Search results

1. Ghost Fish

Would a "better" power conditioner have saved this tube?

A couple of weeks ago I was running my Heathkit W2M mono blocks(built by @zackthedog :thumbsup:) and experienced a power outage. A couple days later I turned the amps on and noticed that one amp and power supply didn't light up/transmit sound. After some testing I realized that the GZ34 was...
  2. Ghost Fish

Looking for a tech to restore a pair of Heathkit W-2M

I picked up a couple amps at an auction and I don't have a local tech these days so I figured I might as well get these shipped direct to someone, then ship them one more time to me. I'm hoping to find someone who can do more than just replace parts listed in the schematic. Does anybody have...
  3. Ghost Fish

My set up

OK, I've never done one of these so I thought that now might be a good time. Crazy to think how far I've come (and my system) since I joined AK just over 6! years ago. I started with a Sansui 4400, a junk turntable, and some Acoustic Research speakers (M3? I think(they were actually pretty...
  4. Ghost Fish

JBL 4623 Cabaret PA speakers

I got some new speakers! Pic from the web but mine look just like this Does anybody have experience with these? I'm wondering if these are suitable for home use, I don't have a PA or an amp that uses 1/4" outputs. Haven't opened em up yet but likely has a 2402 tweeter and E130 driver...
  5. Ghost Fish

Can't believe I missed this

[/IMG] Ugh... would have loved to snag that "thornes"
  6. Ghost Fish

Dynaco Pas 3X intermittent sound

It plays fine for a bit then all of the sudden the sound gets muffled and scratchy, then it might come back and sound fine again. I swapped the tubes (actually not the rectifier) in and out but got no change. Here is the fun part, when I give the unit a light smack on the side the sound goes...
  7. Ghost Fish

Arcade Fire - Reflektor - Album release and full length video

Has anybody else heard/watched this yet? I'm loving it, really big step forward for an already talented and successful band. Here is a link to the full length album and the world's longest (85 minutes) music video. This was released by the band and the audio seems pretty nice...
  8. Ghost Fish

mono or stereo?

I'm trying to resist...
  9. Ghost Fish

odd heathkit

apparently the transformer on the left is an Acrosound and the pre is a heathkit. not sure about anything else. what do you think? not sure if it is working.
  10. Ghost Fish

Learning/Practice Guitar Software - Any favorites?

I've been playing for a few years and I'm in a major rut so I'm wondering if there is some software out there in the wild blue that might improve and inform my playing? I'm self taught (untaught) and need to "learn" just what the hell I'm doing. It can be difficult to search for good software...
  11. Ghost Fish

Pioneer PL-A25 - platter suspension question

I'm trying to bring this table back from the dead but haven't had much luck so far. The current issue is that the platter won't stay suspended, instead it slowly sinks down till it makes contact with the plinth. Not very helpful for testing. I've attached photos of the platter and a view...
  12. Ghost Fish

Found some Altec Horns!

And they work! And I've been in the market for a set of horns! And I got em for cheeeeeep. And I wasn't even looking for speakers! I'm gonna go buy myself a drink:banana:
  13. Ghost Fish

For the true Marantz fans

You can't be a real collector without one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/271124754309?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 guaranteed to "add a nicer euphonic sonic flavor to your listening experience." seems worth it to me:D
  14. Ghost Fish

Is my woofer dead?

Is my woofer dead? Dynaco A25xl I've been noticing that one of my Dynaco A25xl was quieter for a little while so I finally got around to recapping them thinking this might solve the problem. It didn't.:no: one of my drivers is barely putting out any sound, it does seem to be audible but...
  15. Ghost Fish

Beats alternative

Luckily I went home for Christmas this year and I was able to intercept the Beats HD headphones that were intended for my little brother. Kicking a dead horse here but wow, I was really surprised how extremely shitty they sounded. And for 200$! what a racket.:no: I'm looking for Over...
  16. Ghost Fish

New to me Dynaco Pas 3

So I picked up this Pas 3 and St-70 today and I was wondering about the Pas 3. Haven't fired it up on the Variac yet but probably will tomorrow, is there anything special I need to know here? I know regular tube amps need a load (speakers connected) but how about a preamp? It has a tag...
  17. Ghost Fish

brian jonestown massacre - Aufheben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJiD54iIYrU I'm really digging this record, has anybody else heard it yet? it is on Spotify http://open.spotify.com/album/63XqaziPkNvU0DgABaitR1
  18. Ghost Fish

DIY Horns - Anybody try ceramic?

I've got a pair JBL D130 woofers in large wooden cabs and I've been thinking about making some horns to go along with them. Wood is the obvious choice and I do have some woodworking skills (and tools) but wait, I suddenly remember that I'm a potter. I pot. and now I really love the idea of...
  19. Ghost Fish

Pilot SA-232 Lives Again

Finally... I got me some tubes:music: And they sound fantastic:D Clear, no hum, detailed, intimate, more adjectives,,,etc I picked up a Pilot console a few weeks ago seen here --- http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=426689 and decided to bring in the 232 to a local tech...
  20. Ghost Fish

GZ34/5AR4 - Advice/Recommendation Needed

So I've got a Pilot SA-232 getting refurbished by a local tech and the only tube that I'm missing is the 5AR4 rectifier. How important is the 5AR4 to the overall sound? Should I go all out and get a nice vintage one or settle for a new one? I've seen that JJ makes one for about 16$. Is...
  21. Ghost Fish

Shindo Western Electric 300B

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2902594860.html I sent an email a few days ago but got no response. I'm wondering if it is spam?
  22. Ghost Fish

Brand new Pilot C-1090 Console

Well new to me at least! :banana::banana: Picked it up via a Craigslist estate sale for $100 and it appears to be intact. A couple of el84 tubes had fallen out of the preamp? unit but they are almost all there. I haven't pulled it yet to check the tubes but I did spot one Ampex...
  23. Ghost Fish

Quick Interconnect Question

So I'm about to use these component video cables as interconnects for my turntable and just want to make sure they look good before I solder them into place. The interconnects they are replacing have a braided copper center wire and this one is solid, will that be ok? maybe an improvement...
  24. Ghost Fish

Thorens TD 166 MK11 - Dead in the water

So I bought this table off the list a while back and it worked fine at first, tested it, seemed fine and put it aside. I went back to it about a month later and it had stopped working completely, when I lifted the tonearm into position the platter would give a little budge but that was about it...
  25. Ghost Fish

New Shure M97xE right channel sounds bad

So I've been using the needle for a few days now with a new Technics headshell and I've been intermittently been hearing some major weirdness on the right channel. The sound Basically the highs sound really fuzzy almost like they are distorting or clipping :no: When I swap out my new...
Back
Top Bottom