Search results

1. G

Thank you Tom "Catrafter" Williams

Tom is a master at restoration, and a consummate craftsman. From the responses, he has clearly been a resource for others involved in restoring old, but great, gear. But more importantly, Tom is a gentleman of the old school. In all of the above areas, he has set the bar high for those who wish...
  2. G

The Catrafter Experience

I have been remiss in not posting sooner, but chalk up one more VERY satisfied Catrafter customer. Tom restored a 2265B for me this past January (2014.) I titled this post “The Catrafter Experience” because that is the best way to describe it. You don’t simply send Tom a piece to restore and...
  3. G

Anybody made a boom box out of a car stereo?

Back in the day, I ran various car stereos into various speakers using a car battery charger hooked across an old battery as a "filter." I have no idea how smooth the power was, but I at least had the right idea!
  4. G

Some Help from you Experts :)

dizturb3d, Two questions: Why so freaking loud? Do you know what the term dynamic range means?
  5. G

Some Help from you Experts :)

If you do what you say you do, and did what you say you did, I suspect your hearing is not what it once was. Are you sure you're not messing with us just a bit for the fun of it? Somebody on the Marantz forum is resurrecting a truly beat up 2252B where someone took a vibrating engraver and...
  6. G

You Have to Train Yourself to Hear the Noise!

Wigwam, Your post is timely as I am preparing to do a bunch of vinyl to digital myself. Seems to me you (we) have three choices: 1) Trust that the click processing software is not taking out hamonics, etc. that you (we) want left in. That one is up to each of us. 2) Remove manually anything...
  7. G

Vinyl to digital continued

Continuing my vinyl to digital project, I took the advice of some very knowledgeable folks and acquired the ART Phono Plus (Sweetwater gets stuff to you quick!) I did talk to a person at ART, and they suggested that while they have a lot of faith in their phono pre, it might be worthwhile to...
  8. G

2238b

All that is correct information. FWIW, I have seen people make that connection inside the cabinet, thus defeating the automatic disconnect when a plug in inserted into the MAIN IN jacks. So it can and does happen.
  9. G

A friend made up these sign's for me

I'm not sure of the technology involved, but is there a possibility here for restoring lettering on faceplates or even making new faceplates. Maybe thin plastic with brushed aluminum backing? Just thinking out loud. If there are possibilities, the General Audio Discussion forum would want...
  10. G

So I joined the marantz club today.

It seems when you compare different brands, you have to consider a number of things: - Relative power. You cannot put 20 WPC up against 100 WPC. - Condition. Units need to be up to snuff. - Vintage. It seems many brands changed their "sound" from the early to late 1970's. Those years might...
  11. G

Preamp comparison, method OK?

Perhaps this will get more responses in the "General Audio Discussion" forum. How do I ask the mods to move it?
  12. G

A modest scroe

I can see your point. Perhaps "resellers thwarted" was too short a phrase that did not convey my complete opinion on the matter. There is certainly nothing illegal about buying gear for the sole purpose of reselling it. I guess it is considered immoral in some people's belief systems, but I...
  13. G

2252B Good, Bad, Ugly. Life support

I have three units from that series, 2238B, 2265B x 2. All three have vellum in the meters. One of my 2265Bs has vellum behind the tuning scale. It has blue numbers, but the "words" AM FM PHONO AUX TAPE are white with red LEDs next to them to indicate which is "on." The other 2265B has...
  14. G

A modest scroe

Resellers thwarted. Seller gets 2x asking price. You get a great deal on some gear. What's not to love about this deal?!?! Outstanding!
  15. G

Well, yes, I am trying to determine which one I like best with my equipment. But I don't trust my "audio memory", and the closer to things are the less faith I have. Thus, whenever possible, I set up A to B tests where I can make rapid back and forth comparisons. Sometimes this is not...
  16. G

I hope this the correct forum to ask this question. I want to compare the phono preamp in my restored Marantz 2265B receiver with a new ART Phono Plus. I do best with A to B comparisons. This is how I propose to do it. First, I capture the signal from the turntable with “piggyback”...
  17. G

Vinyl to digital suggestions please

Not trying to continue the thread artificially, but wondering if there are any last comments before I pull the trigger and spend money? Thanks again everyone!
  18. G

Real? Pleasant? Both? System Goals.

Is the OP's question if we want something (which if I understand is music that sounds as good at low volume levels as it does at higher levels) or how to achieve it? If the former, yes I think it would be great, and I would take advantage of it often. If the latter, can we continue without...
  19. G

Vinyl to digital suggestions please

Thanks again to all who chimed in. It has occurred to me that one really good thing about a separate device is I am not wedded to any particular computer and its internal DAC/ADC. As we all know, computers tend to have relatively short lives compared to much of our other gear, audio gear...
  20. G

Best Yard Sale Score! - Marantz 2238B - 8/3/13

I'm glad you found a nice piece of gear, and I hope you enjoy it and getting into good sounding gear in general. I am sorry to hear about your health issues and I truly hope your health improves. I mean that sincerely. But please realize that if you become interested in doing some repair...
  21. G

Onkyo returns to stereo hi-fi roots

Everyone likes different things, but this one hit me right between the eyes. Someone should get some sort of visual design award and a raise for that M-5000R!
  22. G

Are you listening to music, or the sound of it??

Doesn't this sound remarkably like Marantz, the 10B, etc.?
  23. G

2252B Good, Bad, Ugly. Life support

I am way impressed. It is amazing what people throw away that is pretty good, and then you go and take something that is truly beat to hell and it is making music . . . maybe even "crazy loup" music! Props to you!
  24. G

Sansui at church rummage sale

I'd have been all over that deal. I just spent $30 on a haircut. Wife and I go out to eat and spend ??? depending on how fancy. For what you paid the gear was almost free.
Back
Top Bottom