Search results

1. D

Telex 8 track changer

File this under tape as it doesn't fit anywhere else. Dig the Telex 8 Track tape changer in action. Amazing to watch even if the music is cringe worthy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvBExuLdZY0
  2. D

Red Dawn!

The original was just plausible enough to be believable but even then they had to set up some unlikely scenarios to make it work. The collapse of NATO a slew of communist revolutions in Central America and Mexico renewed Soviet expansionism. The North Koreans would have trouble invading and...
  3. D

Favorite SNL skits

My favorite will always be the William Shatner "Get a life" speech at the Star Trek convention because it is so true in every way. I also loved "The Amazing Colossal President" skit where Jimmy Carter visits Three mile island and grows to enormous size.
  4. D

Is SW still around?

WBCQ in Maine broadcasts some quality programming. It is owned and run by the genius behind Radio New York International in the 80's. He said that as bad as the FCC was to him in those days (invading his ship and towing it to shore to drive him off the air) they have been nothing but cooperative...
  5. D

Songs ruined by popular associations...

How about the very unlikely use of "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones being used to sell Volkswagons!
  6. D

Mister Phelps, your mission, Jim, should you decide to accept it....

When they updated that show in the 80's Jim Phelps slid a mini disc with words and pictures into a player that did not at that time exist. It still smoked when it was finished playing If they remade the series today Jim Phelps would get updates on his I-phone or he would get a CD that he would...
  7. D

What Is The Absolute Saddest Song You Know?

"Circles" by Eric Bibb about a man who loses everything in his divorce, most heartbreakingly his children, and ends up as a suicide off a local bridge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_0T05sFX0 As a divorced man myself no other song ever captured the entire total sadness and sense of loss...
  8. D

The '80s Playlist

How about the albums Linda Ronstadt put out with Nelson Riddle like "Round Midnight?" When I was married we used that for "baby making" music.
  9. D

Your "Go-To" Album?

Party Starter: the Bad Plus "For all I Care" Impressive stereo: Telarc CD "The Big Picture" with the Cincinnati Pops. Movie themes. For Apollo 13 they begin the sequence with the actual NASA recording of the original Apollo 13 lift off! It really tests the limits of any system. Solitary Music...
  10. D

Musician cameos in film: A List

The Circle Jerks in "Repo Man"
  11. D

College Radio Stations

WVUD at the University of Delaware has a wide variety of great shows. I am fortunate that I live close enough to get WXPN from the University of Pennsylvania and WRTI, Temple's station on a repeater out of Wilmington, Delaware. On the other hand Rowan University's radio station seems to be...
  12. D

The official Music score thread

I just scored the three CD "`Ella Fitzgerald sings the George and Ira Songbook" for three bucks! It is in perfect shape and looks like it was rarely or never played. best bargain I've found at Good will in quite a while.
  13. D

A great new MOG discovery!

They are quite good. I bought one of their albums as a birthday present for my son mainly because of the penguin connection. My son loves anything to do with penguins. We were blown away by how good the album was.
  14. D

R.I.P Davy Jones

I am playing their first album. They were a much better band then they get credit for. RIP Davy -- you were way too young
  15. D

Anyone like Big Score Movie Soundtracks?

Another one that grabbed me was the soundtrack to "That thing you do" the conceit of the album is that it was produced by the fictional record company headed by Tom Hank's character in the film and the songs were all released by this fictional company around 1960-1962. Although modern...
  16. D

Anyone like Big Score Movie Soundtracks?

Although it gets played to death during baseball season. Randy Newman's soundtrack for "The Natural" deserves a serious listen. It has been compared to Gershwin and captures the time period of the 1930's that the movie is set in perfectly. my favorite track is "The mind is a powerful thing."...
  17. D

Favourite TV Show Theme songs

I just finished listening to "The Time Tunnel" as part of the series of releases of the Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen series and dang if that theme doesn't rock.
  18. D

James Bond 007 You Only Live Twice..The best one?

I am of the opinion that had "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" had starred anyone other than George Lazenby the film today would be considered on of the classic films of the 1960's and not "just" a great Bond film. Sort of like "Help" is considered a classic piece of 60's filmmaking and not...
  19. D

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Ramones Mania on cassette testing out the new headphones I got for Christmas!
  20. D

Christmas Music, What are you playing?

Not really music but an old episode of "The Shadow" Joey's Christmas Story. From a CD collection I picked up a few years ago.
  21. D

8-track craze will it ever happen

8 Track sound quality was not >that< bad. What was bad was everything else about the format except its portability. Unlike cassettes which keep playing for decades with proper care, 8 tracks degrade quickly and are hard to repair when they do break. I grew up on 8 tracks. There was a time when...
  22. D

Christmas Music, What are you playing?

I just played Weird Al's The Night Santa Went Crazy and Christmas ad Ground zero. Perfect antidote to the sugary stuff piped into every public place this time of year.
  23. D

I've been patient!

I got one for around that price at my local Good will. It hangs proudly on my wall in my listening area although I don't listen to tapes that often.The ones I like to display are in my Napa.
  24. D

What's missing from radio these days...

One of the best books i read on this topic is "Something in the Air: Radio, Rock, and the Revolution That Shaped a Generation" by Marc Fisher. Fisher traces the history of radio over the last fifty years and concludes that today's problems with radio are a direct consequence of its former...
  25. D

Criterion blu ray night

Terrific Film! The transfer is terrific with only a little degrading. I love pre-code Hollywood films,
Back
Top Bottom