Search results

1. R

Hi Allen -- I decided to take the listing down because no-one had bid on it, and I haven't had a...

Hi Allen -- I decided to take the listing down because no-one had bid on it, and I haven't had a chance to test it. So it is still available. It is very heavy, so shipping pretty much anywhere is going to be expensive. I'm located about 70 miles north of NYC. Perhaps shipping it to NYC would be...
  2. R

Behringer A800 and KEF LS50?

OK, here's a weird question... Someone near and dear to me has a pair of KEF LS50 (the older version, not the META). He's been playing them from a 30 year old Marantz AV receiver. I suggested to him that the receiver may be getting sluggish power supply issues from drying out electrolytic...
  3. R

The official Fairchild 412 registry thread!

What type of long belt are you all using on your 412 'tables? FRX35.1 or FRL35.1? Or doesn't it matter? (I need to replace the long belt on the one I just got.) SN 6684 Motor says 29, Mrz. 1960 It has a Fairchild 500 tonearm on it, wired for stereo.
  4. R

Replacement belts for Fairchild 412 turntable?

I just got a Fairchild 412-1A in pretty good condition. It was playing records fairly well until I tried to clean one with the record spinning, at which point the long belt fell off the platter. I think the belt must be old and stretched out, because it comes off at the slightest provocation...
  5. R

Fairchild 412 Turntable - Finally Starting the Rebuild...

Did you ever find out where to get the belts for the 412? I've found two different belts that sellers claim to be the correct replacement. The inside circumference is 35.1 inches, but there are two different versions, with two different thicknesses and widths. - FRL35.1 has Inner...
  6. R

The Gray Research 108 tonearm and its many clones

Hey, thanks! Sorry it took me so long to see your reply (*exactly* a year!) . 8.875" = 225.425 mm pivot-spindle distance I wonder if the Velvet Touch version of this arm is copied after the Gray Research 108B. That's the one that looks the most like it, but that doesn't guarantee anything...
  7. R

The Gray Research 108 tonearm and its many clones

Does anyone know where I can find accurate specs for the shorter version (nominally 9") Velvet Touch tonearm? What is the precise pivot-spindle distance for that tonearm?
  8. R

Repair/replace Snell JII woofers or something new?

Re: replacing Snell woofer foam surrounds.... The problem with getting Snell woofers re-foamed is that the generic foam surround kits are too stiff, which raises the resonant frequency of the woofer and changes the bass response of the speaker. Up until recently, the best match to the...
  9. R

ART DJ Pre II op amps ?

Texas Instruments LME49721 opamp data sheet I wonder if the opamp used in the ART DJPre II is the ti LME47921... http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49721.pdf Or maybe TL972I... http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/180779/TI/TL972ID.html ?? The LME47921 is one very fancy part. I...
  10. R

Schiit Mani - The New $129 MM/MC Phono Stage from Schiit Audio

All I can gather from these threads is that the Schiit Mani sounds good, that it has an MC input with 47 ohm load Z (good for many MC carts, but not DL103) and an MM input with 47k ohm load Z (good for most MM carts, but not all high output MC carts like DL110), and it only has unbalanced...
  11. R

Old receiver - Panel light bulb replacement question

Hi everybody, I have a question. First, a little background info that leads to the question: I have a tube line amp that I put a #47 bulb in for its power on lamp. It's wired to the 6.3V AC heater supply. #47 lamp is rated 6.3V 150mA. I found that it burned out too quickly, so I swapped...
  12. R

I broke it! Pioneer PL-400 Record size switch help.

I FIXED IT! Turns out the step-by-step in the service manual was misleading. First off, I disregarded the text directions and just arranged those springs so that they line up as in Fig. 6.3. So the picture in the first post is WRONG. An explanation of what I did is here. FWIW, I'd...
  13. R

I broke it! Pioneer PL-400 Record size switch help.

Hi all, I hope someone can help me out of a real jam. I just found this nice Pioneer PL-400 turntable. Got it cleaned up, it was working fine. Should have left well enough alone, but... I thought I could maybe "improve" it by adding some damping to its chassis. Big mistake. :o Putting it back...
  14. R

Best Tannoy Dual Concentrics's

Zombie thread rises from the dead... (care of Google search) I have a pair of the earlier System 8 NFM (not NFM II). The gray cabs with the shiny black panel inserts on the top, sides and bottom. I find that they have a 'sizzle' in the high frequencies that turns me off. But they sound like...
  15. R

Hi Seth -- My name is Ron, and I have a Sony PS-X5 turntable I'm hoping can be made to work...

Hi Seth -- My name is Ron, and I have a Sony PS-X5 turntable I'm hoping can be made to work. It's in good shape but has the problem where the arm lifts up, moves over the record, then returns to the tonearm rest and the 'table powers off. I'd gladly use it as a manual, if it had a manual mode --...
  16. R

Shure M97xE vs. Denon DL-110. A Review and Ramblings (Long Read)

Back from the dead I'm sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but there are some things I wanted to put in, for the record. I guess the DL110 has a rep of being bright and/or a bit harsh in the trebles. OK, I have something to add about that. Denon themselves recommend using an...
  17. R

Sanyo TP 1030UM: pics and question

I just got a TP-1030 off the ol' ebay. I figured I'd post my thoughts on it for posterity, and for anybody shopping for one of these things in the future. First off, don't pay a lot. I paid way too much. Anything over $50 *including shipping* is too much, in my opinion. This is a *budget*...
  18. R

Considering a PS-X5, please help a newb!

Oops, lost track of this for almost a year. Moved a couple of months ago, now just getting my stuff set up again. I'm in the New York City area. Actually a little north of there, but close enough. Any turntable-savvy tech you'd recommend for fixing an old Sony PS-X5?
  19. R

Speakers: What do you own?

I'll pile on. These are just the "hi-fi" worthy ones I've owned or worked with extensively... Used at home: - Dynaco A25 (back in the 1970s) - B&W DM100 (bought new in 1984) - KLH 6 (vintage late 1960s, purch used around 2000) - Tannoy T185 Dorset (10" concentric with passive radiator...
  20. R

Klipsch sound (on a low budget) - Will I hate it?

Hi there. I'm not a regularly lurking member here, but I visit quite a bit. I found a pair of big 15 yr old Klipsch speakers for sale near me. Model kg4.5. I haven't heard them yet. It'll take a few days before I can meet with the seller. I'm hoping people here can help me decide if it's...
  21. R

OK, thanks. After I looked at the PS-X6/7 service guide from vinylengine, I kind of expected the answer to be something like that. It's rather complex for me. I'll give it a try, but if I get in trouble... Do you know of a service person in the Northeast US you'd recommend for fixing...
  22. R

need HELP with Sony PS-X5 turntable...pls.

Hi all, I took a chance and got a PS-X5 from ebay, and sure enough, I'm having that same auto-return problem. It seems that this is a common problem with this table, so I was wondering... How difficult would it be to disable the auto-play and auto-return functions and convert the 'table...
  23. R

Just got a Sony PS-X5 off of ebay. Seems to be in very good shape, but of course it has the problem where it lowers the tonearm to the record for a second, then picks it up and returns it to the tonearm rest, then lowers the tonearm, returns it to the rest, and on and on... I wouldn't mind...
  24. R

new to forum - question re: balanced phono preamp

Hi there. I'm new here, so if I go astray, please go easy on me... My audio mania (audiophilia nervosa v. analogica?) was dormant for a while, but it appears to have relapsed. I'm thinking of building a tube phono preamp for a moving magnet cartridge. Just got a Technics SL-1200MK2 so I...
  25. R

just curious RCA manual tube amps

Re: RCA RIAA phono preamp: There used to be a circuit board for the RCA RIAA phono preamp available, maybe about ten years ago(?). I had that board lying in a drawer for a few years until I finally built a preamp for my brother with it. I used 1N4148 diodes in the first stage cathode and...
Back
Top Bottom