Search results

1. dodog

Controlling a Raspberry Pi with a laptop, via ethernet cable?

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 that I configured with Volumio, only to find out my wifi is a bit spotty in my basement. Until I can figure out a way to string an ethernet cable through the ductworks, that dream is on hold. I currently have a receiver and a CD player that I use with headphones at work...
  2. dodog

Studer, Ampex and McIntosh

Usually the University surplus has old VCRs and such. This is a bit of a surprise. Not my sale. No idea if the price is legit, I just enjoy looking at the pics. I'm trying to figure out which dept. on campus would have had this equipment...
  3. dodog

Raspberry Pi and WiFi..... issues

I imaged an SD card with Volumio, connected an ethernet cable to my router and fired it up. Success! However, this will be in another room and I'll need to do WiFi. I edited my etc/network/interfaces per these instructions (similar to many other sites)...
  4. dodog

ryanward84, great seller

Purchased a Stones "Hot Rocks" SACD set from Ryan. Came promptly, exactly as described. I couldn't be happier. Thanks, Ryan!
  5. dodog

(Another) Recommend some Classical music thread

When I run across decent looking Classical CD's I try to snag them. Problem is, I don't know that the "good" brands are or even, really, what the good recordings, composers, etc. It's like 20 different bands covered Led Zeppelin, for 50 different recording companies. :) Where to start? So...
  6. dodog

CNC Service?

I can't think of how to ask the correct question to get Google to give me what I want. Perhaps someone here can help. Does anyone know of a pay-for/DIY CNC service? A place where you could upload a diagram or file then pay them to CNC the part for you? For example, I've thought about making...
  7. dodog

Advice on Monitor Audio, please

I was in Madison for Tday and my #1 priority (besides seeing family) was to make it to Strictly Discs. On a whim, I went across the street to Paragon Video. Like many AK'ers, I have way too much "stuff," including vintage speakers. I've had AR, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, JBL, Advent, etc...
  8. dodog

A fascinating look at the creation of the CD

I stumbled upon this article today. I had read about the CD-length being due to Beethoveen's 9th, but I never knew why the disc was the size it was. It's interesting that many of the decisions (e.g. sampling rate at 44.1 kHZ) for the format were locked on to the 3/4" U-Matic tape that the...
  9. dodog

Klownschool is tops

Recently purchased some nice ~rare Japanese and UK pressings of some CDs I've been looking for for a long time. The transaction was very pleasant and the items arrived fast and well packed. I wouldn't hesitate to do business again!
  10. dodog

grillebilly is a model AK'er (and person)

Bought some Bob Brozmann CD's from grillebilly and they arrived better than described. To top it off, he dug up some of my old threads and included, what looks to be, every Pogues CD and Shane McGowan project, gratis. Very unexpected and just a classy thing. It's worth noting, he gave me the...
  11. dodog

Proper OEM Audio Technica ATH-M50s earpad replacement?

Can anyone recommend a good place for these replacement parts? I don't mind going to ebay, and I don't mind cheap, I just want to make sure I'm getting a proper replacement pad and not a cheap knock-off that won't fit. Anyone have any experience with this?
  12. dodog

drabina is a great seller

Bought a VU meter kit from Drabina. It was as described, very well back and prompt communication. Thanks again, drabina!
  13. dodog

The final rounds of the Led Zeppelin remasters...

I was in my Best Buy (yes, I know, ha ha) and there was an end-cap display with: In Through The Out Door Presence Coda I realize these aren't most people's favorites but I hadn't heard much of any hype to the leadup of these final releases. It was a pleasant surprise me. Of note...
  14. dodog

blhagstrom is a top-notch seller

I bought some CDs from Blaine off of BT on Friday and they arrived Monday, well packed and better than advertised. A very smooth and nice transaction. Thanks, Blaine!
  15. dodog

classic carl is a great seller

This should have been posted MUCH earlier but better late than never. I've bought two CDs from him and he's a class-act to work with! The second CD shipped even before I could pay him. A great guy and a great seller (with the best Avatar on this site!). Thanks, Carl!
  16. dodog

Tame Impala ~ Currents

Anyone else get this? I finally got my preorder from Amazon yesterday (could have picked it up locally the week before.... so much for "pre" ordering it. At least they refunded me a few bucks with price matching... rant over) and have listened to it a few times now. It's much different than...
  17. dodog

Any sources for good looking SPST switches?

I know, it sounds dumb. I'm looking for an AC-rated SPST switch, maybe 125 VAC, 3-5A (5A would be great). I see plenty of the circular or rectangular rockers but they all look boring. I want flash, I want style! No, I'm building a preamp and the power switch will be on the front. I'm trying...
  18. dodog

Thumbs up for baco99

Bought a set of Advent tweeters just last week. Shipped warpspeed, well-packed. A pain-free and pleasant transaction. Thanks baco!
  19. dodog

Front Panel Express (need some advice)

I'm building a preamp and am working up a layout to a 10mm thick aluminum piece from a Hifi2000 (modushop) case. It's already anodized. I'm OK with the layout and the .fpd file I need to create. I was even able to create an .svg file of the engraving in Inkscape and import it in as well. So...
  20. dodog

Ry Cooder Soundtracks CD-bundle (PopMarket)

Just a heads-up... PopMarket has a 7-CD bundle of Ry Cooder's soundtracks for a screaming deal (no affiliation): http://www.popmarket.com/ry-cooder-soundtracks-7cd/details/32777969?feature-name=today-s-deal&feature=32584942 Paris, Texas; Crossroads & The Long Riders is worth the price...
  21. dodog

Which version of Polk Audio Monitor 5?

How does one tell which version (a, b, c) of Monitor 5 they have? I have a set I picked up a while back and the serial plate only has a "5" then a set of numbers. Is that enough to determine the version? I thought I read that the tweeter might be different for various versions but I can't...
  22. dodog

Ty Segall. Wow.

Late to the game as usual. I was in our local record store a week ago and heard some great tunes. Worked up the courage to ask what was playing and was told: Ty Segall ~ Manipulator All copies had sold out a week before and they weren't sure when they'd get more in. Jumped on Amazon and...
  23. dodog

Switch rating for mains power?

I'm building a preamp and need to install a simple SPST switch for the power. Since I'm switching the hot/live wire from IEC to fuse, to switch, to transformer, I need a switch that can handle mains power. However, I don't want to kill myself and don't want something underrated. Finding a...
  24. dodog

Recommend a (cheap) digital radio/streamer

A friend asked me the following: I don't know his budget, but he's a grad student so I'm sure that cheaper is better. This is outside my realm of expertise. I'm guessing that a unit with built in speakers would be preferred. Any recommendations?
  25. dodog

Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with music formats?

I love LPs, cassettes, CD, etc. They all fill a space and a time in my life. However, I find myself stuck on a format, often for months at a time. Lately I've been scouring thrifts and music stores for early 1980's CD pressings and have loved my Rotel and Sony ES players. Heck, even the...
Back
Top Bottom