Search results

1. Pneumonic

I want a tub Preamp

Preamps are such a personal preference thingy but for phono staged preamps it's near impossible to beat the older designs. As such, I'd look into a MFA Magus, an Audible Illusions Modulus (II, III), or a Conrad Johnson (PV1, PV2, PV5, PV7), or a Counterpoint (SA3, SA5) or an older Audio Research...
  2. Pneumonic

Quicksilver 8417 Monoblocks converted for EL34

I've got a pair of 8417's that have been modded for 6550/KT series use plus upgraded w/ Black Gate/Auri C's and Riken R's. Been thinking of converting back to 8417's but these sound so damn good as they are I haven't been bothered, not that I look forward to trying to find a stash of 8417's...
  3. Pneumonic

Anyone familiar with this Quicksilver amp?

It says "Model - Mono Amp" but I am wondering if anyone can give me more specific info or experience with it? Thanks
  4. Pneumonic

So I told Her A Little Lie

When my wife asks me why I need another piece of audio gear I say for the same reason you need a 50th pair of shoes and matching purse for that new dress and necklace. She shrugs and leaves me be.
  5. Pneumonic

Have been offered two R2R decks .......

An Akai GX-280D and a Sony T-377 to bid on. Both work fine apparently. I have no idea how much these are worth. Can anyone offer up any advice on approx prices so that I don't lowball the guy. Assuming they work fine, are these decks even worthwhile grabbing? Thanks -Kerry
  6. Pneumonic

Need help ID'ing Audax/Polydax driver

Yep, kinda tough to see in the picture but magnifying glass shows it to be 4C as well. Been doing some other work so know the meter's fine. Stamping issues aside, I'm obviously pleased these all turned out to be 4 ohm units. Now, I'm ready to go with this project. Re-paint the cabs...
  7. Pneumonic

Remove the Polydax sticker from mine and they look the exact same. Mine must have been incorrectly stamped with 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm. Or incorrectly wired to 4 ohms instead of 8 ??????
  8. Pneumonic

That's the odd thing about mine. The one that is legible is clearly marked with an 8 omega sign but measures 3.6. Mis-stamped perhaps?
  9. Pneumonic

Yes, DC ohms. They all measured between 3.5 and 3.7.
  10. Pneumonic

Ooops, forgot to mention. The drivers measured 4 ohms and are not the 8 that it appears they are on the stamping. So, I have all 4 ohm drivers.
  11. Pneumonic

OK, I have camera in hand and have been taught how to use it (sort of anyhow). I am able to take pictures "up close" and without any flash. Now, what angles and such shall I post? BTW, I will probably take you up on your DW offer, Marc. Thanks.
  12. Pneumonic

Hey, Bart. I used up all of my brain cells figuring out this audio game and have little left over for the visual side of things. So, without my wife in tow, my picture taking skills leave much to be desired. I shall ask her politely if she can teach me how to use her camera .... she might even...
  13. Pneumonic

Hey, buddy. I didn't know you frequented this place. I should have figured I guess <wink> I have spoken with Jim and will get these to him. He wasn't sure of the driver designations. He's got surround kit for the 10' and he's got grill cloth left over from doing Erik's so I'll get him to do...
  14. Pneumonic

upward firing tweet
  15. Pneumonic

16. Pneumonic

......... for some reason my other uploads (crossover and upward firing tweet) have failed. I'll play around and see what I can do.
  17. Pneumonic

Thanks for the continued advice, fellas. I did buy the three 8" woofers and have included a picture of one of them. I may also have a line on some 4 ohm ones as well. I also have included some other pictures, including x'over picture, Bart. I see a bunch of electrolytic caps in that...
  18. Pneumonic

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

I would venture to guess that the only reason I'd sell my Martin Logan CLSs is if they ended up in a room that was too small to allow them the breathing space they require to perform the way few other speakers can.
  19. Pneumonic

Wow, thanks bakes and Bart. Much appreciated. I've got info on the two drivers. They were taken from a pair of Angstrom's. The one is stamped HD20B25H 8 CP12 .... there is an omega (ohm) symbol after the 8 indicating impedance value no doubt. Below it is printed CN 106TN The other one is...
  20. Pneumonic

Your Radford story is one I have heard repeated countless times now. I traded mine for some Classe DR gear many moons ago and have always considered going back. Most likely will some day. The Watson Labs speakers that this Audax driver is going into sound quite spectacular when they are...
  21. Pneumonic

Speaker Finishes

Speaking of speaker finishes, has anyone had any luck re-finishing vinyl veneer? How about changing the color of vinyl veneer? A friend suggested I use Melamine paint and paint over vinyl veneer to clean things up and change the color in the process. Anyone done this before?
  22. Pneumonic

The pair I'm looking into are being pulled from a pair of Angstrom speakers and are local so I'm keeping all of my extremities crossed. Gordan, thanks for the offer. If the ones in the Angstrom's aren't right I may take you up on your offer if you don't mind. Radfordman, I had a STA 25...
  23. Pneumonic

Many thanks, gentlemen. I may have found myself a pair ............ Nice amp Radfordman. Brings back fond memories.
  24. Pneumonic

Hi, I am attempting to rejuvenate an older pair of Watson Labs speakers (http://www.dayton-wright.com/WATSON-7_.html) that use Polydax/Audax drivers. I am missing one of the 8" (210mm) drivers and am looking around to see if anyone might have one available to sell to me. Unfortunately, no...
  25. Pneumonic

Problem with Muse 100 power amp

Bump if I may, please.
Back
Top Bottom