Search results

1. Bob_in_OKC

Technician put these values on my preamp tubes - What do they represent?

I'm interested in finding out what the values written on these tubes, mostly as a learning experience. Maybe a little also to see if they were fairly represented by the seller. I bought them new, with the hope they might help resolve a noise the integrated amp was making. I eventually sent...
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Scratchy sputtering sounds from left side of amp

The amp is an Audio Research CA50. The controls are knobs, but not rotary switches and pots. Two sets of power tubes and two sets of preamp tubes swapped out but the problem is the same with either set. A technician who I believe to be very good replaced the power tube sockets in an attempt...
  3. Bob_in_OKC

Can't decide about the Audio Research PH5, unheard

I've been thinking about picking up a locally-advertised Audio Research PH5 for what seems to be a nice enough price. I suspect it will be gone before long. I think my Benz cartridge's output of 0.4 mV is going to be just a bit low for the PH5 and my Dynavector 20XH perhaps quite a bit high...
  4. Bob_in_OKC

Is your collection too big to move?

I expect to move next autumn, but only a few miles away. The new place will be roughly the same size, and will have sufficient space for my record collection. But it got me to wondering - How much is too much to move? I figure the movers can get the furniture and decor items. I'll rent a van...
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Dual 1229 - A bit of noise

I just noticed that while my Dual 1229 turns it makes a bit of a chattering noise that reminds me of an old electric clock. It is totally consistent - doesn't come and go, and doesn't change. Maybe it's coming from the plastic cam wheel? Anyone here know of a lubrication point that might...
  6. Bob_in_OKC

Added the Elicit to my little Rega collection

My Audio Research CA50 integrated will be taking a little break while I try out life with the Rega Elicit. I have been somewhat interested in an amp in the previous Rega enclosure since not long after I got a Rega CD player. That interest started in the summer heat. The power supply for the...
  7. Bob_in_OKC

McKinney TX estate sale

I wish I could make it. VPI turntable, Clearaudio record cleaning machine, high end tube amps. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/gms/4680677369.html
  8. Bob_in_OKC

Do you like modern houses?

I'm curious about the average person's feelings on modern houses, especially mid-century modern and current modern design trends. This is as opposed to the prevalent traditional designs that generally lean toward historic references like Colonial, Tudor, etc. In our neighborhood, we are in...
  9. Bob_in_OKC

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter died today. Interesting story that inspired Dylan's "Hurricane".
  10. Bob_in_OKC

Earnest money, REO properties, just thinking...

So I'm looking into buying a foreclosure house. It's a dump. I want to remove it and build a new one. The idea is to stay within the general size of the other houses in the neighborhood - maybe 2,000 SF - so I can't pay much for the property and still make the financing work. A builder who's...
  11. Bob_in_OKC

How about a little physics talk?

I sometimes hear mention in this forum of centripetal force, including one mention in yet another of many RCM threads. So, anyone up for a detailed discussion, preferably with some examples for the layman? Where and how are centripetal forces at work, in practical terms? Anyone ready to take a...
  12. Bob_in_OKC

Did you go to college?

Did you go to college? Yes or no? Why or why not? Where and why? Wish you had? Wish you hadn't? Let's hear about your college or non-college experience. Anyone here got a PhD? Did you meet your spouse there?
  13. Bob_in_OKC

Thumbs up for specialidiot

I bought a cartridge from specialidiot and it arrived lightning fast, exactly as described. Very nice transaction. :banana:
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Suit up?

How often do you wear a suit? Do you wear one to work? If so, what do you do for a living? Do you wear a suit to only weddings and funerals? Graduations? Holiday parties? What is the state of the suit at AK? I'll start: I'm down to weddings, funerals, and our office holiday party. I...
  15. Bob_in_OKC

Linda Ronstadt said this.

I've always thought the pop music world regarded Linda Ronstadt as one of the best singers of her generation. I saw in a magazine interview about her memoir, she said this: "I always thought I couldn't sing very well," she acknowledges. "I was always very frustrated by it, and I was always...
  16. Bob_in_OKC

Go big or go home

I am considering additional Audio Research equipment, but it doesn't fit in my shelves. The DAC8, for example, is 19 inches wide, and the inside clear width of my shelves is 17.5 inches. I could move the turntable to a wall bracket and put the DAC or a phono preamp in its place. Anyone got...
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Defend extended warranties for me

My wife is about to buy a 2011 certified pre-owned Infiniti and she wants to buy an extended warranty from the dealer. I've negotiated the deal for her past 2 cars and I don't want her to feel like I don't trust her judgment or respect her ability to handle these things. But the deal is - I...
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Over the air TV - An antenna that truly works?

Ever since the end of analog TV broadcasts, I've been wondering about a TV antenna that would work in my location, which is the the near northeast side of Dallas. The TV towers are to the southwest, so I suspect the city between me and the towers might have something to do with the fact that I...
  19. Bob_in_OKC

Appearances

Do you have a particular idea in mind about how your turntable must look? Let's hear about it. Do you favor wood grain? Silver? Colors? No preference? Do you like to see things working, in a machine aesthetic way? Lights? Strobes?
  20. Bob_in_OKC

The updated mancave movie setup

For use with movies, TV, or when I don't need the main setup, I've got a new Pyle PFA200 Class T amp that looks like a re-badged Lepai, a pair of Minimus 7 speakers, a Velodyne sub that doesn't appear in the photo, and a Blu-ray player. This also makes for a decent place to plug in a...
  21. Bob_in_OKC

Shure V15 users: Given the capacitance recommendation, what are your cables?

The title pretty much says it. We know the capacitance recommendation for the Shure V15 cartridges. So how are we responding to it? What kind of phono cables? Got a setting on your phono preamp that can get you there, along with your tonearm wires? Ignoring the recommendation?
  22. Bob_in_OKC

How much to tip a valet?

If I leave my car with the complimentary valet in the big city, I usually tip $5. Last night, however, I went to a restaurant that is valet-only parking, and the fee is $5 paid when I left the car. When we left and the valet returned with the car, I gave him another $3 as a tip. What's usual...
  23. Bob_in_OKC

Dallas area record stores

In the Dallas area, I am aware of the following places to shop for used records and CDs: Half-price Books Movie Trading Company CD Source Good Records Bill's Forever Young I think that's all I know of. Am I missing anything?
  24. Bob_in_OKC

Good transaction with Supercool

I bought an LP from Supercool and it was a very nice transaction. A good deal, quick shipping, well packed.
  25. Bob_in_OKC

Thumbs up for mrjbq

Thumbs up for mrjbq as a seller. Super guy.
Back
Top Bottom