Search results

1. R

A thread about cables for the discerning audiophile

One thing about fabbing or having your cables fabbed to custom lengths, is be realistic on this. I would at least add a couple inches to what you think you need. Could end up in trouble not doing this.
  2. R

A thread about cables for the discerning audiophile

Strange how no one mentioned cable length, as found this to be rather important. Was using cables of different lengths running all over the place. One day got off my duff, picked up some Radio Shack bulk gold cable, gold connectors, and fabbed everthing to custom lengths. Don't know why it took...
  3. R

technics SA-DA10

Not familier with that model, but when I decided to put together an HT set up in the other room, came accross a Technics SA-DX950 for a song, when Panasonic was Phasing out the Technics name. Not saying it's top of the line, but pretty darn good. Considering what I paid for the unit new in box...
  4. R

Computer audio

I listen to my share of music on my home home/office PC, with none of it streaming. I build my own computers, with it set up also as a TV. Hook a Dish network box to it, which also includes Sirius sat radio. Also using a Soundblaster audio card and one of the nicer Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 audio...
  5. R

Sherwood

The silver box inside is surely an impeadance matching transformer. Shewoods are not high end units, and gotta realize a good tuner itself, is many times the price of the whole Sherwood reciever. Tuner sections in these lower dollar units, have not been to good for years, and AM sectons has been...
  6. R

975 Gazillion WPC...

It's not uncommon for car amps to be rated 4 times the actual rms rating. Also car amps contain voltage inverter circuitry to step up the 12v input voltage several times. Also, car amp input is never 12v, but usually 13.6 or 14.4 volts of a running car. If you are going to run such an amp...
  7. R

vinyl for a new generation

I grew up on vynil before CD's came out, and thought is was ok. As my systems became bigger/more powerful, acoustic feedback became quite a problem. When CD's came out, I welcomed it with open arms, and don't miss vynil a bit. Gotta love those who think vynil is more of a natural playback...
  8. R

cleaning a big screen Sony?

Gotta agree, computer screen cleaner and cloth is probably the best way. Think the cleaning cloth used is something I'd be most worried about, as paper towling is actually quite abrasive. I have a spray cleaner and cloth, but see places like Wallmart have large wet wipes for this. Something like...
  9. R

Alternative to IKEA Expedit

This may not apply to what you're doing, but a good money saving idea. Had a basic home entertainment unit for the other room designed for a 27" crt TV. Cut the unit down, and now holds a 46" flat screen on top. Really didn't do this for money savings at the time, as looks pretty good. Heck, I...
  10. R

SAE Amplifier Replacement Fans

If the cooling fans are functionally fine, but noisy, thats the way they were designed, and I wouldn't replace them. I had a power amp with a cooling fan that was noisey, but was thermally controlled to run at a low speed most of the time. Low speed was really just a resistor in series, and...
  11. R

How bright is too bright for plasma?

Couple other things of mention, but sounds like you're on the the right track with a calibration disc. When I was shopping for 50" with my father, they did show different sets with different refletive level screens, and makes quite a difference. Also with my 46" being up a gainst a window, lots...
  12. R

Canadian tuner usable in USA?

Really wasn't sure which HD you were talking about, as HD radio really doesn't seem to be catching on here in the states. Have a Sony HD tuner in my bedroom, but unless I'm really wanting to listen to my news broadcasts and Basketball in HD stereo, of little interest to me.
  13. R

Netflix

Personally, I really like Netfix myself. I don't do any online streaming or gaming, but hard to beat several Blue Ray discs for $10 bucks a month. Find Net Flix's movie/actor look up invaluable. Do this all through the home/office computer, and rather have Blue Ray picture/sound quality...
  14. R

Canadian tuner usable in USA?

I live in the Detroit area, accross the border from Canada, and listen to Canadian FM channels in the car all the time. If you want to be a perfectionist, do know Canada uses a slightly different high frequency playback EQ than the US, but not much. Not sure of HD tv, but suspect it's very...
  15. R

Anybody use subwoofers as speaker stands?

My main living room music system uses large VMPS speakers, that easily trounces any powered sub I've ever heard. My family room HT set up has a 12" powered sub, and good for that purpose. Music bass integration on the larger living room system, calls the family room HT set up, a bad cousin at...
  16. R

Best AM/FM Tuner for AM

A tuner that was known for it's AM section, was a Dynaco AF-6. I never found an antenna that was good for both for for both AM and FM, so always ran a longwire in the attic for AM.
  17. R

Good attic antenna?

I have an RV RCA Mini State antenna with the FM trap jumped out in the attic, that works well. Also good for HD tv, so it's a keeper. I find the internal rotator invauable. Had no intention of buying it years ago, but was helping my brother out in a RS store he mananged, and found it in the back...
  18. R

Second subwoofer with bose cinemate 2.1

One thing you gotta realize, is Bose doesn't make a subwoofer, just bass modules for their small systems. So if you want low bass, you'll be needing to add a real subwoofer. My 5.1 HT system has in ceiling mounted rears, and 12" powered sub under a front lamp table. Really not much to see, and...
  19. R

Another Minimus 7 Convert

The Minimus 7's in my bedroom, I've owned since new. Just don't think they're very good out of the box. Maybe with some tweeking, but then they really aren't Minimus 7's anymore, are they.
  20. R

Another Minimus 7 Convert

Never really could see the Minimus 7 fuss myself, as have a pair in my bedroom, and ok with the bass and treble contols on the amp turned up. Was having trouble with the 3" sats on my computer Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 system, so tried the Minimus 7's from the bedroom. Were so bad compared to the...
  21. R

Opinions on inexpensive subwoofer

My main music system is of high powered seperates, and includes a Yamaha ambience unit to rear speakers to open up the room a bit. The Yamaha has all the advanced settings, but only use the basic settings at a low level. Also when I decided to do a seperate HT set up in the other room, kept it...
  22. R

Opinions on inexpensive subwoofer

Really not sure what to expect from a $100 sub, but for something to fill in the the low end on some Minimus 7 sats, might be ok for that that kind of application.
  23. R

Where do I go from here? (converting to separates)

I've been doing seperate audio equuipment for years, and never really thought of doing it any other way. Actualluy with seperates, it's easier switching every piece at a time, as needed.
  24. R

New Speakers, Reciever Getting Hot

Your newer speakers are probably a tougher load than your other ones, and most receivers don't have the output section with driving something like this very long. I gave up on this game years ago, and been using larger, seperate high powered power amps. Never any problems after this, and...
  25. R

Your speaker stands.

Depends on what kind on speakers you're talking, as my main music system uses large floor stander's, that don't need any stands. Have a small Roland powered PA set up I use for work presentations, and use some RS tubular stands for these. For my family room HT 6-1/2" speakers, screw speaker...
Back
Top Bottom