Search results

1. Grayhouse

Mach Two Speakers

I think you'll like 'em Ralph...I do mine. Like jamison says, just disconnect the woofs to test. You gotta pull and disconnect to refoam anyhow so what the hey, kill two elephants with one stone.
  2. Grayhouse

Altec Model 19s arrive home

For 300 bucks I would call that one hell of an excellent score and then some. I have always wanted a pair of those since I was teenager. Way to go ARguy :thmbsp:
  3. Grayhouse

Merry Christmas - new speakers without buying any !

Without a dought what you put into the room can affect acoustics, Ken. Since I moved my 3a's into the main room I have noticed how the stageing has really opend up on them. Where as before the bass was a bit overpowering in the bedroom (there's an understatement) they are now just about perfect...
  4. Grayhouse

budget for 1 spkr - Advent large, KLH six or Boston a100?

A friend of mine recently aquired a pair of large advents and a pair of KLH model 17's (I know they're not 6's) I wasn't terribly impressed with the advents (surprised) though the bass was a bit lower and extended the imageing was nothing compared to the KLH's. The 17's were far smoother and...
  5. Grayhouse

Grunt work

I feel your pain Velocewest. I've torn into a couple of boat anchors, I mean AR's to clean those dreaded pots. I should tell you that deoxit alone will not clean the pots though they may work a little better at first but it will only be temporary at best. You have to disasemble the pot and use a...
  6. Grayhouse

Bizzare AR High Res Resistance

I'm reading just shy of 4 ohms (3.9) on my AR-3a's. BTW: what is the "High Res" version? I can't recall ever seeing one of those :scratch2:
  7. Grayhouse

Prefered Glue for surrounds

Do you have your AR-14's, djcslice? From what I understand you are gonna be replacing the mismatched woofers am I correct? Go ahead and remove that one woofer that has no surround left on it and you can use that one to play with so you can get a feel of what we are talking about. Set the speaker...
  8. Grayhouse

Having very long fingers helps I guess. I just think it would be best to keep it very simple for him untill he develops the confidence to move into other more elaborate techniques.
  9. Grayhouse

Just keep it simple djcslice. For your first refoam I would avoid complex test tones, or any other outside electronic signals. For one thing it will allow you to devolop a feel between you and the speaker and thats what you want to develop right now. Outside stimuli will only insulate you from...
  10. Grayhouse

It's really pretty easy refoaming without shims of course this all depends on the tolarences between the VC and motor assy. spider wear, and cone condition as well. That aside refoaming without shims is more a matter of feel. Once you have the surround glued and set to the cone and before you...
  11. Grayhouse

The main thing you need to concern yourself with is that you get a kit that will work with the size AR drivers that you're refoaming. AR had some pretty funny ideas when it came to measureing there woofers. This is first and formost the most critical issue you need to concern yourself with...
  12. Grayhouse

AR-3s for $50.

I'm kinda haveing a little sellers remorse myself, but like they say no pain no gain, and I still have all the funds from them just waiting untill I find some speakers that I really, really can't live without, but damn, they were purty wer'nt they :yes:
  13. Grayhouse

How Hot Should it Get?!?

That's very strange...but hey, with the price of home heating oil on the rise this coming winter just fire up that stereo more often :D
  14. Grayhouse

Looks like something Charivari might buy...

I saw those. The tweeter array kinda reminded me of the core assembly of that homemade nuclear bomb that kid had made for his science project in the movie The Manhattan Project.
  15. Grayhouse

AR-3s for $50.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that that they are rarer than the finished cabs. When I got mine they were painted with about 7 coats of the God awfullest colors you ever saw. It was quite a job, but they turned out really nice in the end. I sold mine because the very next day...
  16. Grayhouse

CL find of the day :)

Oooh! Psychedelic man. All they need is a black light and some Greatfull Dead on the turntable. Some heavy green shag carpet wouldn't hurt either :beatnik:
  17. Grayhouse

AR-3s for $50.

Excellent score, wank :yes: It makes me kinda miss my unfinished 3's now, but I was paid very well for them so I can't complain. The funny thing is is that the unfinished pine models seem to be worth more than the finished cabs so it would well be worth finding out if the other cab you have is...
  18. Grayhouse

new acoustic research woofer????

The AR-2ax, 8, 12 and 14 all shared the same woofer.
  19. Grayhouse

This looks to becoming one well traveled road. You have to forget the fact that visually they are not an exact match. The only real important issue is that they are "both" AR woofers. Looking at your picture, the woofer on the right was the woofer that was offered in the AR-14 in 1976. The...
  20. Grayhouse

Thanks for the pic. Was the speaker without foam always that way? What I'm asking is did you remove any of the foam. or was it like that when you got it? You never want to use a speaker that has no foam left to support the cone. Not only will it will sound horible in that condition, but you can...
  21. Grayhouse

If the foam is bad the driver will deffinently sound a little sick, but it should in no way cause any permanent damage unless you try to drive it to hard. If the VC was bad I'm pretty sure you would be able to hear it. As long as there is no distortion coming from the woofer I think it's fine...
  22. Grayhouse

How to Clean Tone Controls?

The only way to really clean the pots on AR speakers are to fully disassemble the pot. Sorry, but there really is no other way. This little tutorial should help you out. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42588&highlight=ar-3
  23. Grayhouse

As I said before Layne Audio does sell replacement drivers for $79 but they are very difficult to get in touch with. However, I would suggest you re-foam the speakers you have before shelling out money for a new driver. Remember there is the chance that the new driver you buy will not match the...
  24. Grayhouse

djcslice, why is it that you need a new woofer? Is the woofer dead, or did you find that the woofer that came with the speaker was a non AR unit? Also, who was it that quoted you a price of $100? Layne Audio has one for $79 but trying to get a hold of Layne is like :deadhorse
  25. Grayhouse

Acoustic Research AR-14 Good? Bad?

What makes you think that it has been replaced with a non AR unit? Does it look different than the other woofer? The part# for tha AR-14 woofer should be 200004-2. I would suggest that you pull both woofers and examine and compare the two. How much surround is left on the woofer that needs...
Back
Top Bottom