Search results

1. Horn Head

Rx For the Magnavox 8800 Series

Haven't been on AK in earnest for a few years. But in the process of encouraging a nephew to learn and contribute here, of course I followed my own advice......and immediately saw this thread. Fantastic! Thanks dcg for the time and effort put into this (not forgetting all else you've shared...
  2. Horn Head

Magnavox Concert Grand Score

I thought those schematics were posted somewhere in this thread, along with a bunch of other CG info and documentation. Haven't on the been on here for a bit, sadly. But funny, I myself was just searching for the 8201 schematics on the web with no luck,,,,,wanted to see how that crossover in...
  3. Horn Head

Altec 817a, new toys

Is the A7 that shadow on the left in the first pic?? Great acquisition! Don't know much about the 921s.....(may be a silly question but, are they any good?) Wish I had the room for something like those - just to place them in a physically proportional spot. But contrary to many other...
  4. Horn Head

Adding volume pot to Magnavox 8802 amp

Thanks for this info.....really helps out novices like me. Hadn't heard this explained like this before, and now actually makes sense. One more excellent info nugget in the kit bag.....
  5. Horn Head

Bottlehead Upgrade Price?

If the stock power cord is of sufficient guage with low resistance, I couldn't imagine any difference in sound possible with some exotic power cable.
  6. Horn Head

Curtis Mathes Console

The metal plates around the power transformer are interesting. Is that supposed to be a heat sink? Never saw that before.
  7. Horn Head

What would you do with these EV speakers?

Wow, never would have guessed that anyone would consider those speakers ugly; especially in the speaker forum. I think they're absolutely beautiful - could use a good cleaning and maybe some touch-up paint, etc. But I guess to each his own. To the OP....give em some time. They may grow...
  8. Horn Head

They're too quiet, I think they are planning something...

Love how those plastic shelves are bending.
  9. Horn Head

Vintage quad receiver starting to sound harsh/blaring

If you have a multimeter, check the DC offset. Turn the receiver on and let it warm up for 30 minutes or so without speakers. Then, with volume at 0, tone controls at center, and I guess two channel mode on (don't know much about these quad rcvrs), set your meter to DC volts (low range) and...
  10. Horn Head

No reason you can't stuff them into your bedroom powered with a small SE EL84 amp. Just get rid of that bed that's in the way....sleepingbag technology has come a long way in recent years. It'll be worth it.
  11. Horn Head

Altec Lansing followed me home...

Congratulations on finding a wonderful pair of speakers. They may serve you very well....even with the Pioneer driving them. Welcome to the Altec club.
  12. Horn Head

I wouldn't touch them other than cleaning them up a bit. Gorgeous horns with good quality components. Wondering what's in the bass cabs....a 15B?
  13. Horn Head

Anybody know what these are?

You did well. As for the crossovers....you may want to consider going active crossover with two amps. Seems to make a significant difference at least to me in the quality of sound. However, sourcing or building a second crossover (or new pair) might be simpler and more inexpensive for you in...
  14. Horn Head

Console clues?

If you mean by front loaded that the record changer and control dials were accessed from the front (somtimes behind swing out doors and such), then yes. I would assume those are nearly all tubed units. When the makers started putting the turntables on the top, they were tube....but that style...
  15. Horn Head

Magnavox 6v6 back from restore

Hilarious! The 8802 was was 'gateway' drug of choice too. Now it's powering some Altec 288s on Mantaray horns. Just picked up a Maggie 175 a few weeks ago and will do a restore like you....maybe going a bit further with it though - i.e. different OPTs and some woodwork, etc.... And just my...
  16. Horn Head

Poor lonely console sitting all by itself in the basement of the estate sale...

That is a nice looking console. I can understand your reluctance to part it out. Enjoy it, even if it's in the garage!
  17. Horn Head

Datom Console - Atkins Concert Hall

The cabinet looks very similar to the style/maker of my Stromberg Carlson 920 console' cabinet. Looks like same hardware assemblies too. The finish on your Datom console is the same as mine....though the attached picture of mine looks darker and shinier (but in good light looks just like the...
  18. Horn Head

Anybody know what these are?

Great find! I think you'll find they work quite swell in smaller rooms too. If it's too loud for a smaller room, turn the volume down :)
  19. Horn Head

Best high quality NEW tubes?

Just off the cuff.....Some of the brands you listed, like EH or is it Groove Tubes, don't make tubes. They just rebrand (put their name on) Russian, Chinese, etc tubes. There are some web resources that'll correlate markings on those tubes with the actual manufacturer. For what it's...
  20. Horn Head

Altec Lansing Model 14 What will run these ?

Just for kicks, hook up your Altecs to the headphone out of your smartphone or Ipod and listen. You maybe be surprised at how little power is necessary to make them listenable.
  21. Horn Head

New Altec Horns

So after years of searching for a better horn system for my home stereo, I’ve manage to accumulate some good pieces and have powered up an interim system. For the time being I’m running some Altec Mantaray MRII594s driven with some Altec 28816Ks. Filling out the bottom end are JBL 2226 woofers...
  22. Horn Head

Cleaning tubes, sockets and pins?

Don't use contact cleaner that has lube in it....the residue could result in electric arcing between pins. Perhaps the straight contact cleaner would do OK. I use denatured alchohol and either pipe cleaners or one of those wire-fed welder tip cleaner tools (if the sockets are heavily...
  23. Horn Head

Old speaker for an old amp ?

Try one of the magnavox console 12" woofers from that era. Or even most any 12" from a console or old organ, and from later years as well. These are a dime a dozen and can sound really good ina guitar amp. Especially something like a PP 6V6 or PP 6BQ5.
  24. Horn Head

Tube Amp How Quiet Is Quiet?

My modified Magnavox 8802 is absolutely dead quiet (and I'll add that the total investment is maybe under $100 since folks are mentioning price points). Playing through some EV cornerhorns - very sensitive - can slightly detect some 'air' (but not noise) when ear is within 3" of the T-35...
  25. Horn Head

altec help

Nice find. Seems like they may have gotten wet or have been in high-humidity.....based on the cabinets falling apart and the discoloration on the 811 horns in the pic. Open up the 806 drivers to make sure they're functional. Don't know much about ribbons.
Back
Top Bottom