used tubes until I find four that test similarly.
  12. K

Dedicated TT for Mono & 78s

You don't have to get p-mount cartridges for mono and 78 rpm. For 78 rpm, a standard (big) stylus can be mounted on a Stanton, Shure or Grado cartridge (available from each company for their particular cartridge). The Duals would work well for this purpose, but the headshells are hard to find...
  13. K

My dads old amp - any guesses? - Now with pictures!

I'm pretty sure we are looking at two power supplies, one for the preamp and another for the amplifier. The easiest way to tell one from the other is how they plug in to each other. The preamp power supply is likely to have a plug that is exclusive to it, to avoid confusion with the amplifier's...
  14. K

How Do You Know If You Have Enough Amp Power ...

It's a matter of how much distortion you get for a given volume level. Lower power amplifiers distort more easily at higher volumes.
  15. K

Cool, I look forward to them.
  16. K

new to me HK A50K integrated

I like the rust! I think you'll enjoy this project.
  17. K

I think a bunch of the controls can be successfully bi-passed. Somewhere around here, there is an FAQ on using Caig DeOxit to revive old pots. Unless they are physically damaged, they should be salvageable.
  18. K

Leak TL12 Plus rebuild help please ...

Generally, if there's a difference between the schematic and the unit itself, I stick with the values in the unit, because they've been 'proven.' As for everything else, I would let other experts here answer. Good luck, it should be a very good amplifier when you are done.
  19. K

If the iron is good, then your amp is totally worth a rebuild. In another thread, I just told the story of mine, which was thrown out a window, but survived in working order. Anyway, mod the thing for 6L6's, replace all of the caps and the selenium rectifier, and don't look back.
  20. K

HK A500 & speaker sensitivity.

I have an A50K (kit version mentioned above) which I use mostly as a headphone amp. It was thrown out a window into a dumpster. I obtained permission to retrieve it and brought it home. Amazingly, everything survived the fall from the window, so I brought it up with a variac and I've been using...
  21. K

Cool! I look forward to it. I have something sort of similar, but in a stereo configuration, although I think yours is somewhat better quality (better caps, separate power supplies and your output transformer is potted--mine are also Partridge).
  22. K

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

I have a 401 mounted in a heavy plinth and a Rega RB350. I bought the thing as a piece about eight years ago, mounted a Grado Reference Platinum, and have been lothe to change anything (except the cartridge) because it sounds so good!
  23. K

An amplifier/pre of this quality will make stereo seem inferior.
  24. K

Okay, who has the most turntables!

Or just the tt's that stuck around after I chased out all the others.
  25. K

Okay, who has the most turntables!

Yikes, I read through some of this thread and I've found that some folks own lots of turntables! Not unlike hoarding cats, though turntables don't pee on carpets, unlike cats. I have just two tt's, Thorens 124/SME 3009 Garrard 401/RB350 I just sold a Garrard 301/SME 3012R earlier this year.
Back
Top Bottom